Low Virtual Memory

I'm receiving the following error message when booting up....

"Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of
your virtual memory paging file. during this process, memory requests for
some applications may be denied. For more information, see help"

Boot up is very slow (5 mins) and the Paging File size is set at 116mb. I've
tried to change it to 191mb but it won't take it.

Total RAM is 256mb.

I'm assuming it's a corrupt Paging File. Can this be sorted without doing a
Windows Repair?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory

    Hi

    Please have a look at the following article by the late Alex Nichol:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    > I'm receiving the following error message when booting up....
    >
    > "Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of
    > your virtual memory paging file. during this process, memory requests for
    > some applications may be denied. For more information, see help"
    >
    > Boot up is very slow (5 mins) and the Paging File size is set at 116mb.
    > I've
    > tried to change it to 191mb but it won't take it.
    >
    > Total RAM is 256mb.
    >
    > I'm assuming it's a corrupt Paging File. Can this be sorted without doing
    > Windows Repair?
    >
    > Thanks.

    > I'm receiving the following error message when booting up....
    >
    > "Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of
    > your virtual memory paging file. during this process, memory requests for
    > some applications may be denied. For more information, see help"
    >
    > Boot up is very slow (5 mins) and the Paging File size is set at 116mb.
    > I've
    > tried to change it to 191mb but it won't take it.
    >
    > Total RAM is 256mb.
    >
    > I'm assuming it's a corrupt Paging File. Can this be sorted without doing
    > Windows Repair?
    >
    > Thanks

    What are you doing when this happens? If it something like editing large
    grahics try more RAM.
    The paging file is on your hard disk- If you think it is corrupt have you
    tried checking your disk for file and allocation errors using the built in
    Windows Tools? You could also delete the paging file then recreate it.

    "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I'm receiving the following error message when booting up....
    >
    >"Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of
    >your virtual memory paging file. during this process, memory requests for
    >some applications may be denied. For more information, see help"
    >
    >Boot up is very slow (5 mins) and the Paging File size is set at 116mb. I've
    >tried to change it to 191mb but it won't take it.
    >
    >Total RAM is 256mb.
    >
    >I'm assuming it's a corrupt Paging File. Can this be sorted without doing a
    >Windows Repair?
    >
    >Thanks.

    116 mb is away too small for the paging file on a 256 mb system.

    Try changing it to "system managed size". Make sure you click on the
    Set button (twice) before clicking on OK and that you reboot the
    computer to put the new settings into effect.

    If this does not make the change then try booting into Safe Mode and
    then making the changes to the paging file. And again make sure you
    click on the Set button before clicking on OK.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP