Can't run Device Manager or most Admin Tools, esp. Compute..

Tags:
  • Device Manager
  • Windows XP
July 7, 2005 4:32:30 PM

I copied a working XP system disk to a new disk. I've done this 3 times using
differnt tools (Western Digital, Maxtor, Copy Commander), and the new disk
boots fine, but I can't run Computer Management or Device Manager.

The new disk is SATA 2, the old was SATA 1. It's a Gigabyte K8NUltra SLI mobo.

I managed to fix a drive letter problem using the registry.

Prior to making the copy, Windows Update had stopped working, it would hang
up during the process.

Also tried going back to a prior restore point, no different.

Should I try to repair Windows by booting off the CD?

More about : run device manager admin tools esp compute

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:14:28 PM

Yes
peterk

the problem
"Petz" <jpetzing@earthlink.(PUTnetHERE)> wrote in message
>I copied a working XP system disk to a new disk. I've done this 3 times
>using
> differnt tools (Western Digital, Maxtor, Copy Commander), and the new disk
> boots fine, but I can't run Computer Management or Device Manager.
>
> The new disk is SATA 2, the old was SATA 1. It's a Gigabyte K8NUltra SLI
> mobo.
>
> I managed to fix a drive letter problem using the registry.
>
> Prior to making the copy, Windows Update had stopped working, it would
> hang
> up during the process.
>
> Also tried going back to a prior restore point, no different.
>
> Should I try to repair Windows by booting off the CD?
July 8, 2005 2:24:02 PM

Well, in-place reinstallation didn't help a bit. Also, I tried to use
Add/Remove Programs, and that doesn't work either. Should I try a bunch of
"regsrv32" commands? Can you suggest some?

!