Verizon DSL & MAC Addresses

RaheimR77

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2002
I recently built a new computer. My old computer was a Dell Dimension with a Intel 10/100Mbps NIC built in. Both machines ran Windows XP. After trying to first connect with my new PC, I would try to connect using Verizon DSL, but after I connect, there would be no traffic at all after about a few KB of data or so. I could still connect with the old PC, but not the new one.

Turns out that for some strange reason that the routers that Verizon uses remembers the MAC address of a NIC and if you try to connect online, with the same user name and password, and with a different network card, there is a good chance that could get blocked out.

Not to even mention, the MaxMTU problem that XP has with connecting to Verizon DSL.

Just a note..

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You'll probably have to call and bitch and tell them to reset your config file on thier server.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
all you have to do is repower your DSL modem and you'll be able to log on with a different machine. I've done it many times with Verizon.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Or duh, i do that with my cable all the time hehe. You should even have a different IP when you do that.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>