Search Companion doesn't work

laura

I have a user with the default settings for Search Companion. Last week, she
noticed that it all of a sudden stopped working. Whenever she types in
something to search and clicks on the Search button, IE sits there for a
minute, and then comes back with the following error message:

"Unable to connect
The Web site is currently unavailable or the connection to the Internet has
been lost. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."

The Search Companion doesn't work either if I run IE as the Administrator.
For now, I have her using the Classic search, but she would like to use the
Search Companion.

Any ideas? I have tried re-installing the Search Companion by running
install on srchasst.inf.

Hi

Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:

"Why doesn't Search work?"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a user with the default settings for Search Companion. Last week,
>she
> noticed that it all of a sudden stopped working. Whenever she types in
> something to search and clicks on the Search button, IE sits there for a
> minute, and then comes back with the following error message:
>
> "Unable to connect
> The Web site is currently unavailable or the connection to the Internet
> has
> been lost. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."
>
> The Search Companion doesn't work either if I run IE as the Administrator.
> For now, I have her using the Classic search, but she would like to use
> the
> Search Companion.
>
> Any ideas? I have tried re-installing the Search Companion by running
> install on srchasst.inf.

laura

Like I said, I already tried reinstalling it.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:
>
> "Why doesn't Search work?"
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a user with the default settings for Search Companion. Last week,
> >she
> > noticed that it all of a sudden stopped working. Whenever she types in
> > something to search and clicks on the Search button, IE sits there for a
> > minute, and then comes back with the following error message:
> >
> > "Unable to connect
> > The Web site is currently unavailable or the connection to the Internet
> > has
> > been lost. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."
> >
> > The Search Companion doesn't work either if I run IE as the Administrator.
> > For now, I have her using the Classic search, but she would like to use
> > the
> > Search Companion.
> >
> > Any ideas? I have tried re-installing the Search Companion by running
> > install on srchasst.inf.

This worked for one fellow...

[[Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all day
and I've finally figured it out.

I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and clicked
install.

This did it.

A couple notes.
I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and that did
not work as well.
I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
I tried coping the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known good
computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it either.

So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but it
worked.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A244D52F-D734-4AAF-8E4E-1B5353C12030@microsoft.com,
Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Like I said, I already tried reinstalling it.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:
>>
>> "Why doesn't Search work?"
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a user with the default settings for Search Companion. Last
>>> week, she
>>> noticed that it all of a sudden stopped working. Whenever she types in
>>> something to search and clicks on the Search button, IE sits there for a
>>> minute, and then comes back with the following error message:
>>>
>>> "Unable to connect
>>> The Web site is currently unavailable or the connection to the Internet
>>> has
>>> been lost. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."
>>>
>>> The Search Companion doesn't work either if I run IE as the
>>> Administrator. For now, I have her using the Classic search, but she
>>> would like to use the
>>> Search Companion.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? I have tried re-installing the Search Companion by running
>>> install on srchasst.inf.

laura

How do you unregister a .dll file? In addition, do you happen to know which
instance of srchui.dll to unregister (I found 2 instances of it)?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> This worked for one fellow...
>
> [[Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all day
> and I've finally figured it out.
>
> I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
> I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
> Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and clicked
> install.
>
> This did it.
>
> A couple notes.
> I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
> I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and that did
> not work as well.
> I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
> I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
> I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
> I tried coping the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known good
> computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it either.
>
> So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but it
> worked.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A244D52F-D734-4AAF-8E4E-1B5353C12030@microsoft.com,
> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Like I said, I already tried reinstalling it.
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Please see the following link to Kelly's web site:
> >>
> >> "Why doesn't Search work?"
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

laura

I figured out how to unregister it by running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll", but I
keep getting an error saying that the specified module could not be found.
Any ideas?

