Programs not responding, windows fails to boot, lots of little things.

j12david

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I'm currently running windows 7 64 bit, and about a month ago I started noticing little problems. Like every program would start freezing up, or if I closed a program I'd have to go into task manager to get it to actually shut down. Then every game I had on steam (gaming platform) wouldn't validate anymore, so I had to reinstall steam to actually get any game to work. Then my computer just started getting REALLY slow, so I assumed I might have gotten a virus of some sort, I downloaded a few reputable programs to see if it could find anything, nothing. So I restart windows, and my wireless keyboard would work just fine, but my mouse wouldn't work. I restart again, and I can't even get windows to get to the login screen. So I decided I'd just pull out my windows disc and reinstall... well I did that, but I never formatted. I thought it might have been a HDD problem, and fortunately I just had bought a new hard drive so I went ahead and put windows on that drive, ran a few test on the old hard drive and every test came back just fine.

I actually still have windows on the other drive, and can still boot to it. I noticed that if I unplugged my mouse and plugged it back in, it would work. I'm just all confused on why it would recognize a usb mouse one day and not the other. Meanwhile my other HDD is booting just fine, and my computer is running at what seems to be about 80%. I'm debating on just formatting it all, and just restarting from fresh, but figured I'd ask for any suggestions before I nuke it.

The mouse problem could be a simple matter of altering the power saving options in Control Panel>System>Device Manager>USB. Under Power Management, remove the tick from "Allow the computer to turn this device off", click Apply and OK your way out.

I think you're right about your other problems and a Rootkit might be at the heart of it. Go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com and look into ComboFix but please read it all carefully before downloading and using it - it can cause serious damage if not used properly. A slightly lighter skim for Rootkits is Kaspersky's TDSSKiller from their website.
[/#000ff]