Windows sees antivirus updater as new hardware

July 7, 2005 7:39:02 PM

I installed XP home on a laptop & tried installing Norton AntiVirus 2005 and
then AVG free (when Norton didn't work). In each case, I would get a windows
installer window popping up saying new hardware was found. It happened to be
the updater function of both antivirus programs. I tried to update the
driver each time, but with no luck.
Any idea as to what is causing this and better yet, how to fix this?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:00:49 PM

Go to Control Panel/add&remove
remove Norton....Norton updater..........AVG...........in that order
reboot
reinstall AVG..........throw Norton in the garbage
peterk

the problem
!