"Laura" wrote:

> How do you unregister a .dll file? In addition, do you happen to know which
> instance of srchui.dll to unregister (I found 2 instances of it)?
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > This worked for one fellow...
> >
> > [[Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all day
> > and I've finally figured it out.
> >
> > I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
> > I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
> > Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and clicked
> > install.
> >
> > This did it.
> >
> > A couple notes.
> > I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
> > I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and that did
> > not work as well.
> > I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
> > I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
> > I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
> > I tried coping the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known good
> > computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it either.
> >
> > So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but it
> > worked.]]
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:A244D52F-D734-4AAF-8E4E-1B5353C12030@microsoft.com,
> > Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Like I said, I already tried reinstalling it.

laura

I tried reinstalling the files from the CD (rather than from the I386 folder
on her PC), and it still doesn't work right.

"Laura" wrote:

> I figured out how to unregister it by running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll", but I
> keep getting an error saying that the specified module could not be found.
> Any ideas?
>
> "Laura" wrote:
>
> > How do you unregister a .dll file? In addition, do you happen to know which
> > instance of srchui.dll to unregister (I found 2 instances of it)?
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > This worked for one fellow...
> > >
> > > [[Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all day
> > > and I've finally figured it out.
> > >
> > > I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
> > > I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
> > > Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and clicked
> > > install.
> > >
> > > This did it.
> > >
> > > A couple notes.
> > > I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
> > > I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and that did
> > > not work as well.
> > > I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
> > > I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
> > > I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
> > > I tried coping the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known good
> > > computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it either.
> > >
> > > So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but it
> > > worked.]]
> > >
> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > >
> > > Wes
> > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > In news:A244D52F-D734-4AAF-8E4E-1B5353C12030@microsoft.com,
> > > Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Laura,

%systemroot% is a variable that shows the location of the Windows XP root
directory (for example: C:\WINDOWS). So if Windows is on the C: drive
%systemroot% = C:\WINDOWS. I have no idea what drive Windows is on on your
machine, so substitute %systemroot%, that way it doesn't matter.

There should be two srchui.dll files.

One srchui.dll in
%systemroot%\srchasst
or
C:\WINDOWS\srchasst
This is the srchui.dll that is used.

One srchui.dll in
%systemroot%\system32\dllcache
or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
This is the srchui.dll that is used by Windows File Protection and System
File Checker (Sfc.exe) to replace messed up system files.
-----

LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

You get this error because regsvr32.exe is looking in the
%systemroot%\system32 folder for srchui.dll, because it isn't there, you get
the error message.

You have to include the path to srchui.dll.

Paste this in the Start | Run box:

regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll

And click OK.

If you need to reregister it later.

regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5AE8E720-E22D-423C-ACD8-D5CF97B2F72C@microsoft.com,
Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I figured out how to unregister it by running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll",
> but I keep getting an error saying that the specified module could not be
> found. Any ideas?
>
> "Laura" wrote:
>
>> How do you unregister a .dll file? In addition, do you happen to know
>> which instance of srchui.dll to unregister (I found 2 instances of it)?
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> This worked for one fellow...
>>>
>>> [[Ok... I've been reading through the posts on the search companion all
>>> day and I've finally figured it out.
>>>
>>> I went in to "C:\Windows\srchasst\" and deleted everything I could
>>> I then unregistered the srchui.dll file
>>> Then I went into "C:\Windows\Inf\" right clicked srchasst.inf and
>>> clicked install.
>>>
>>> This did it.
>>>
>>> A couple notes.
>>> I tried just reregistering the srchui.dll file and that did not help
>>> I tried just installing srchasst.inf without deleting the files and
>>> that did not work as well.
>>> I tried to reregister shell32.dll, no luck
>>> I running SFC and ran a complete scan - didn't fix it.
>>> I ran the automated system recovery and this did not work as well...
>>> I tried coping the C:\Windows\srchasst\mui\0409\*.* files from a known
>>> good computer to the computer with the problem and this didn't fix it
>>> either.
>>>
>>> So, I don't know why everything had to be deleted and reinstalled, but
>>> it worked.]]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:A244D52F-D734-4AAF-8E4E-1B5353C12030@microsoft.com,
>>> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

