My GeForce2 MX.....64 or 128 Memory Interface ?

dbunger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just bought a GeForce2 MX and read on Toms site that they can come in a 64 or 128 bit memory interface. I have looked on the box and on the manufatures web site and no where does it say what memory interface my card has (it has 32 meg of SDRAM). Is their a way to look at the physical card or chip to tell what interface my card has ? thx

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it probably 64 because he said the 64 sdram will be about 120, which they are

TBird 800 - Asus A7V 1005a
256 PC133 - Maxtor 45GB ATA100
Radeon 32DDR - SB Live MP3+

G

The only Geforce2 MX - DDR available now is from Creative. As far as i know, this card only has 64mb-memory bandwith. The others like Leaktek,Hecules, Asus , Visiontk.... have 128 bandwith. Get a Geforce 256- DDR or Geforce2-MX SDR if you can or go for GTS2.

G

Like lvlong said.... the majority (all but Creative Labs) of MX cards use SDRAM with a 128 bit 'pipe'. The CL card uses DDRAM, but with a 64 bit 'pipe'. Due to how SDRAM and DDRAM operate, the SDRAM on 128bits is faster than the DDRAM with 64bits.

Hope that helps.

G

The two most common versions are 64-bit/DDR and 128-bit/SDR. You can tell whether the memory chips are 64-bit or 128-bit by looking at them: if they have legs on all four edges then they're 128, if they only have legs on two sides they're 64. It's easy to tell so long as (like most MX) there are no heatsinks on the chips.

There is little performance difference between the 64/DDR and 128/SDR. I think Creative's Blaster GeForce MX is DDR, whereas most others are SDR.

They both have the same memory bandwidth. I haven't seen any 128/DDR cards yet, but they'll come. Sometime.

G

Vert, the SDRAM version is slightly faster... due to DDRAM not being quite twice as fast as SDRAM (and therefore not able to make up for only half the memory bus).

Also, we will never see DDRAM 128bit GF2MXs. Because NVIDIA does not want the 'low end' GF2MX to compete with their more powerful (and more expensive) GF2.

G

only the geforce2 gts will have 128bit ddr. the mx wont ever

G

Vert, the SDRAM version is slightly faster... due to DDRAM not being quite twice as fast as SDRAM (and therefore not able to make up for only half the memory bus).

Yeah, okay. I said nearly. I think the difference on average is as little as 5%. I supp the SDRAM version has more scope for overclocking, though. And I was just guessing about 128/DDR.