Windows sees antivirus updater as new hardware

I installed XP home on a laptop & tried installing Norton AntiVirus 2005 and
then AVG free (when Norton didn't work). In each case, I would get a windows
installer window popping up saying new hardware was found. It happened to be
the updater function of both antivirus programs. I tried to update the
driver each time, but with no luck.
Any idea as to what is causing this and better yet, how to fix this?
1 answer Last reply
More about windows sees antivirus updater hardware

    Go to Control Panel/add&remove
    remove Norton....Norton updater..........AVG...........in that order
    reboot
    reinstall AVG..........throw Norton in the garbage
    peterk

    the problem
    "romperroom" <romperroom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed XP home on a laptop & tried installing Norton AntiVirus 2005
    >and
    > then AVG free (when Norton didn't work). In each case, I would get a
    > windows
    > installer window popping up saying new hardware was found. It happened to
    > be
    > the updater function of both antivirus programs. I tried to update the
    > driver each time, but with no luck.
    > Any idea as to what is causing this and better yet, how to fix this?

Hardware Antivirus Windows XP