Is there a way to automatically reconnect a drive that has..

a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 12:01:12 PM

I use a laptop and travel from my university to my home to my job and
each has devices which I connect to while I am in each location. If I
boot my laptop and it can't find the drive it will disconnect the drive
but keep it there. I want to be able to tell it that the drive is now
available so when I call of form the command line it will give me the
drive I need access to. Is this possible?

basically a net use <drive I want that is available sometimes> /ok it's
available again so connect an map it

i hope my syntax makes sense.

thank you in advance,

john
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 7:31:30 PM

so I can simply reconnect the network cable at home and start moving
data and it should work? I will try it.

I have another question. I have been toying with the idea of going
completely wireless on my home network instead of cables. I figured
out how I can share my internet connection and resources. In theory, I
shouldn't even need to buy a router. This is my question. If I plug
wireless NICS into all machines and then the machine with internet gets
a second, and behaves as a gateway, I shouldn't need a router correct?

I want to run this experiment to see how it works.

Thanks for the help,
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 7:41:29 PM

fwiw
my laptop has it's own hdd plus ten mapped drives. and one available
unmapped drive.
even when the mapped drives show as disconnected a mouse click or run
command line instantly opens or runs whatever path it is aimed at , even on
the unmapped drive provided of course that the remote drive is actively
running on the same network.

"tmt" <john.toliver@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I use a laptop and travel from my university to my home to my job and
> each has devices which I connect to while I am in each location. If I
> boot my laptop and it can't find the drive it will disconnect the drive
> but keep it there. I want to be able to tell it that the drive is now
> available so when I call of form the command line it will give me the
> drive I need access to. Is this possible?
>
> basically a net use <drive I want that is available sometimes> /ok it's
> available again so connect an map it
>
> i hope my syntax makes sense.
>
> thank you in advance,
>
> john

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 9:15:07 PM

I went home and it worked without any user configuration. Thank you
!