  • Blue Screen
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
July 8, 2005 1:32:24 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this group and wonder if there is anyone came across this
problem.

I basically have a machine , XP SP2 latest patch etc. Was using 256mb RAM
then upgraded to 2x 256 + 1x 512 to 1 GB .
After sticking the RAM in, the machine goes into rebooting and never able to
load windows.

I then remove the crashing HDD to a fresh system that already has Win XP SP2
| 2000 SP4 running.

Everytime I tried to boot that machine with the sick HDD as 2nd master , it
always reboot.
And then I put the sick HDD into an enclosure and when I connect it ,
somehow when windows traverse the contect, it Reboots again.

Tried using XP Repair procedure using the CD, no joy as when it is halfway
into the Repair it reboots.
Using Win2K recovery diskette , also no go as when the 4th disk is put in,
it crashes with random error.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to extract the data off that
HDD.

TIA

=bob=

More about : ntfs sys bsod

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:32:25 PM

Are you sure you install the same speed of RAM?
Have you tried removing the RAM you installed to see if it would boot?

After making a number of changes to the system it is necessary to do a
repair install and reactivate.
This article will explain it.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Windows XP has a built in security feature to prevent software piracy called
WPA (Windows Product Activation) so you can not move it to a different
system and get it to boot without doing a repair install, this will only add
to your problems.

Good Day
River Rat

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
Hi all,

I am new to this group and wonder if there is anyone came across this
problem.

I basically have a machine , XP SP2 latest patch etc. Was using 256mb RAM
then upgraded to 2x 256 + 1x 512 to 1 GB .
After sticking the RAM in, the machine goes into rebooting and never able to
load windows.

I then remove the crashing HDD to a fresh system that already has Win XP SP2
| 2000 SP4 running.

Everytime I tried to boot that machine with the sick HDD as 2nd master , it
always reboot.
And then I put the sick HDD into an enclosure and when I connect it ,
somehow when windows traverse the contect, it Reboots again.

Tried using XP Repair procedure using the CD, no joy as when it is halfway
into the Repair it reboots.
Using Win2K recovery diskette , also no go as when the 4th disk is put in,
it crashes with random error.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to extract the data off that
HDD.

TIA

=bob=
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:32:26 PM

"River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> Are you sure you install the same speed of RAM?
> Have you tried removing the RAM you installed to see if it would boot?

Yep. All are PC2100 RAM. Put the original RAM back in, no go.

> After making a number of changes to the system it is necessary to do a
> repair install and reactivate.
> This article will explain it.
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

err .. even adding RAM ? I add RAM to my own machine and I don't need to
reactivate
[we are using Windows volume lic as we are working in a education
environment ]

> Windows XP has a built in security feature to prevent software piracy
> called
> WPA (Windows Product Activation) so you can not move it to a different
> system and get it to boot without doing a repair install, this will only
> add
> to your problems.
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

err .. I am connecting the sick HDD and secondary master , not as the
primary master .

I read around and found that I need to use Knoppix on CD. O well .. I'll try
it next week.

=bob=
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:56:33 PM

"[BnH]" <b18@nsw.gov.au> wrote:

>err .. even adding RAM ? I add RAM to my own machine and I don't need to
>reactivate
>[we are using Windows volume lic as we are working in a education
>environment ]

RAM quantity is one of the control items monitored by activation, and
a change in the RAM on a machine where there had been other previous
hardware changes could be enough to push the cumulative changes to the
point where reactivation would be required.

However that is not relevant to this specific instance as volume
licenses do not require activation.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:01:26 AM

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am new to this group and wonder if there is anyone came across this
>problem.
>
>I basically have a machine , XP SP2 latest patch etc. Was using 256mb RAM
>then upgraded to 2x 256 + 1x 512 to 1 GB .
>After sticking the RAM in, the machine goes into rebooting and never able to
>load windows.

At least some of the new RAM is probably defective. Try doing the RAM
change 1 stick at a time, and test the machine each time. When the
rebooting problem appears then the last module you added is the
suspect.

Then try removing all of the RAM except the suspect module and try the
computer with just that one module by itself.

If this does not confirm that the module is defective then the problem
many be with the motherboard, with one of the RAM slots being damaged
or defective.

>I then remove the crashing HDD to a fresh system that already has Win XP SP2
>| 2000 SP4 running.
>
>Everytime I tried to boot that machine with the sick HDD as 2nd master , it
>always reboot.
>And then I put the sick HDD into an enclosure and when I connect it ,
>somehow when windows traverse the contect, it Reboots again.
>
>Tried using XP Repair procedure using the CD, no joy as when it is halfway
>into the Repair it reboots.
>Using Win2K recovery diskette , also no go as when the 4th disk is put in,
>it crashes with random error.
>
>I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to extract the data off that
>HDD.

Start by getting the drive diagnostic utility (free) from the hard
drive manufacturer's web site. Usually this will create a bootable
3.5 inch diskette.

Connect the problem hard drive as the primary IDE master, make sure
the BIOS is configured to boot from the 3.5 diskette drive first, and
boot the computer with the hard drive diagnostic diskette.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:06:21 PM

All no joy Ron.

I made 3 ghost image of the HDD and ran Seagate and Maxtor diagnostic tools
and all said something wrong with the file structure and asked me to run
chkdsk.
I tried installing on top, but that's no go too as when the CD wants to
enter the stage where we can choose R for repair .. it dumps 0x00000024
ntfs.sys error again.
I am now in the process of transfering the data after I booted using
Mandrake X as somehow Linux does not traverse the other HDD.

Hopefully I can have it finish by end of day today :p

thx

=bob=