Measuring AC ripple

Last response: in Video Games
September 29, 2005 10:51:00 AM

Ok, I put the test leads on GND and +5 on my Millipede board and set
DMM to AC. It reads 10.4 ...uhhhhh ..ok. I changed Big Blue and even
swapped in another working ARII, still get 10.4. I would assume my DMM
isnt cool, right? Also, when I go to test transistors, instead of
getting the .4 to .6 reading to see if its good or not, I get some
weird reading like 845. Can anyone recommend a DMM that works proper,
but isnt expensive?
Im getting freezups in my Millipede, and screen garbage btw.

drew@bunkercade

More about : measuring ripple

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:41:04 PM

If that's the case then I doubt you can read the AC ripple unless you
can bias the DMM's input to 0V. Some higher-end DMMs let you do that,
but for a run-of-the-mill DMM you're prolly outa luck. You really need
an o-scope to see it well.

- Craig
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:23:50 PM

Craig Yarbrough wrote:
> If that's the case then I doubt you can read the AC ripple unless you
> can bias the DMM's input to 0V. Some higher-end DMMs let you do that,
> but for a run-of-the-mill DMM you're prolly outa luck. You really need
> an o-scope to see it well.
>
> - Craig

If you put your meter across big blue and set it for AC volts you will
read the ripple voltage. IMHO ripple voltage should be less than 200mV.
100mV is a decent target number.

Kirb
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:01:28 PM

Kirb is correct. Slice of crow pie for me. However unless your meter
allows you select P-P specifically, you will only read the RMS voltage
which will be less than the actual peak-to-peak ripple. O-scopes will
let you see more.

- Craig
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:19:36 PM

Hey thank you all, Yes i was trying to measure AC ripple leakage.
!