Notebook screens: 15" vs. 15.4"

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 25, 2005 7:32:45 PM

I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about the
overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I kept
discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space whenever I
viewed a document.

Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/ preference to
one or the other?

The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional java
development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting, etc.

--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

More about : notebook screens

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:32:41 PM

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about the
> overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I kept
> discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space whenever I
> viewed a document.
>
> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/ preference to
> one or the other?
>
> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional java
> development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting, etc.

Just got the Inspiron 6000. I love it. While I prefer the large dual
monitor setup on my desktop, I find the extra space on the side of the
screen great for palettes from Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.

Bob
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:10:25 PM

Bob Levine coughed up:
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>
>> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried
>> about the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension
>> because I kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more
>> vertical space whenever I viewed a document.
>>
>> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/
>> preference to one or the other?
>>
>> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including
>> occasional java development, at home work, word processing, email,
>> usenet posting, etc.
>
> Just got the Inspiron 6000. I love it. While I prefer the large dual
> monitor setup on my desktop, I find the extra space on the side of the
> screen great for palettes from Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
>
> Bob

Hmmmm... A 17" diag? Do you find the notebook unweildly? Does the large
screen drag down the battery unnecessarily fast? Is the screen less bright
as a result?

Thanks

--
I've seen this a few times--Don't make this mistake:

Dwight: "This thing is wildly available."
Smedly: "Did you mean wildly, or /widely/ ?"
Dwight: "Both!", said while nodding emphatically.

Dwight was exposed to have made a grammatical
error and tries to cover it up by thinking
fast. This is so painfully obvious that he
only succeeds in looking worse.
April 26, 2005 12:39:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

[...]

April 26, 2005 12:39:58 AM

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
> the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
> kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
> whenever I viewed a document.
>
> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any common
> preference to one or the other?
>
> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional
> java development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting,
> etc.

I find myself docking my taskbar to the left of the screen in order to
reclaim lost vertical space on my 15.4" widescreen because I got the
cheapo 1280x800 screen. If you work w/emacs or something though for
java, then you can actually leave your start menu/task bar on the bottom
and maybe have 2 windows open side by side if you get a laptop w/a
higher resolution like the 1920x1200 Ultrasharp option on my Inspiron 6000.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:17:31 AM

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Hmmmm... A 17" diag? Do you find the notebook unweildly? Does the large
> screen drag down the battery unnecessarily fast? Is the screen less bright
> as a result?

The 6000 is 15.4". I've only had a couple of weeks so I can't address
the battery issue, but the screen is plenty bright. It might take some
people a bit of getting used to since I have resolution set to
1920x1200. Makes the fonts kinda small.

Bob
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:57:47 AM

Bob Levine coughed up:
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>

>> Hmmmm... A 17" diag? Do you find the notebook unweildly? Does the
>> large screen drag down the battery unnecessarily fast? Is the
>> screen less bright as a result?
>
> The 6000 is 15.4". I've only had a couple of weeks so I can't address
> the battery issue, but the screen is plenty bright. It might take some
> people a bit of getting used to since I have resolution set to
> 1920x1200. Makes the fonts kinda small.
>
> Bob

Well, with an lcd (driven digitally I hope?) you should always set your
resolution to the screens /native/ resolution. My 19" sony is DVI driven
and when everything is set to 1280x1024 a pixel is truly on or off with
nothing in between.

Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a standard aspect
ratio screen?

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Michael Lee coughed up:
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
>> the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
>> kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
>> whenever I viewed a document.
>>
>> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any common
>> preference to one or the other?
>>
>> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including
>> occasional java development, at home work, word processing, email,
>> usenet posting, etc.
>
> I find myself docking my taskbar to the left of the screen in order to
> reclaim lost vertical space on my 15.4" widescreen because I got the
> cheapo 1280x800 screen.

I always have my task bar on the left or right anyway. The only way to fly,
so long as it isn't "always on top".

