Notebook screens: 15" vs. 15.4"

I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about the
overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I kept
discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space whenever I
viewed a document.

Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/ preference to
one or the other?

The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional java
development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting, etc.

--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about the
    > overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I kept
    > discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space whenever I
    > viewed a document.
    >
    > Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/ preference to
    > one or the other?
    >
    > The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional java
    > development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting, etc.

    Just got the Inspiron 6000. I love it. While I prefer the large dual
    monitor setup on my desktop, I find the extra space on the side of the
    screen great for palettes from Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.

    Bob

    Bob Levine coughed up:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried
    >> about the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension
    >> because I kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more
    >> vertical space whenever I viewed a document.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/
    >> preference to one or the other?
    >>
    >> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including
    >> occasional java development, at home work, word processing, email,
    >> usenet posting, etc.
    >
    > Just got the Inspiron 6000. I love it. While I prefer the large dual
    > monitor setup on my desktop, I find the extra space on the side of the
    > screen great for palettes from Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
    >
    > Bob

    Hmmmm... A 17" diag? Do you find the notebook unweildly? Does the large
    screen drag down the battery unnecessarily fast? Is the screen less bright
    as a result?

    Thanks

    --
    I've seen this a few times--Don't make this mistake:

    Dwight: "This thing is wildly available."
    Smedly: "Did you mean wildly, or /widely/ ?"
    Dwight: "Both!", said while nodding emphatically.

    Dwight was exposed to have made a grammatical
    error and tries to cover it up by thinking
    fast. This is so painfully obvious that he
    only succeeds in looking worse.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

[...]

  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
    > the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
    > kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
    > whenever I viewed a document.
    >
    > Does anyone have any time with both and is there any common
    > preference to one or the other?
    >
    > The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional
    > java development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting,
    > etc.

    I find myself docking my taskbar to the left of the screen in order to
    reclaim lost vertical space on my 15.4" widescreen because I got the
    cheapo 1280x800 screen. If you work w/emacs or something though for
    java, then you can actually leave your start menu/task bar on the bottom
    and maybe have 2 windows open side by side if you get a laptop w/a
    higher resolution like the 1920x1200 Ultrasharp option on my Inspiron 6000.

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > Hmmmm... A 17" diag? Do you find the notebook unweildly? Does the large
    > screen drag down the battery unnecessarily fast? Is the screen less bright
    > as a result?

    The 6000 is 15.4". I've only had a couple of weeks so I can't address
    the battery issue, but the screen is plenty bright. It might take some
    people a bit of getting used to since I have resolution set to
    1920x1200. Makes the fonts kinda small.

    Bob

    Bob Levine coughed up:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >

    >> Hmmmm... A 17" diag? Do you find the notebook unweildly? Does the
    >> large screen drag down the battery unnecessarily fast? Is the
    >> screen less bright as a result?
    >
    > The 6000 is 15.4". I've only had a couple of weeks so I can't address
    > the battery issue, but the screen is plenty bright. It might take some
    > people a bit of getting used to since I have resolution set to
    > 1920x1200. Makes the fonts kinda small.
    >
    > Bob

    Well, with an lcd (driven digitally I hope?) you should always set your
    resolution to the screens /native/ resolution. My 19" sony is DVI driven
    and when everything is set to 1280x1024 a pixel is truly on or off with
    nothing in between.

    Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a standard aspect
    ratio screen?

    --
    http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
    /anything/.

    Michael Lee coughed up:
    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
    >> the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
    >> kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
    >> whenever I viewed a document.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any common
    >> preference to one or the other?
    >>
    >> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including
    >> occasional java development, at home work, word processing, email,
    >> usenet posting, etc.
    >
    > I find myself docking my taskbar to the left of the screen in order to
    > reclaim lost vertical space on my 15.4" widescreen because I got the
    > cheapo 1280x800 screen.

    I always have my task bar on the left or right anyway. The only way to fly,
    so long as it isn't "always on top".

