Only 30-50FPS w/GeForce 2 ULTRA!

G

Hey,
I posted this before, but I really want help on this error! I'm using a KT7-RAID 1.1GHz Thunderbird-based system with WinME. The GeForce 2 Ultra card I'm using is Creative's Annihilator 2 Ultra. In Unreal Tournament, in 800x600 resolution with highest graphics settings, I only get from 30-50 FPS! When I tried it earler in 1024x768, I only got 20-30 FPS. I'm really agrivated, and the setup application for my card doesn't let me set the AGP4X options (I'm guessing because it thinks it's PCI? I have AGP4X enabled in my BIOS). PLEASE help me!!

G

UT is optimized for Glide first, D3D second, and since GeForces don't use glide... they have to use the shitty 'put-in-because-we-didnt-know-glide-would-die' D3D implementation.

G

Yeah, but according to Tom's, I should be getting MUCH higher frame rates. :(

G

Alright, well, forget UT. I just ran some 3DMark2000 tests on it and I got around 2300. Remember, now, I'm on a friggin' 1100MHz Thunderbird with 256MB PC133 SDRAM!

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah- the frame rates should be a lot higher.... my frame rates on a GF2 MX in unreal tournament at 1024x768 are about 60fps. Don't listen to that other dude that said Unreal Tournament is optimized for glide. There is something definitely wrong with your setup. download all the latest drivers for EVERYTHING... chipset, vid. card, etc.

-MP Jesse

mpjesse

Splendid
Woah- your not doing something right. My benchmarks on a GF2 MX with 3D Mark 2000 at 32bit color on a 700mhz system are 3465. That's with a 700mhz classic athlon, CAS3 100mhz RAM, and a GF2 MX overclocked to 200mhz. If your using a GF2 Ultra- you need serious help.

-MP Jesse

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's got to be something other than AGP 2X/4X. The difference between the two in 3DMark 2000 is negligible and your performance is way off. When I run my Duron and Geforce256 SDR stock at 600 Mhz I'm at 4200+ and when everything is overclocked to the max 5200+. You should be in the 6000's without even trying.

Are other benchmarks slow by more than 50% or just 3D graphics?

You're looking for something big. Look for conflicts in the system manager. Is anything sharing an IRQ with the GTS Ultra card (other than PCI steering). Do you have a PCI card in the slot adjacent to the AGP slot? If so, move it. Are both your L1 and L2 caches enabled? Do you have your memory clock set to 133 Mhz and not 100 Mhz? Make sure Anti-aliasing is turned off for both OpenGL and Direct3D. These are the only things that I can think of that will produce big hits in performance.

Other than that, do you have current drivers? I don't know if your card uses the NVidia reference drivers but if it do the last official drivers are still Detonator 3, version 6.31. Do load the new Via 4-in-1 drivers plus the AGP Bus driver update, as another poster mentioned. Make sure your DRAM timing is correct. The Turbo setting is for 7ns DRAMs or faster, I believe and the slowest setting is for 10ns (I'm not sure). If your memory is CAS2 make sure that setting is set. Also try enabling 4-way Interleave and Page Mode. You may also want to enable AGP fast-write support but be aware there is a bug in the original KT7/KT7-RAID BIOS. AGP fast-write support doesn't work if Enhanced Chip Performance is enabled.

That's about all I can think of. Here is a great source of information: http://go.to/kt7faq.

G

Alright, before I posted this, my card was sharing IRQ#'s with my NIC card. I thought that was the problem and put the extra USB adapters that came with my board there. Still nothing. The only IRQ conflicts I have right now are with my sound card (not enough IRQ #'s for the SB 16 emulation). I've updated all the drivers and software I can think of (except for UT because the updater doesn't like the BotPack.u file on the CD that came with my sound card). I'll try updating the AGP drivers or whatever.. See if that helps.

G

Alright, I just updated my system with the VIA 4in1 thing.. GOt around 7000 now. MUCH better. Still not 8000, but much better than 2000.

G

It IS optimized for glide.

However that wasn't your problem, and I'm glad it's (almost?) fixed.

G

Pretty much fixed. Like I said, it's not the 8000 that I see others having, but it's a hell of a lot closer. :)

G

maybe if you get a BX board youd get 9000 marks. what resolution are you running 3dmark? try 640x480x16. has yer fps in UT gone up as well?

G

Yup. But Ultima IX is running a bit slow. A bit choppy at times. At least it's IMPROVED, though. :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I'm glad something worked. I'm sure plenty of tweaking will now get you to level you feel you should be.

Phsstpok

"I don't think. I know!" or is it, "I don't think I know!"

G

I'll try that. But thanks everyone for the help. I've been going to Tom's Hardware for the past few months for all my hardware info and I knew y'all could help. :)