laura

Well for the fellow's instructions, it said that he deleted all of the files,
and THEN unregistered it. So, I'll have to re-test this out all tomorrow
because I didn't even bother trying to unregister it.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Laura,
>
> %systemroot% is a variable that shows the location of the Windows XP root
> directory (for example: C:\WINDOWS). So if Windows is on the C: drive
> %systemroot% = C:\WINDOWS. I have no idea what drive Windows is on on your
> machine, so substitute %systemroot%, that way it doesn't matter.
>
> There should be two srchui.dll files.
>
> One srchui.dll in
> %systemroot%\srchasst
> or
> C:\WINDOWS\srchasst
> This is the srchui.dll that is used.
>
> One srchui.dll in
> %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
> or
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
> This is the srchui.dll that is used by Windows File Protection and System
> File Checker (Sfc.exe) to replace messed up system files.
> -----
>
> LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.
>
> You get this error because regsvr32.exe is looking in the
> %systemroot%\system32 folder for srchui.dll, because it isn't there, you get
> the error message.
>
> You have to include the path to srchui.dll.
>
> Paste this in the Start | Run box:
>
> regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>
> And click OK.
>
> If you need to reregister it later.
>
> regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:5AE8E720-E22D-423C-ACD8-D5CF97B2F72C@microsoft.com,
> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I figured out how to unregister it by running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll",
> > but I keep getting an error saying that the specified module could not be
> > found. Any ideas?
> >
> > "Laura" wrote:
> >
> >> How do you unregister a .dll file? In addition, do you happen to know
> >> which instance of srchui.dll to unregister (I found 2 instances of it)?

laura

It still doesn't work.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Laura,
>
> %systemroot% is a variable that shows the location of the Windows XP root
> directory (for example: C:\WINDOWS). So if Windows is on the C: drive
> %systemroot% = C:\WINDOWS. I have no idea what drive Windows is on on your
> machine, so substitute %systemroot%, that way it doesn't matter.
>
> There should be two srchui.dll files.
>
> One srchui.dll in
> %systemroot%\srchasst
> or
> C:\WINDOWS\srchasst
> This is the srchui.dll that is used.
>
> One srchui.dll in
> %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
> or
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
> This is the srchui.dll that is used by Windows File Protection and System
> File Checker (Sfc.exe) to replace messed up system files.
> -----
>
> LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.
>
> You get this error because regsvr32.exe is looking in the
> %systemroot%\system32 folder for srchui.dll, because it isn't there, you get
> the error message.
>
> You have to include the path to srchui.dll.
>
> Paste this in the Start | Run box:
>
> regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>
> And click OK.
>
> If you need to reregister it later.
>
> regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:5AE8E720-E22D-423C-ACD8-D5CF97B2F72C@microsoft.com,
> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I figured out how to unregister it by running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll",
> > but I keep getting an error saying that the specified module could not be
> > found. Any ideas?
> >
> > "Laura" wrote:
> >
> >> How do you unregister a .dll file? In addition, do you happen to know
> >> which instance of srchui.dll to unregister (I found 2 instances of it)?

I am sorry to hear that, Laura.

Maybe this will help...

Reset IE Search engine to defaults
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#ResetSearch

