2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
As high as possible =)
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not relevant, typically have access to a power source
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Possibly, I play black ops 2 / dota 2 / Darkfall - but this is not a make-or-break aspect to the laptop
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Run unbuntu 12.04 under dual boot (have windows 7 in the other boot)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
200+gb - I'd love to have an SSD if possible
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
So long as the hardware is robust, and the MBs don't fail - I should be alright. I'm comfortable servicing most problems (I just don't want something known for dead MB)
13. What country do you live in?
USA / NY
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
This laptop will 90% be used for me at work, and to take home and do work. I'm writing python in ubuntu, so I like a good snappy laptop. I don't want something that weighs too much, as I have to take it on a train / subway / walk 3 blocks to get to-and-from work.
I typically run 3-4 CLI windows and use a 2nd monitor to run a browser. I would love if my new laptop could have a high-enough resolution that I don't feel like I'm shuffling windows like a maniac (like my current 14" 1024x768).
I'm also open to user/refurbished machines - so long as they're guaranteed in some way. I have purchased laptops from craigslist / ebay without a problem before - I just don't know what models to be looking for - and what price range is reasonable now.