    > If you work w/emacs or something though for
    > java, then you can actually leave your start menu/task bar on the
    > bottom and maybe have 2 windows open side by sid

    That's what I'm really trying to evaluate here: Just how much am I going to
    miss the lost height, vs. how much I'm going to love the "increase" in
    width.

    --

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a standard aspect
    > ratio screen?

    Not one bit.

    Bob
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > That's what I'm really trying to evaluate here: Just how much am I going to
    > miss the lost height, vs. how much I'm going to love the "increase" in
    > width.

    Half full/half empty.

    Bob
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    wrote in news:xAcbe.4862$RD.4734@trndny02:

    > I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
    > the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
    > kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
    > whenever I viewed a document.

    i have a 19" monitor (1280x1024) for my desktop, and a 15.4" (1280x800)
    laptop, and I do NOT have a problem switching between computers.... these
    days its hard to completely eliminate vertical scrollbars - are you really
    gaining an advantage by scrolling down 7 lines instead of 13?

    also, the wide screen gives easy access to several windows open at the same
    time - i size them to about 1024px across, and it's easy to navigate around
    them on screen. when using excel files or other horizontally-based
    formats, 15.4 is obviously great (same for watching DVDs on the road). Not
    to mention programs with palettes, where the extra horizontal space is very
    helpful to dock the palettes AWAY from what I am working on (keeping the
    palettes off the image i'm working on in photoshop, for example). if you
    do coding (java development, etc), its also nice having the wide screen
    because you can look at/compare/copy between files easily.

    finally, carrying a 15.4" notebook under the arm is more
    natural/comfortable/secure than smaller-screened ones.

    to each their own; i love my widescreen notebook, i've had it over a year,
    and have NO regrets.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Good Man coughed up:
    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
    >> the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
    >> kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
    >> whenever I viewed a document.
    >
    > i have a 19" monitor (1280x1024) for my desktop, and a 15.4"
    > (1280x800) laptop, and I do NOT have a problem switching between
    > computers.... these days its hard to completely eliminate vertical
    > scrollbars - are you really gaining an advantage by scrolling down 7
    > lines instead of 13?
    >
    > also, the wide screen gives easy access to several windows open at
    > the same time - i size them to about 1024px across, and it's easy to
    > navigate around them on screen. when using excel files or other
    > horizontally-based formats, 15.4 is obviously great (same for
    > watching DVDs on the road). Not to mention programs with palettes,
    > where the extra horizontal space is very helpful to dock the palettes
    > AWAY from what I am working on (keeping the palettes off the image
    > i'm working on in photoshop, for example). if you do coding (java
    > development, etc), its also nice having the wide screen because you
    > can look at/compare/copy between files easily.
    >
    > finally, carrying a 15.4" notebook under the arm is more
    > natural/comfortable/secure than smaller-screened ones.
    >
    > to each their own; i love my widescreen notebook, i've had it over a
    > year, and have NO regrets.

    THANK you. This is very useful!

    --
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

    I have the 15.4 now used to have 15
    I don't really notice any height difference but the width is nice
    With the 6000 I have the 128Mb video card which can drive a second monitor.
    So if you are using it at home just use you 19" monitor with the laptop.

    actual height is

    9" vs. 8.25 for 15 vs. 15.4

    width is 12 vs. 13

    so the 15" monitor measure

    9x 12"

    and the 15.4 is 8.25 x 13

    Wayne

    wrote in message news:x48be.4503$WX.376@trndny01...

    > I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about the
    > overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I kept
    > discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space whenever I
    > viewed a document.
    >
    > Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/ preference
    > to one or the other?
    >
    > The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional
    > java development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting,
    > etc.
    >

    > --
    > Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs
    > need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses
    > before being bred. If you are breeding dogs without taking care as to the
    > genetic quality of the dog (again, being purebred is *not* enough), you
    > are what is known as a "backyard breeder" and are part of the problem.
    > Most of the congenital problems of present day dogs are traceable directly
    > to backyard breeding. Spay or neuter your pet responsibly, and don't just
    > think that you're somehow the exception and can breed a dog without taking
    > the care described.

