How to install a .inf

I am trying to install a codec, and when I uncompress it, it only has a .inf
(no exe). The instructions said to right click and then hit "install", but
I don't have that option when I right click. I've also tried using Add New
Programs from the Control Panel, but that doesn't work either.

Please help

Jeff C
3 answers Last reply
More about install

    "JC Home" <jc@noreply.invalid> wrote in message
    >I am trying to install a codec, and when I uncompress it, it only has a
    >.inf (no exe). The instructions said to right click and then hit
    >"install", but I don't have that option when I right click. I've also
    >tried using Add New Programs from the Control Panel, but that doesn't work
    >either.
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Jeff C

    Right click on the inf file. Read the menu and choose the appropriate
    option.

    All is says is "Open", and this opens in Notepad. Is there some way to run
    it from a command prompt?

    Thanks

    --
    Jeff Ciaccio
    Dallas, GA

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

    > "JC Home" <jc@noreply.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to install a codec, and when I uncompress it, it only has a
    >>.inf (no exe). The instructions said to right click and then hit
    >>"install", but I don't have that option when I right click. I've also
    >>tried using Add New Programs from the Control Panel, but that doesn't work
    >>either.
    >>
    >> Please help
    >>
    >> Jeff C
    >>

    > Right click on the inf file. Read the menu and choose the appropriate
    > option.

    Ahhh.... I had to extract the files first. I was trying to right click on
    the inf while viewing it while still compressed.

    All's well.

    Jeff C
    > All is says is "Open", and this opens in Notepad. Is there some way to
    > run it from a command prompt?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Ciaccio
    > Dallas, GA
    >
    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JC Home" <jc@noreply.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>I am trying to install a codec, and when I uncompress it, it only has a
    >>>.inf (no exe). The instructions said to right click and then hit
    >>>"install", but I don't have that option when I right click. I've also
    >>>tried using Add New Programs from the Control Panel, but that doesn't
    >>>work either.
    >>>
    >>> Please help
    >>>
    >>> Jeff C
    >>>

    >> Right click on the inf file. Read the menu and choose the appropriate
    >> option.

Microsoft Windows XP