> If you work w/emacs or something though for
> java, then you can actually leave your start menu/task bar on the
> bottom and maybe have 2 windows open side by sid

That's what I'm really trying to evaluate here: Just how much am I going to
miss the lost height, vs. how much I'm going to love the "increase" in
width.

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:41:51 AM

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a standard aspect
> ratio screen?

Not one bit.

Bob
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:42:34 AM

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> That's what I'm really trying to evaluate here: Just how much am I going to
> miss the lost height, vs. how much I'm going to love the "increase" in
> width.

Half full/half empty.

Bob
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:06:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in news:xAcbe.4862$RD.4734@trndny02:

> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
> the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
> kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
> whenever I viewed a document.

i have a 19" monitor (1280x1024) for my desktop, and a 15.4" (1280x800)
laptop, and I do NOT have a problem switching between computers.... these
days its hard to completely eliminate vertical scrollbars - are you really
gaining an advantage by scrolling down 7 lines instead of 13?

also, the wide screen gives easy access to several windows open at the same
time - i size them to about 1024px across, and it's easy to navigate around
them on screen. when using excel files or other horizontally-based
formats, 15.4 is obviously great (same for watching DVDs on the road). Not
to mention programs with palettes, where the extra horizontal space is very
helpful to dock the palettes AWAY from what I am working on (keeping the
palettes off the image i'm working on in photoshop, for example). if you
do coding (java development, etc), its also nice having the wide screen
because you can look at/compare/copy between files easily.

finally, carrying a 15.4" notebook under the arm is more
natural/comfortable/secure than smaller-screened ones.

to each their own; i love my widescreen notebook, i've had it over a year,
and have NO regrets.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Good Man coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about
>> the overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I
>> kept discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space
>> whenever I viewed a document.
>
> i have a 19" monitor (1280x1024) for my desktop, and a 15.4"
> (1280x800) laptop, and I do NOT have a problem switching between
> computers.... these days its hard to completely eliminate vertical
> scrollbars - are you really gaining an advantage by scrolling down 7
> lines instead of 13?
>
> also, the wide screen gives easy access to several windows open at
> the same time - i size them to about 1024px across, and it's easy to
> navigate around them on screen. when using excel files or other
> horizontally-based formats, 15.4 is obviously great (same for
> watching DVDs on the road). Not to mention programs with palettes,
> where the extra horizontal space is very helpful to dock the palettes
> AWAY from what I am working on (keeping the palettes off the image
> i'm working on in photoshop, for example). if you do coding (java
> development, etc), its also nice having the wide screen because you
> can look at/compare/copy between files easily.
>
> finally, carrying a 15.4" notebook under the arm is more
> natural/comfortable/secure than smaller-screened ones.
>
> to each their own; i love my widescreen notebook, i've had it over a
> year, and have NO regrets.

THANK you. This is very useful!

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Anonymous

I have the 15.4 now used to have 15
I don't really notice any height difference but the width is nice
With the 6000 I have the 128Mb video card which can drive a second monitor.
So if you are using it at home just use you 19" monitor with the laptop.

actual height is

9" vs. 8.25 for 15 vs. 15.4

width is 12 vs. 13

so the 15" monitor measure

9x 12"

and the 15.4 is 8.25 x 13

Wayne

wrote in message news:x48be.4503$WX.376@trndny01...

> I'm intrigued by the aspect ratio of the 15.4's, but am worried about the
> overall height. I went with a 19" LCD on my Dimension because I kept
> discovering that I seemed to want more and more vertical space whenever I
> viewed a document.
>
> Does anyone have any time with both and is there any /common/ preference
> to one or the other?
>
> The notebook could be used for basically anything, including occasional
> java development, at home work, word processing, email, usenet posting,
> etc.
>

> --
> Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs
> need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses
> before being bred. If you are breeding dogs without taking care as to the
> genetic quality of the dog (again, being purebred is *not* enough), you
> are what is known as a "backyard breeder" and are part of the problem.
> Most of the congenital problems of present day dogs are traceable directly
> to backyard breeding. Spay or neuter your pet responsibly, and don't just
> think that you're somehow the exception and can breed a dog without taking
> the care described.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:00:40 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:57:47 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a standard aspect
>ratio screen?

