XP Pro Login Problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
restarted.

Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

David
8 answers Last reply
More about login problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This exact thing happened to me. Did you find a way to get the taskbar back?

    --
    Mr Myth


    "David Ray" wrote:

    > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
    > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
    > restarted.
    >
    > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
    > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > David
    >
    >
    >
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This exact thing happened to me, except on a Home edition computer.

    I can run programs from the task manager but I can't run Explore.exe to get
    the taskbar back. I get an error that says the file cannot be found.

    I have run AVG antivirus and found many viruses, but the problem still
    persists. I also ran Adaware on it to see if it was adware. Still the same
    problem. Occured after using Microsoft Antispyware Beta.

    I have found posts on other sites but no definitive answer.
    --
    Mr Myth


    "David Ray" wrote:

    > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
    > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
    > restarted.
    >
    > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
    > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > David
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This behavior gets more bizarre by the minute. After reading your post I
    started looking at explorer.exe (which won't run, either).

    If you look in C:\Windows, explorer.exe is clearly present. Yet, when you
    try to run it, you get explorer.exe not found. I've run CHKDSK, no help.
    Deleted explorer.exe, verify it is deleted. Wait 10 seconds, it reappears.
    By itself.

    The task list is as follows:

    TASKMGR.EXE
    SPOOLSV.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    CMD.EXE (MY DOS BOX)
    LSASS.EXE
    SERVICES.EXE
    WINLOGON.EXE
    CSRSS.EXE
    SMSS.EXE
    System
    System Idle Process

    Any other suggestions?

    TIA


    "Mr Myth" <MrMyth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:13C5E7FD-FB08-49C2-9A50-2E3F466D532F@microsoft.com...
    > This exact thing happened to me, except on a Home edition computer.
    >
    > I can run programs from the task manager but I can't run Explore.exe to
    get
    > the taskbar back. I get an error that says the file cannot be found.
    >
    > I have run AVG antivirus and found many viruses, but the problem still
    > persists. I also ran Adaware on it to see if it was adware. Still the same
    > problem. Occured after using Microsoft Antispyware Beta.
    >
    > I have found posts on other sites but no definitive answer.
    > --
    > Mr Myth
    >
    >
    > "David Ray" wrote:
    >
    > > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to
    get
    > > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan
    we
    > > restarted.
    > >
    > > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally
    blank
    > > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > David
    > >
    > >
    > >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hello David

    I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
    severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
    Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
    I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
    files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
    select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
    online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
    deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
    these users to admin but still no login.
    I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
    required.
    --
    Kind Regards,
    TL


    "David Ray" wrote:

    > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
    > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
    > restarted.
    >
    > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
    > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > David
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around through various
    departments for about a half an hour, they said that I would have to do a
    clean install.

    --
    Mr Myth


    "TL" wrote:

    > Hello David
    >
    > I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
    > severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
    > Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
    > I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
    > files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
    > select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
    > online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
    > deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
    > these users to admin but still no login.
    > I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
    > required.
    > --
    > Kind Regards,
    > TL
    >
    >
    > "David Ray" wrote:
    >
    > > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
    > > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
    > > restarted.
    > >
    > > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
    > > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > David
    > >
    > >
    > >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Has anyone tried this?

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    --
    Mr Myth


    "Mr Myth" wrote:

    > I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around through various
    > departments for about a half an hour, they said that I would have to do a
    > clean install.
    >
    > --
    > Mr Myth
    >
    >
    > "TL" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello David
    > >
    > > I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
    > > severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
    > > Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
    > > I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
    > > files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
    > > select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
    > > online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
    > > deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
    > > these users to admin but still no login.
    > > I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
    > > required.
    > > --
    > > Kind Regards,
    > > TL
    > >
    > >
    > > "David Ray" wrote:
    > >
    > > > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
    > > > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
    > > > restarted.
    > > >
    > > > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
    > > > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > David
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I tried the taskbar repair tool above and it did nothing.
    --
    Mr Myth