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:57:47 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a standard aspect
    >ratio screen?

    This confuses me a bit. I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800. Most of
    the other ultra portables in this class which are normal aspect ratio
    have a native resolution of 1024x768. So although it gives the
    illusion of shorter, unless youre looking at 1280x1024 native
    resolution laptops, you actually have more vertical space (and you
    need less, because document text can span farther to the right before
    you need to scroll down). The prior statement in parentheses is the
    reason nobody will feel cramped with a vertical resolution that is 800
    versus 1024. Personally I will probably never buy another normal
    aspect laptop again.

    > I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800.

    How you liking that 700m?

    Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
    day work?

    Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
    Dell 6000

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > > I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800.
    >
    > How you liking that 700m?
    >
    > Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
    > day work?
    >
    > Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
    > Dell 6000

    I'm trying to figure you out.

    Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
    for yourself.

    Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
    "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.

    People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
    for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
    to work with.

    You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
    thread) you'll like best.

    Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
    gonna have to make a decision on your own.

    Maybe now's the time to start.

    Notan

    D as in Dilapidated coughed up:
    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:57:47 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a
    >> standard aspect ratio screen?
    >
    > This confuses me a bit. I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800. Most of
    > the other ultra portables in this class which are normal aspect ratio
    > have a native resolution of 1024x768. So although it gives the
    > illusion of shorter, unless youre looking at 1280x1024 native
    > resolution laptops, you actually have more vertical space

    /No/ you don't. The number of pixels is just a measurement of clarity.
    It's the vertical spacing that makes the difference. There is only so small
    a font that someone is willing to put up with. Scrollbars no thinner than a
    certain visual size. Adding pixels just makes this all clearer.

    --
    "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
    Two weeks from everywhere!"

    Notan coughed up:
    > me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800.
    >>
    >> How you liking that 700m?
    >>
    >> Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
    >> day work?
    >>
    >> Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
    >> Dell 6000
    >
    > I'm trying to figure you out.
    >
    > Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
    > for yourself.
    >
    > Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
    > "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
    >
    > People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
    > for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
    > to work with.
    >
    > You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
    > thread) you'll like best.
    >
    > Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
    > gonna have to make a decision on your own.

    And if he doesn't?

    What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they like
    and why?

    There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of notebook
    options than to ask for the empirical info.

    --

    "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

    > Notan coughed up:

    > >> How you liking that 700m?
    > >>
    > >> Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
    > >> day work?
    > >>
    > >> Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
    > >> Dell 6000
    > >
    > > I'm trying to figure you out.
    > >
    > > Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
    > > for yourself.
    > >
    > > Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
    > > "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
    > >
    > > People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
    > > for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
    > > to work with.
    > >
    > > You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
    > > thread) you'll like best.
    > >
    > > Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
    > > gonna have to make a decision on your own.
    >
    > And if he doesn't?
    >
    > What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they like
    > and why?
    >
    > There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of notebook
    > options than to ask for the empirical info.

    I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different options?"
    types of questions...

    The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along the
    lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."

    THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for themselves.

    To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.

    Notan

    Notan coughed up:
    > "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
    >>
    >> Notan coughed up:

    >>> I'm trying to figure you out.
    >>>
    >>> Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
    >>> for yourself.
    >>>
    >>> Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
    >>> "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
    >>>
    >>> People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
    >>> for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
    >>> to work with.
    >>>
    >>> You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
    >>> thread) you'll like best.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
    >>> gonna have to make a decision on your own.
    >>
    >> And if he doesn't?
    >>
    >> What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what
    >> they like and why?
    >>
    >> There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of
    >> notebook options than to ask for the empirical info.
    >
    > I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different
    > options?" types of questions...
    >
    > The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along
    > the
    > lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."
    >
    > THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for
    > themselves.
    >
    > To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.

    "Strictly", maybe, but you have no idea what other information he is taking
    into account.

    Besides, you're oversimplifying it Notan.

