Deleting Outlook Express

July 7, 2005 4:36:01 PM

I recently crashed my laptop. After reinstalling XP & Office 2003 I would
like to get rid of the file for Outlook Express. I don't use it and don't
want it taking up the space on my hard drive. The probem is it doesn't want
to delete. I keep getting an error message that the program is still being
used, even when I disconnect from the net. I can't find it on Add/Delete
programs. If I try to delete each file within the folder, the computer
restores them! Can someone tell me how to get rid of this?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:56:38 PM

"kr_kilgore" <kr_kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't find it on Add/Delete
> programs.

In the pane on the right click "Add/Remove Windows Components". Or simply
press the accelerator keys Alt + w.

Now scroll down and UNcheck Outlook Express.

Click Next.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:50:48 PM

You cannot remove Outlook Express you can only remove access to it. Outlook
uses Outlook Express as its newsreader anyway.

How To Add or Remove a Windows Component in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307894

[[Note: While it may appear that Outlook 2003 does have newsgroup support,
when you launch the newsreader, it actually opens in an Outlook Express
window.]]

[[Outlook 2002 uses Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader. When you
install this component, a News command is placed on the Go To command on the
View menu in Outlook.]]
How to use Outlook Express as a newsreader in Outlook 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287684

[[Outlook does not run without Outlook Express installed because Outlook
shares files with Outlook Express.]]
OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287686

[[Microsoft does not support the use of Outlook 2000 without Outlook Express
installed.
Outlook shares files with Outlook Express. If you install Outlook with the
Internet Mail Only (IMO) option, Outlook will not run without Outlook
Express installed. If you install Outlook with the Corporate or Workgroup
(CW) option, Outlook loses much of its functionality.]]
Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230076

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6ACF053A-7790-40DA-BE58-771C5CB3A5F2@microsoft.com,
kr_kilgore <kr_kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I recently crashed my laptop. After reinstalling XP & Office 2003 I would
> like to get rid of the file for Outlook Express. I don't use it and don't
> want it taking up the space on my hard drive. The probem is it doesn't
> want to delete. I keep getting an error message that the program is still
> being used, even when I disconnect from the net. I can't find it on
> Add/Delete programs. If I try to delete each file within the folder, the
> computer restores them! Can someone tell me how to get rid of this?
July 7, 2005 7:52:04 PM

Thanks for the links - I figured out what I as looking for

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You cannot remove Outlook Express you can only remove access to it. Outlook
> uses Outlook Express as its newsreader anyway.
>
> How To Add or Remove a Windows Component in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307894
>
> [[Note: While it may appear that Outlook 2003 does have newsgroup support,
> when you launch the newsreader, it actually opens in an Outlook Express
> window.]]
>
> [[Outlook 2002 uses Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader. When you
> install this component, a News command is placed on the Go To command on the
> View menu in Outlook.]]
> How to use Outlook Express as a newsreader in Outlook 2002
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287684
>
> [[Outlook does not run without Outlook Express installed because Outlook
> shares files with Outlook Express.]]
> OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287686
>
> [[Microsoft does not support the use of Outlook 2000 without Outlook Express
> installed.
> Outlook shares files with Outlook Express. If you install Outlook with the
> Internet Mail Only (IMO) option, Outlook will not run without Outlook
> Express installed. If you install Outlook with the Corporate or Workgroup
> (CW) option, Outlook loses much of its functionality.]]
> Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230076
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:6ACF053A-7790-40DA-BE58-771C5CB3A5F2@microsoft.com,
> kr_kilgore <kr_kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I recently crashed my laptop. After reinstalling XP & Office 2003 I would
> > like to get rid of the file for Outlook Express. I don't use it and don't
> > want it taking up the space on my hard drive. The probem is it doesn't
> > want to delete. I keep getting an error message that the program is still
> > being used, even when I disconnect from the net. I can't find it on
> > Add/Delete programs. If I try to delete each file within the folder, the
> > computer restores them! Can someone tell me how to get rid of this?

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:43:11 AM

"kr_kilgore" <kr_kilgore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently crashed my laptop. After reinstalling XP & Office 2003 I would
> like to get rid of the file for Outlook Express. I don't use it and don't
> want it taking up the space on my hard drive. The probem is it doesn't
> want
> to delete. I keep getting an error message that the program is still being
> used, even when I disconnect from the net. I can't find it on Add/Delete
> programs. If I try to delete each file within the folder, the computer
> restores them! Can someone tell me how to get rid of this?

It wasn't originally installed as an extra program, why would it be there?
It was installed originally as part of Windows so modify your Windows
installation.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:12:37 PM

Glad you figured it out yourself.