    "Mr Myth" wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this?
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >
    > --
    > Mr Myth
    >
    >
    > "Mr Myth" wrote:
    >
    > > I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around through various
    > > departments for about a half an hour, they said that I would have to do a
    > > clean install.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mr Myth
    > >
    > >
    > > "TL" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello David
    > > >
    > > > I have a similar problem to you as per my question entered today but not so
    > > > severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted some spyware using
    > > > Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When I used the Ad-Aware
    > > > I quarantined the files and my broadband became disconnected. I recovered the
    > > > files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and this allowed me to
    > > > select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant file to retain
    > > > online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan but I have not
    > > > deleted any registries. I just need all logins to function again as I change
    > > > these users to admin but still no login.
    > > > I have also had to do extensive defragment even though XP analyze said not
    > > > required.
    > > > --
    > > > Kind Regards,
    > > > TL
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "David Ray" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the process of trying to get
    > > > > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft Antispyware), after a scan we
    > > > > restarted.
    > > > >
    > > > > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it comes to a totally blank
    > > > > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button functionality, etc.
    > > > >
    > > > > Any suggestions?
    > > > >
    > > > > TIA
    > > > >
    > > > > David
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > I tried the taskbar repair tool above and it did nothing.
    > --
    > Mr Myth
    >
    >
    > "Mr Myth" wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone tried this?
    > >
    > > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mr Myth
    > >
    > >
    > > "Mr Myth" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I spoke with Microsoft and after being moved around
    > through various
    > > > departments for about a half an hour, they said that I
    > would have to do a
    > > > clean install.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Mr Myth
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "TL" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Hello David
    > > > >
    > > > > I have a similar problem to you as per my question
    > entered today but not so
    > > > > severe as admin users can still login. I also deleted
    > some spyware using
    > > > > Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared and Spyware Doctor. When
    > I used the Ad-Aware
    > > > > I quarantined the files and my broadband became
    > disconnected. I recovered the
    > > > > files and the broadband came back. I used A-Squared and
    > this allowed me to
    > > > > select files to remove thereby not deleting the relevant
    > file to retain
    > > > > online access. The Spyware Doctor has deep registry scan
    > but I have not
    > > > > deleted any registries. I just need all logins to
    > function again as I change
    > > > > these users to admin but still no login.
    > > > > I have also had to do extensive defragment even though
    > XP analyze said not
    > > > > required.
    > > > > --
    > > > > Kind Regards,
    > > > > TL
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > "David Ray" wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > > PC has suffered from spyware problems. During the
    > process of trying to get
    > > > > > it cleaned up (most recently, using Microsoft
    > Antispyware), after a scan we
    > > > > > restarted.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Now, the logon screen comes up, you login, and it
    > comes to a totally blank
    > > > > > desktop. No taskbar or icons, no start button
    > functionality, etc.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Any suggestions?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > TIA
    > > > > >
    > > > > > David
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >

    This is becasue it is not the taks bar that is broken, it is explorer.
    And i laph at what microsoft said to do, i can think of ways of whcih
    to try and repair explorer, but it is realy complicated and realy i
    would actualy have to be at the computer that is broken to make sure
    all went well. but here is a "basic" out line of what i personaly
    would do. I would use a proccess manger (not task manger, a much
    better proces manager) use this to see what moduals explorere has
    loaded and is using, if that failed i would do the same on a computer
    of similare configuration, list all the moduls (litraly on a sheet of
    paper) find the moduls on a computer where explorer works, copy them
    to Recovary Console compatible USB flash memory, launch recovary
    console, and replace all moduls using the list i made and files i had
    gathered. It is a very long shot, but thats the only thing i can come
    up with. Of course it can go deeper then that, if that failed what i
    would then do is look at the parent proces for explorer and do exacly
    the same, and keep going from parent to parent untill i reachtthe very
    top, if it was not working then, it would definitly mean reinstall of
    windows. please note i said "basic" at the start :P

    EDIT: Any modules which explorer has loded that are obviusly not
    suposed to be there i would delete.

    --
    Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-XP-Pro-Login-Problem-ftopict554183.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1763719
Ask a new question

Read More

Login Microsoft Windows XP