PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
restarted.

Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

David

This exact thing happened to me. Did you find a way to get the taskbar back?

--
Mr Myth

"David Ray" wrote:

> PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
> it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
> restarted.
>
> Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
> desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> David

This exact thing happened to me, except on a Home edition computer.

I can run programs from the task manager but I can't run Explore.exe to get
the taskbar back. I get an error that says the file cannot be found.

I have run AVG antivirus and found many viruses, but the problem still
persists. I also ran Adaware on it to see if it was adware. Still the same
problem. Occured after using Microsoft Antispyware Beta.

I have found posts on other sites but no definitive answer.
--
Mr Myth

"David Ray" wrote:

> PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
> it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
> restarted.
>
> Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
> desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> David

This behavior gets more bizarre by the minute. After reading your post I
started looking at explorer.exe (which won't run, either).

If you look in C:\Windows, explorer.exe is clearly present. Yet, when you
try to run it, you get explorer.exe not found. I've run CHKDSK, no help.
Deleted explorer.exe, verify it is deleted. Wait 10 seconds, it reappears.
By itself.

The task list is as follows:

TASKMGR.EXE
SPOOLSV.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
CMD.EXE (MY DOS BOX)
LSASS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE
CSRSS.EXE
SMSS.EXE
System
System Idle Process

Any other suggestions?

TIA

"Mr Myth" <MrMyth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This exact thing happened to me, except on a Home edition computer.
>
> I can run programs from the task manager but I can't run Explore.exe to
get
> the taskbar back. I get an error that says the file cannot be found.
>
> I have run AVG antivirus and found many viruses, but the problem still
> persists. I also ran Adaware on it to see if it was adware. Still the same
> problem. Occured after using Microsoft Antispyware Beta.
>
> I have found posts on other sites but no definitive answer.
> --
> Mr Myth
>

> "David Ray" wrote:
>
> > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to
get
> > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan
we
> > restarted.
> >
> > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally
blank
> > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > David

Hello David

I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
these users to admin but still no login.
I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
required.
--
Kind Regards,
TL

"David Ray" wrote:

> PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
> it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
> restarted.
>
> Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
> desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> David

I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around through various
departments for about a half an hour, they said that I would have to do a
clean install.

--
Mr Myth

"TL" wrote:

> Hello David
>
> I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
> severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
> Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
> I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
> files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
> select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
> online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
> deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
> these users to admin but still no login.
> I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
> required.
> --
> Kind Regards,
> TL
>

> "David Ray" wrote:
>
> > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
> > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
> > restarted.
> >
> > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
> > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > David

Has anyone tried this?

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:

Mr Myth

"Mr Myth" wrote:

> I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around through various
> departments for about a half an hour, they said that I would have to do a
> clean install.
>
> --
> Mr Myth
>

> "TL" wrote:
>
> > Hello David
> >
> > I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
> > severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
> > Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
> > I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
> > files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
> > select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
> > online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
> > deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
> > these users to admin but still no login.
> > I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
> > required.
> > --
> > Kind Regards,
> > TL
> >

> > "David Ray" wrote:
> >
> > > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
> > > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
> > > restarted.
> > >
> > > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
> > > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > David

I tried the taskbar repair tool above and it did nothing.
--
Mr Myth

"Mr Myth" wrote:

> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:

> Mr Myth
>

> "Mr Myth" wrote:
>
> > I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around through various
> > departments for about a half an hour, they said that I would have to do a
> > clean install.
> >
> > --
> > Mr Myth
> >

> > "TL" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello David
> > >
> > > I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
> > > severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
> > > Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
> > > I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
> > > files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
> > > select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
> > > online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
> > > deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
> > > these users to admin but still no login.
> > > I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
> > > required.
> > > --
> > > Kind Regards,
> > > TL

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I tried the taskbar repair tool above and it did nothing.
> --
> Mr Myth
>

> "Mr Myth" wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried this?
> >
> > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
> >
> > --
> > Mr Myth
> >

> > "Mr Myth" wrote:
> >
> > > I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around
> through various
> > > departments for about a half an hour, they said that I
> would have to do a
> > > clean install.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mr Myth

> entered today but not so
> some spyware using
> I used the Ad-Aware
> disconnected. I recovered the
> this allowed me to
> file to retain
> but I have not
> function again as I change
> XP analyze said not

> process of trying to get
> Antispyware), after a scan we

> comes to a totally blank
> functionality, etc.

This is becasue it is not the taks bar that is broken, it is explorer.
And i laph at what microsoft said to do, i can think of ways of whcih
to try and repair explorer, but it is realy complicated and realy i
would actualy have to be at the computer that is broken to make sure
all went well. but here is a "basic" out line of what i personaly
would do. I would use a proccess manger (not task manger, a much
better proces manager) use this to see what moduals explorere has
loaded and is using, if that failed i would do the same on a computer
of similare configuration, list all the moduls (litraly on a sheet of
paper) find the moduls on a computer where explorer works, copy them
to Recovary Console compatible USB flash memory, launch recovary
console, and replace all moduls using the list i made and files i had
gathered. It is a very long shot, but thats the only thing i can come
up with. Of course it can go deeper then that, if that failed what i
would then do is look at the parent proces for explorer and do exacly
the same, and keep going from parent to parent untill i reachtthe very
top, if it was not working then, it would definitly mean reinstall of
windows. please note i said "basic" at the start :p

EDIT: Any modules which explorer has loded that are obviusly not
suposed to be there i would delete.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-XP-Pro-Login-Problem-ftopict554183.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1763719