problem connecting to just one website

Hi -

For the past three days I've been unable to connect to the www.hallmark.com
website. I also can't reach it through google's cache. I've tried pinging
the IP address, and I get a 'net unaccessible' error message.

The problem doesn't seem to be with my browser (I've tried to access via IE
and Firefox).

If anyone has any suggestions for what I should do to solve this problem,
please respond. I can reach the site via my laptop, so the problem would
seem to be some setting on this computer. But I can't begin to imagine what
the setting is that might have been changed in the last three days and that
would just affect access to this one site.

Thanks.

Okay -- I've actually solved the problem, but now I'm curious as to why this
solved it.

My desktop setup is a laptop, and I have everything plugged through a
docking station. I just shifted my modem cable from the dock to the actual
machine -- voila, problem solved. I thought of doing this before, but it
seemed to me that if the relay was the problem more than one website would be
affected. Maybe the hallmark site has a special thing that prevents this
kind of relaying, because the site is very popup/plugin intense.

Ideas?

"Ruth" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> For the past three days I've been unable to connect to the www.hallmark.com
> website. I also can't reach it through google's cache. I've tried pinging
> the IP address, and I get a 'net unaccessible' error message.
>
> The problem doesn't seem to be with my browser (I've tried to access via IE
> and Firefox).
>
> If anyone has any suggestions for what I should do to solve this problem,
> please respond. I can reach the site via my laptop, so the problem would
> seem to be some setting on this computer. But I can't begin to imagine what
> the setting is that might have been changed in the last three days and that
> would just affect access to this one site.
>
> Thanks.

Are you using your Hosts file to control your browsing, or have you
installed filtering software which uses the Hosts file?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Ruth" <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> For the past three days I've been unable to connect to the
www.hallmark.com
> website. I also can't reach it through google's cache. I've tried
pinging
> the IP address, and I get a 'net unaccessible' error message.
>
> The problem doesn't seem to be with my browser (I've tried to access via
IE
> and Firefox).
>
> If anyone has any suggestions for what I should do to solve this problem,
> please respond. I can reach the site via my laptop, so the problem would
> seem to be some setting on this computer. But I can't begin to imagine
what
> the setting is that might have been changed in the last three days and
that
> would just affect access to this one site.
>
> Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of (and I assume that I'd be aware of this) -- but I've
already checked the Hosts file, and the only IP address is my desktop.