ForceCalibur

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
What a craptastic review. There are a million better performing and less expensive notebooks. Perhaps if the reviewer compared the notebooks instead of to a DESKTOP, to another comparable DTR from Hypersonic, Dell, Alienware, Cyberpower etc.

I'm seriously wondering how much ABS payed Tom's Hardware to write this.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I have to agree, I was forced to ask myself whether or not the reviewer had ever even USED another notebook - I was not impressed at all with the notebook, nor with the review. Sometimes, I really get the impression that THG is going downhill.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

Alapan

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
While the information on the Mayhem notebook itself was worth reading, the comparisons did not make sense. At least a comparison to a similar spec desktop and a similar spec laptop from Alienware/Vodoo would have made more sense. In the Linux compatability nothing was mentioned on the graphics card drivers - default drivers that come with Fedora do not give as good a performance as needed for Linux gaming (eg. Unreal 2K4). Surely such a test should have been done before passing this laptop as linux friendly.

That said, I am searching for a gaming laptop to replace my 4 year old desktop machine. I would like to see more reviews of laptops in this category esp. a review of Acer's new Aspire 1710 - which although much uglier than Alienware and co. has some very good specs; and I would like to see how well gaming laptops stack up to each other.