This confuses me a bit. I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800. Most of
the other ultra portables in this class which are normal aspect ratio
have a native resolution of 1024x768. So although it gives the
illusion of shorter, unless youre looking at 1280x1024 native
resolution laptops, you actually have more vertical space (and you
need less, because document text can span farther to the right before
you need to scroll down). The prior statement in parentheses is the
reason nobody will feel cramped with a vertical resolution that is 800
versus 1024. Personally I will probably never buy another normal
aspect laptop again.
April 29, 2005 9:00:41 PM

> I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800.

How you liking that 700m?

Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
day work?

Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
Dell 6000
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:00:42 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> > I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800.
>
> How you liking that 700m?
>
> Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
> day work?
>
> Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
> Dell 6000

I'm trying to figure you out.

Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
for yourself.

Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
"What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.

People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
to work with.

You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
thread) you'll like best.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
gonna have to make a decision on your own.

Maybe now's the time to start.

Notan
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:13:20 AM

D as in Dilapidated coughed up:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:57:47 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you miss the window height you normally would have with a
>> standard aspect ratio screen?
>
> This confuses me a bit. I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800. Most of
> the other ultra portables in this class which are normal aspect ratio
> have a native resolution of 1024x768. So although it gives the
> illusion of shorter, unless youre looking at 1280x1024 native
> resolution laptops, you actually have more vertical space

/No/ you don't. The number of pixels is just a measurement of clarity.
It's the vertical spacing that makes the difference. There is only so small
a font that someone is willing to put up with. Scrollbars no thinner than a
certain visual size. Adding pixels just makes this all clearer.

--
"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
Two weeks from everywhere!"

Notan coughed up:
> me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>> I got a 700m which runs at 1280x800.
>>
>> How you liking that 700m?
>>
>> Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
>> day work?
>>
>> Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
>> Dell 6000
>
> I'm trying to figure you out.
>
> Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
> for yourself.
>
> Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
> "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
>
> People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
> for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
> to work with.
>
> You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
> thread) you'll like best.
>
> Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
> gonna have to make a decision on your own.

And if he doesn't?

What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they like
and why?

There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of notebook
options than to ask for the empirical info.

--
"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
Two weeks from everywhere!"
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:17:39 AM

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

> Notan coughed up:

> >> How you liking that 700m?
> >>
> >> Do you find the 12.1" display plenty big enough for all
> >> day work?
> >>
> >> Or do you wish you had a 15.4" display such as in the
> >> Dell 6000
> >
> > I'm trying to figure you out.
> >
> > Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
> > for yourself.
> >
> > Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
> > "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
> >
> > People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
> > for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
> > to work with.
> >
> > You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
> > thread) you'll like best.
> >
> > Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
> > gonna have to make a decision on your own.
>
> And if he doesn't?
>
> What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they like
> and why?
>
> There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of notebook
> options than to ask for the empirical info.

I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different options?"
types of questions...

The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along the
lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."

THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for themselves.

To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.

Notan
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:30:48 AM

Notan coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>>
>> Notan coughed up:

>>> I'm trying to figure you out.
>>>
>>> Clearly, you're not the type of person that can make decisions
>>> for yourself.
>>>
>>> Many of your posts, in this and other newsgroups, are of the
>>> "What do you like best?" or "What should I buy?" variety.
>>>
>>> People's tastes differ. A small screen might be perfect
>>> for one person, while the next person finds it unbearable
>>> to work with.
>>>
>>> You, essentially, are asking people which laptop (in this
>>> thread) you'll like best.
>>>
>>> Sorry if I sound harsh, but, at some time or another, you're
>>> gonna have to make a decision on your own.
>>
>> And if he doesn't?
>>
>> What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what
>> they like and why?
>>
>> There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of
>> notebook options than to ask for the empirical info.
>
> I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different
> options?" types of questions...
>
> The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along
> the
> lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."
>
> THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for
> themselves.
>
> To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.

