Windows sees antivirus updater as new hardware

I installed XP home on a laptop & tried installing Norton AntiVirus 2005 and
then AVG free (when Norton didn't work). In each case, I would get a windows
installer window popping up saying new hardware was found. It happened to be
the updater function of both antivirus programs. I tried to update the
driver each time, but with no luck.
Any idea as to what is causing this and better yet, how to fix this?

Go to Control Panel/add&remove
remove Norton....Norton updater..........AVG...........in that order
reboot
reinstall AVG..........throw Norton in the garbage
peterk

the problem