Can't scroll options in Safe Mode!

Brother in law tried to install updated video driver supplied by box
shifter. Now it seems, he can't get into XPHome. He can only get to the
'black' screen after pressing F8, and he is unable to move between
options, i.e., he can't get to Safe Mode, Last known good configuration
etc. to allow him to remove the video driver.
I couldn't think of any advice I could give him over the phone as I've
not seen this before. Does anyone have any ideas please?
--
gillie

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:55:13 +0100, Mike Gasson wrote:

> Brother in law tried to install updated video driver supplied by box
> shifter. Now it seems, he can't get into XPHome. He can only get to the
> 'black' screen after pressing F8, and he is unable to move between
> options, i.e., he can't get to Safe Mode, Last known good configuration
> etc. to allow him to remove the video driver.
> I couldn't think of any advice I could give him over the phone as I've
> not seen this before. Does anyone have any ideas please?

The arrow keys don't move him up and down the menu? (Regular arrow keys,
not the ones on the number pad). Pressing the number of the start option
should work too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In message <uIgdlC0gFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Sharon F
<sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> writes
>On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:55:13 +0100, Mike Gasson wrote:
>
>> Brother in law tried to install updated video driver supplied by box
>> shifter. Now it seems, he can't get into XPHome. He can only get to the
>> 'black' screen after pressing F8, and he is unable to move between
>> options, i.e., he can't get to Safe Mode, Last known good configuration
>> etc. to allow him to remove the video driver.
>> I couldn't think of any advice I could give him over the phone as I've
>> not seen this before. Does anyone have any ideas please?
>
>The arrow keys don't move him up and down the menu? (Regular arrow keys,
>not the ones on the number pad). Pressing the number of the start option
>should work too.

Yes, the arrow keys don't move the cursor at all, I don't know if he
tried the start number option. I would be pretty sure he had done.
If that is the case, is there any way he can get out of this?
Thanks
--
gillie

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:22:52 +0100, Mike Gasson wrote:

> Yes, the arrow keys don't move the cursor at all, I don't know if he
> tried the start number option. I would be pretty sure he had done.
> If that is the case, is there any way he can get out of this?
> Thanks

If using a USB or wireless keyboard, he could try using a PS/2 connecting
keyboard. I keep one on hand for those times that USB/wireless aren't
responding as they should.

In general, when a keyboard does not perform an expected function, try to
determine if the problem is keyboard or keyboard controller. Trying a
keyboard known to be good on problem machine. Also try troublesome keyboard
on another system.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In message <OSrQo38gFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Sharon F
<sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> writes
>On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:22:52 +0100, Mike Gasson wrote:
>
>> Yes, the arrow keys don't move the cursor at all, I don't know if he
>> tried the start number option. I would be pretty sure he had done.
>> If that is the case, is there any way he can get out of this?
>> Thanks
>
>If using a USB or wireless keyboard, he could try using a PS/2 connecting
>keyboard. I keep one on hand for those times that USB/wireless aren't
>responding as they should.
>
>In general, when a keyboard does not perform an expected function, try to
>determine if the problem is keyboard or keyboard controller. Trying a
>keyboard known to be good on problem machine. Also try troublesome keyboard
>on another system.

I can't give you an update just yet as he has taken the PC back for
repair. I will post here with result!
Thanks Sharon.
--
gillie

In message <UrmGsNAWkB0CFwD2@purbeck.demon.co.uk>, Mike Gasson
<mtg@purbeck.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <OSrQo38gFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Sharon F
><sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> writes
>>On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:22:52 +0100, Mike Gasson wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the arrow keys don't move the cursor at all, I don't know if he
>>> tried the start number option. I would be pretty sure he had done.
>>> If that is the case, is there any way he can get out of this?
>>> Thanks
>>
>>If using a USB or wireless keyboard, he could try using a PS/2 connecting
>>keyboard. I keep one on hand for those times that USB/wireless aren't
>>responding as they should.
>>
>>In general, when a keyboard does not perform an expected function, try to
>>determine if the problem is keyboard or keyboard controller. Trying a
>>keyboard known to be good on problem machine. Also try troublesome keyboard
>>on another system.
>>
>I can't give you an update just yet as he has taken the PC back for
>repair. I will post here with result!
>Thanks Sharon.
Well, they have replaced the video card which doesn't explain the fault
I'm querying! Ah well, thanks for your help, sorry I can't give you the
reason for the failure to scroll.
--
gillie