Can't run Device Manager or most Admin Tools, esp. Compute..

I copied a working XP system disk to a new disk. I've done this 3 times using
differnt tools (Western Digital, Maxtor, Copy Commander), and the new disk
boots fine, but I can't run Computer Management or Device Manager.

The new disk is SATA 2, the old was SATA 1. It's a Gigabyte K8NUltra SLI mobo.

I managed to fix a drive letter problem using the registry.

Prior to making the copy, Windows Update had stopped working, it would hang
up during the process.

Also tried going back to a prior restore point, no different.

Should I try to repair Windows by booting off the CD?
2 answers Last reply
More about device manager admin tools compute

    Yes
    peterk

    the problem
    "Petz" <jpetzing@earthlink.(PUTnetHERE)> wrote in message
    >I copied a working XP system disk to a new disk. I've done this 3 times
    >using
    > differnt tools (Western Digital, Maxtor, Copy Commander), and the new disk
    > boots fine, but I can't run Computer Management or Device Manager.
    >
    > The new disk is SATA 2, the old was SATA 1. It's a Gigabyte K8NUltra SLI
    > mobo.
    >
    > I managed to fix a drive letter problem using the registry.
    >
    > Prior to making the copy, Windows Update had stopped working, it would
    > hang
    > up during the process.
    >
    > Also tried going back to a prior restore point, no different.
    >
    > Should I try to repair Windows by booting off the CD?

    Well, in-place reinstallation didn't help a bit. Also, I tried to use
    Add/Remove Programs, and that doesn't work either. Should I try a bunch of
    "regsrv32" commands? Can you suggest some?

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Yes
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "Petz" <jpetzing@earthlink.(PUTnetHERE)> wrote in message
    > >I copied a working XP system disk to a new disk. I've done this 3 times
    > >using
    > > differnt tools (Western Digital, Maxtor, Copy Commander), and the new disk
    > > boots fine, but I can't run Computer Management or Device Manager.
    > >
    > > The new disk is SATA 2, the old was SATA 1. It's a Gigabyte K8NUltra SLI
    > > mobo.
    > >
    > > I managed to fix a drive letter problem using the registry.
    > >
    > > Prior to making the copy, Windows Update had stopped working, it would
    > > hang
    > > up during the process.
    > >
    > > Also tried going back to a prior restore point, no different.
    > >
    > > Should I try to repair Windows by booting off the CD?

Device Manager Windows XP