Keep Getting Search Windows When Opening Files

For some reason tonight my computer decided that when I try to open a file by
double clicking on a file icon, it brings up a search window with the little
wizard fellow. If I right click and open up the file that way, no problem.
Just everytime I double click to open any file, I'm off to a search window
with the subject of the search whatever file I was trying to open. I'm
guessing there is a simple fix but I don't have a clue. It's darn annoying.
Please....help!

Your kind assistance will be heartily appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about keep search windows opening files

    Hi

    Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:

    Line 18 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Dr. Zoidberg" <DrZoidberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason tonight my computer decided that when I try to open a file
    > by
    > double clicking on a file icon, it brings up a search window with the
    > little
    > wizard fellow. If I right click and open up the file that way, no problem.
    > Just everytime I double click to open any file, I'm off to a search window
    > with the subject of the search whatever file I was trying to open. I'm
    > guessing there is a simple fix but I don't have a clue. It's darn
    > annoying.
    > Please....help!
    >
    > Your kind assistance will be heartily appreciated.

    Will;

    I was a little uneasy mucking around with the registry, but took a deep
    breath and went for it. That took care of the problem. I suppose I should
    cloud my mind further with trying to figure out how it happened.

    Thanks ever so much.

    Gerry

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >
    > Line 18 - right hand side

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Dr. Zoidberg" <DrZoidberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason tonight my computer decided that when I try to open a file
    > > by
    > > double clicking on a file icon, it brings up a search window with the
    > > little
    > > wizard fellow. If I right click and open up the file that way, no problem.
    > > Just everytime I double click to open any file, I'm off to a search window
    > > with the subject of the search whatever file I was trying to open. I'm
    > > guessing there is a simple fix but I don't have a clue. It's darn
    > > annoying.
    > > Please....help!
    > >
    > > Your kind assistance will be heartily appreciated.

    Hi

    If you do edit the Registry at any time there is a very good program to
    backup/restore it:

    ERUNT
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    --

    > Will;
    >
    > I was a little uneasy mucking around with the registry, but took a deep
    > breath and went for it. That took care of the problem. I suppose I should
    > cloud my mind further with trying to figure out how it happened.
    >
    > Thanks ever so much.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >>
    >> Line 18 - right hand side
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Dr. Zoidberg" <DrZoidberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > For some reason tonight my computer decided that when I try to open a
    >> > file
    >> > by
    >> > double clicking on a file icon, it brings up a search window with the
    >> > little
    >> > wizard fellow. If I right click and open up the file that way, no
    >> > problem.
    >> > Just everytime I double click to open any file, I'm off to a search
    >> > window
    >> > with the subject of the search whatever file I was trying to open. I'm
    >> > guessing there is a simple fix but I don't have a clue. It's darn
    >> > annoying.
    >> > Please....help!
    >> >
    >> > Your kind assistance will be heartily appreciated.

    Gerry,

    >> I suppose I should cloud my mind further with trying to figure out how it
    >> happened.

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Dr. Zoidberg" <DrZoidberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Will;
    >
    > I was a little uneasy mucking around with the registry, but took a deep
    > breath and went for it. That took care of the problem. I suppose I should
    > cloud my mind further with trying to figure out how it happened.
    >
    > Thanks ever so much.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:
    >>
    >> Line 18 - right hand side
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Dr. Zoidberg" <DrZoidberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > For some reason tonight my computer decided that when I try to open a
    >> > file
    >> > by
    >> > double clicking on a file icon, it brings up a search window with the
    >> > little
    >> > wizard fellow. If I right click and open up the file that way, no
    >> > problem.
    >> > Just everytime I double click to open any file, I'm off to a search
    >> > window
    >> > with the subject of the search whatever file I was trying to open. I'm
    >> > guessing there is a simple fix but I don't have a clue. It's darn
    >> > annoying.
    >> > Please....help!
    >> >
    >> > Your kind assistance will be heartily appreciated.

Support Microsoft Windows XP