Something (a process?) runs every two minutes

A friend has a new HP desktop with Win XP Home. He told me that something
pops up - usually every two minutes - and nothing happens.

I saw the following: stop all active programs, click the desktop, wait a
while, and sure enough, the cursor gets a small hourglass and then returns
to normal. If you are in any other program when this happens, you lose
focus and have to regain it manually.

I'm at a loss as to how to detect what, exactly, is going on.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to monitor this to determine
the culprit?

Thanks!

Larry

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Larry Kahm" wrote:

| A friend has a new HP desktop with Win XP Home. He told me that something
| pops up - usually every two minutes - and nothing happens.
|
| I saw the following: stop all active programs, click the desktop, wait a
| while, and sure enough, the cursor gets a small hourglass and then returns
| to normal. If you are in any other program when this happens, you lose
| focus and have to regain it manually.
|
| I'm at a loss as to how to detect what, exactly, is going on.
|
| Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to monitor this to determine
| the culprit?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Larry

Thanks - this is more comprehensive than a list I found searching Google
earlier today.

Turns out that Norton Personal Firewall was logging an attempt by MSMSGS.EXE
to access the internet.

Now why msmsgs.exe needs to access the internet every 2 minutes, I have no
idea. But what's annoying is that the NPF log causes the loss of focus by
the current application.

Thanks to everyone for pointing out some really terrific tools.

Larry

"Larry Kahm" <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote in message
>A friend has a new HP desktop with Win XP Home. He told me that something
>pops up - usually every two minutes - and nothing happens.
>
> I saw the following: stop all active programs, click the desktop, wait a
> while, and sure enough, the cursor gets a small hourglass and then returns
> to normal. If you are in any other program when this happens, you lose
> focus and have to regain it manually.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how to detect what, exactly, is going on.
>
> Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to monitor this to determine
> the culprit?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Larry

Sysinternals Freeware - Utilities for Windows NT and Windows 2000 - Process
Explorer:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Larry Kahm" <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote in message
>A friend has a new HP desktop with Win XP Home. He told me that something
>pops up - usually every two minutes - and nothing happens.
>
> I saw the following: stop all active programs, click the desktop, wait a
> while, and sure enough, the cursor gets a small hourglass and then returns
> to normal. If you are in any other program when this happens, you lose
> focus and have to regain it manually.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how to detect what, exactly, is going on.
>
> Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to monitor this to determine
> the culprit?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Larry

Perfect!

> Sysinternals Freeware - Utilities for Windows NT and Windows 2000 -
> Process Explorer:
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "Larry Kahm" <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote in message
>>A friend has a new HP desktop with Win XP Home. He told me that something
>>pops up - usually every two minutes - and nothing happens.
>>
>> I saw the following: stop all active programs, click the desktop, wait a
>> while, and sure enough, the cursor gets a small hourglass and then
>> returns to normal. If you are in any other program when this happens,
>> you lose focus and have to regain it manually.
>>
>> I'm at a loss as to how to detect what, exactly, is going on.
>>
>> Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to monitor this to determine
>> the culprit?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Larry

Audit Process Tracking - turn it on and wait 2 minutes then look in the security log. Turn it off.

All terms used can be searched for in Help.
"Larry Kahm" <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote in message news:LR8ze.10227$vE5.5236@trndny07...
> Perfect!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Sysinternals Freeware - Utilities for Windows NT and Windows 2000 -
>> Process Explorer:
>> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "Larry Kahm" <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote in message
>>>A friend has a new HP desktop with Win XP Home. He told me that something
>>>pops up - usually every two minutes - and nothing happens.
>>>
>>> I saw the following: stop all active programs, click the desktop, wait a
>>> while, and sure enough, the cursor gets a small hourglass and then
>>> returns to normal. If you are in any other program when this happens,
>>> you lose focus and have to regain it manually.
>>>
>>> I'm at a loss as to how to detect what, exactly, is going on.
>>>
>>> Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to monitor this to determine
>>> the culprit?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Larry

People on your contact list need to know your status.