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3823E70F-8F9B-43A3-9E1E-BF66534115C1@microsoft.com,
Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> It still doesn't work.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Laura,
>>
>> %systemroot% is a variable that shows the location of the Windows XP root
>> directory (for example: C:\WINDOWS). So if Windows is on the C: drive
>> %systemroot% = C:\WINDOWS. I have no idea what drive Windows is on on
>> your machine, so substitute %systemroot%, that way it doesn't matter.
>>
>> There should be two srchui.dll files.
>>
>> One srchui.dll in
>> %systemroot%\srchasst
>> or
>> C:\WINDOWS\srchasst
>> This is the srchui.dll that is used.
>>
>> One srchui.dll in
>> %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
>> or
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>> This is the srchui.dll that is used by Windows File Protection and System
>> File Checker (Sfc.exe) to replace messed up system files.
>> -----
>>
>> LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed - The specified module could not be
>> found.
>>
>> You get this error because regsvr32.exe is looking in the
>> %systemroot%\system32 folder for srchui.dll, because it isn't there, you
>> get the error message.
>>
>> You have to include the path to srchui.dll.
>>
>> Paste this in the Start | Run box:
>>
>> regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>>
>> And click OK.
>>
>> If you need to reregister it later.
>>
>> regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:5AE8E720-E22D-423C-ACD8-D5CF97B2F72C@microsoft.com,
>> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I figured out how to unregister it by running "regsvr32 /u srchui.dll",
>>> but I keep getting an error saying that the specified module could not
>>> be found. Any ideas?

laura

Nothing is wrong with her homepage.

I think that it has something to do with how her PC tries to access
http://sa.windows.com...

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> I am sorry to hear that, Laura.
>
> Maybe this will help...
>
> Reset IE Search engine to defaults
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#ResetSearch
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3823E70F-8F9B-43A3-9E1E-BF66534115C1@microsoft.com,
> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > It still doesn't work.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Laura,
> >>
> >> %systemroot% is a variable that shows the location of the Windows XP root
> >> directory (for example: C:\WINDOWS). So if Windows is on the C: drive
> >> %systemroot% = C:\WINDOWS. I have no idea what drive Windows is on on
> >> your machine, so substitute %systemroot%, that way it doesn't matter.
> >>
> >> There should be two srchui.dll files.
> >>
> >> One srchui.dll in
> >> %systemroot%\srchasst
> >> or
> >> C:\WINDOWS\srchasst
> >> This is the srchui.dll that is used.
> >>
> >> One srchui.dll in
> >> %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
> >> or
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
> >> This is the srchui.dll that is used by Windows File Protection and System
> >> File Checker (Sfc.exe) to replace messed up system files.
> >> -----
> >>
> >> LoadLibrary("srchui.dll") failed - The specified module could not be
> >> found.
> >>
> >> You get this error because regsvr32.exe is looking in the
> >> %systemroot%\system32 folder for srchui.dll, because it isn't there, you
> >> get the error message.
> >>
> >> You have to include the path to srchui.dll.
> >>
> >> Paste this in the Start | Run box:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
> >>
> >> And click OK.
> >>
> >> If you need to reregister it later.
> >>
> >> regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:5AE8E720-E22D-423C-ACD8-D5CF97B2F72C@microsoft.com,
> >> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

The link pointed to the item *ABOVE* Home Page Setting Changes Unexpectedly

[[Reset IE Search engine to defaults
Sudden change in the Search engine settings in Internet Explorer indicates
your browser is hijacked. Before attempting to repair the Search to
defaults, first scan the system for parasites and remove them. Then, reset
the search settings using the fix available here: RestoreSearch2.REG]]
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#ResetSearch

[[The problem stems from Search Assistant being unable to connect to
http://sa.windows.com. This can be caused by proxy servers, firewalls and
some "ad blocking" software.]]

Unwanted Windows XP connections to sa.windows.com
http://www.neuro-tech.net/archives/000345.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FF5966AB-41D9-4083-8CBE-D56434D39CC4@microsoft.com,
Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Nothing is wrong with her homepage.
>
> I think that it has something to do with how her PC tries to access
> http://sa.windows.com...
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to hear that, Laura.
>>
>> Maybe this will help...
>>
>> Reset IE Search engine to defaults
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#ResetSearch
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:3823E70F-8F9B-43A3-9E1E-BF66534115C1@microsoft.com,
>> Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> It still doesn't work.

laura

Nevermind, I got it working now. It turns out the user had the Bagle virus.

Thank you for all of your help, Wesley.

Golly! There's always something.

Glad you got it working.

--