Windows Explorer serious problem

When I start the computer I get the message "Windows Explorer has encountered
a problem and needs to close. ...". There are two options- Send error report
or don't sent it. Eather ways the message dissapears (with it all desctop
icons) and after a few seconds all appears again with the same message. The
problem is I cannot open programs- (hardly, but then they freeze) - and I
barely came here to write this post. After several same messages it comes
some "Watson postmortem debugger" message and after that all freezes.
Every time prior to the first win. explorer problem message in the
background appears an empty AVG resident shield window; so I don't know if it
has some connection to the problem.
I scanned for viruses and it didn't solve the problem.
Please, help.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer problem

    "Nebeski" <Nebeski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start the computer I get the message "Windows Explorer has
    > encountered
    > a problem and needs to close. ...". There are two options- Send error
    > report
    > or don't sent it. Eather ways the message dissapears (with it all desctop
    > icons) and after a few seconds all appears again with the same message.
    > The
    > problem is I cannot open programs- (hardly, but then they freeze) - and I
    > barely came here to write this post. After several same messages it comes
    > some "Watson postmortem debugger" message and after that all freezes.
    > Every time prior to the first win. explorer problem message in the
    > background appears an empty AVG resident shield window; so I don't know if
    > it
    > has some connection to the problem.
    > I scanned for viruses and it didn't solve the problem.
    > Please, help.

    Did you check for spyware too?
    Try a system restore point- the last one before your problem.

    Yes, I checked for spyware. I also tried the system restore but it says it
    cannot restore the system...

    > Yes, I checked for spyware. I also tried the system restore but it says it
    > cannot restore the system...

    Look in your help system at the recovery console, perhaps that will help

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> "Nebeski" <Nebeski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> When I start the computer I get the message "Windows Explorer has
    >>> encountered
    >>> a problem and needs to close. ...". There are two options- Send error
    >>> report
    >>> or don't sent it. Eather ways the message dissapears (with it all
    >>> desctop
    >>> icons) and after a few seconds all appears again with the same message.
    >>> The
    >>> problem is I cannot open programs- (hardly, but then they freeze) - and
    >>> barely came here to write this post. After several same messages it
    >>> comes
    >>> some "Watson postmortem debugger" message and after that all freezes.
    >>> Every time prior to the first win. explorer problem message in the
    >>> background appears an empty AVG resident shield window; so I don't know
    >>> if
    >>> it
    >>> has some connection to the problem.
    >>> I scanned for viruses and it didn't solve the problem.
    >>> Please, help.
    >

    >>> Did you check for spyware too?
    >>> Try a system restore point- the last one before your problem.
    >>>

    > "Nebeski" <Nebeski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, I checked for spyware. I also tried the system restore but it says
    >> it
    >> cannot restore the system...
    >>

    > Look in your help system at the recovery console, perhaps that will help

    It may be worth running the system file checker too- sfc /scannow from the
    run menu option.

    Regarding sfc; I have written the key in the run directory but the only thing
    that happens is the appearence of that black window with the explanation and
    keys; but actually it didn't scan anything (it was static) and I couldn't
    write anything on that window..

    As for system recovery; I tried to go back to 2 dates but the same thing
    occurs;
    Something like this;
    "Your computer cannot be restored to":
    -date-
    "In the computer were not done any changes."
    What should I do? :(

    "Alan Smith" wrote:

    > > Look in your help system at the recovery console, perhaps that will help
    > >

    > It may be worth running the system file checker too- sfc /scannow from the
    > run menu option.

    Can you please follow the flow of the conversation if you want people to
    help you. Jumping top to bottom to top loses the flow of the conversation
    because of this making it harder to follow what has been happening- why
    should others have to do this for you when you can easily post to follow the
    conversation? . Some won't even read your posts, never mind reply. The

    > Regarding sfc; I have written the key in the run directory but the only
    > thing
    > that happens is the appearence of that black window with the explanation
    > and
    > keys; but actually it didn't scan anything (it was static) and I couldn't
    > write anything on that window..
    >
    > As for system recovery; I tried to go back to 2 dates but the same thing
    > occurs;
    > Something like this;
    > "Your computer cannot be restored to":
    > -date-
    > "In the computer were not done any changes."
    > What should I do? :(
    >
    > "Alan Smith" wrote:
    >

    >>>When I start the computer I get the message "Windows Explorer has
    >>>encountered
    >>>a problem and needs to close. ...". There are two options- Send error
    >>>report
    >>>or don't sent it. Eather ways the message dissapears (with it all desctop
    >>>icons) and after a few seconds all appears again with the same message.
    >>>The
    >>>problem is I cannot open programs- (hardly, but then they freeze) - and I
    >>>barely came here to write this post. After several same messages it comes
    >>>some "Watson postmortem debugger" message and after that all freezes.
    >>>Every time prior to the first win. explorer problem message in the
    >>>background appears an empty AVG resident shield window; so I don't know
    >>>if it
    >>>has some connection to the problem.
    >>>I scanned for viruses and it didn't solve the problem.
    >>>Please, help.
    > >>

    >> > Look in your help system at the recovery console, perhaps that will
    >> > help
    >> >

    >> It may be worth running the system file checker too- sfc /scannow from
    >> the
    >> run menu option.

    As general help the answer will be able to be found using a search engine
    - but this is where you post should be if you want people to follow what is
    happening and possibly give specific help. It creates a flow of the
    conversation that can be followed and it makes it easier to follow what is
    happening. Why should people have to work any harder to provide you with
    information?- make it easier for people to help you.

Windows Explorer Windows XP