    For example, I'm very much interested in what people personally liked about
    the 15.4. I /want/ the subjective information. I can read the spec sheets,
    but they don't tell me if there is a particular hassle that isn't listed.

    For example, if someone posted back words to the effect of:

    I discovered that the 15.4 just doesn't have the
    vertical height I need for writing programs. I often
    end up scrolling up and down far more than I used
    to on my old 15" screen.

    This tells me something. Subjective, sure, but if I start to see more
    people with the same complaint, then it starts to become increasingly
    objective.

    --

    "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

    > Notan coughed up:
    > > "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Notan coughed up:

    > >> And if he doesn't?
    > >>
    > >> What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what
    > >> they like and why?
    > >>
    > >> There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of
    > >> notebook options than to ask for the empirical info.
    > >
    > > I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different
    > > options?" types of questions...
    > >
    > > The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along
    > > the
    > > lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."
    > >
    > > THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for
    > > themselves.
    > >
    > > To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.
    >
    > "Strictly", maybe, but you have no idea what other information he is taking
    > into account.
    >
    > Besides, you're oversimplifying it Notan.
    >
    > For example, I'm very much interested in what people personally liked about
    > the 15.4. I /want/ the subjective information. I can read the spec sheets,
    > but they don't tell me if there is a particular hassle that isn't listed.
    >
    > For example, if someone posted back words to the effect of:
    >
    > I discovered that the 15.4 just doesn't have the
    > vertical height I need for writing programs. I often
    > end up scrolling up and down far more than I used
    > to on my old 15" screen.
    >
    > This tells me something. Subjective, sure, but if I start to see more
    > people with the same complaint, then it starts to become increasingly
    > objective.

    I'm not basing my criticism strictly on this one thread or newsgroup.
    Head over to alt.comp.software.financial.quicken... One of his questions
    was "What should I name this category?" Not "How do you create a
    category?" or "Are category names relevant to anything else?", etc.

    The guy's not asking for direction, he's asking for someone to do
    it for him.

    Notan

    >What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they like
    >and why?

    Exactly

    what's the big deal?

    If Notan doesn't want to answer or read the thread...
    than move on dude

    >Besides, you're oversimplifying it Notan.
    >
    >For example, I'm very much interested in what people personally liked about
    >the 15.4. I /want/ the subjective information. I can read the spec sheets,
    >but they don't tell me if there is a particular hassle that isn't listed.

    Precisely!

    I want subjective answers. I live in a small town with
    no laptop sellers. I cant just go to a store and look
    and feel the units.

    And even the lowest cost laptops are not at a price to
    sneeze at.

    Sorry if I've offended anyone... but I DO want
    subjective answers on what display size YOU like and
    why.

    Facts and figures sometimes do NOT tell the whole story

    >I'm not basing my criticism strictly on this one thread or newsgroup.
    >Head over to alt.comp.software.financial.quicken... One of his questions
    >was "What should I name this category?" Not "How do you create a
    >category?" or "Are category names relevant to anything else?", etc.

    yes I posted that question

    So what?

    Is it a crime to listen to how others have their
    categories setup? To see what categories they use?

    Notan he asked you a simple question: "How do YOU like the screen"?
    Why do you have to be such a prick about it?

    > "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
    > >
    > > Notan coughed up:

    > > > I'm trying to figure you out.
    > > >
    > > > Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
    > > > for yourself.
    > > >
    > > > Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
    > > > "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
    > > >
    > > > People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
    > > > for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
    > > > to work with.
    > > >
    > > > You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
    > > > thread) you'll like best.
    > > >
    > > > Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
    > > > gonna have to make a decision on your own.
    > >
    > > And if he doesn't?
    > >
    > > What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they
    like
    > > and why?
    > >
    > > There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of notebook
    > > options than to ask for the empirical info.
    >
    > I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different
    options?"
    > types of questions...
    >
    > The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along the
    > lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."
    >
    > THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for
    themselves.

    > To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.
    >
    > Notan

Dell Notebooks Computers