PC Won't boot up automatically

I'm running XP Home.......when I turn on my PC, the screen goes directly to a
black screen asking me to press F1 for startup or DEL to enter setup, and
then goes no further......it used to boot up to the desktop automatically but
now stops at this stage, until I press F1, which is a pain.

Someone told me that possibly the BIOS has been altered, but I didn't fancy
messing with anything until I've got some decent advice.

Any suggestions ?

Andrew

Hi

Restart your PC and then keep tapping the F8 key. You may be able to access
a screen that has 'Lat Known Good Configuration' as one of the options. Try
that to see if you can access Windows.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"andrewt67" <andrewt67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running XP Home.......when I turn on my PC, the screen goes directly
> to a
> black screen asking me to press F1 for startup or DEL to enter setup, and
> then goes no further......it used to boot up to the desktop automatically
> but
> now stops at this stage, until I press F1, which is a pain.
>
> Someone told me that possibly the BIOS has been altered, but I didn't
> fancy
> messing with anything until I've got some decent advice.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Andrew

Andrew,

Try resetting the defaults in the BIOS Setup. Refer to the manual which
accompanied with the system.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User