"Strictly", maybe, but you have no idea what other information he is taking
into account.

Besides, you're oversimplifying it Notan.

For example, I'm very much interested in what people personally liked about
the 15.4. I /want/ the subjective information. I can read the spec sheets,
but they don't tell me if there is a particular hassle that isn't listed.

For example, if someone posted back words to the effect of:

I discovered that the 15.4 just doesn't have the
vertical height I need for writing programs. I often
end up scrolling up and down far more than I used
to on my old 15" screen.

This tells me something. Subjective, sure, but if I start to see more
people with the same complaint, then it starts to become increasingly
objective.

--
"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
Two weeks from everywhere!"
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:30:49 AM

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

> Notan coughed up:
> > "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
> >>
> >> Notan coughed up:

> >> And if he doesn't?
> >>
> >> What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what
> >> they like and why?
> >>
> >> There's no better way to wade through this confusing matrix of
> >> notebook options than to ask for the empirical info.
> >
> > I can understand the "Which is faster?" or "What are the different
> > options?" types of questions...
> >
> > The types of questions that have been posted, however, are more along
> > the
> > lines of "Which is better, vanilla or chocolate."
> >
> > THE ANSWERS ARE SUBJECTIVE. One *has* to try the various options for
> > themselves.
> >
> > To rely strictly on what someone else likes is pretty foolish.
>
> "Strictly", maybe, but you have no idea what other information he is taking
> into account.
>
> Besides, you're oversimplifying it Notan.
>
> For example, I'm very much interested in what people personally liked about
> the 15.4. I /want/ the subjective information. I can read the spec sheets,
> but they don't tell me if there is a particular hassle that isn't listed.
>
> For example, if someone posted back words to the effect of:
>
> I discovered that the 15.4 just doesn't have the
> vertical height I need for writing programs. I often
> end up scrolling up and down far more than I used
> to on my old 15" screen.
>
> This tells me something. Subjective, sure, but if I start to see more
> people with the same complaint, then it starts to become increasingly
> objective.

I'm not basing my criticism strictly on this one thread or newsgroup.
Head over to alt.comp.software.financial.quicken... One of his questions
was "What should I name this category?" Not "How do you create a
category?" or "Are category names relevant to anything else?", etc.

The guy's not asking for direction, he's asking for someone to do
it for him.

Notan
April 30, 2005 12:41:24 PM

>What is the harm in him asking the opinion of even 100 people what they like
>and why?

Exactly

what's the big deal?

If Notan doesn't want to answer or read the thread...
than move on dude
April 30, 2005 12:44:08 PM

>Besides, you're oversimplifying it Notan.
>
>For example, I'm very much interested in what people personally liked about
>the 15.4. I /want/ the subjective information. I can read the spec sheets,
>but they don't tell me if there is a particular hassle that isn't listed.

Precisely!

I want subjective answers. I live in a small town with
no laptop sellers. I cant just go to a store and look
and feel the units.

And even the lowest cost laptops are not at a price to
sneeze at.

Sorry if I've offended anyone... but I DO want
subjective answers on what display size YOU like and
why.

Facts and figures sometimes do NOT tell the whole story
April 30, 2005 12:45:50 PM

>I'm not basing my criticism strictly on this one thread or newsgroup.
>Head over to alt.comp.software.financial.quicken... One of his questions
>was "What should I name this category?" Not "How do you create a
>category?" or "Are category names relevant to anything else?", etc.

yes I posted that question

So what?

Is it a crime to listen to how others have their
categories setup? To see what categories they use?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:58:12 AM

Notan he asked you a simple question: "How do YOU like the screen"?
Why do you have to be such a prick about it?

!