Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE GOD HELP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
December 4, 2012 2:05:08 PM

i installed linux on my laptop, then proceeded to install xp on a separate partion,

linux was running fine, then the xp installed was running smooth. then it went to restart and now my computer fires up and displays a grey screen??, it doesnt even show the option to go into bios.

iv tried taking the HDD drive, still the same, iv tried starting it with the linux/xp disc in, it starts spinning and the hdd light flashes like its loading files..then stops and nothing. some one please try and help as i now have an unusable laptop! :( 

More about : god

December 4, 2012 2:14:27 PM

So it won't boot from a disk at all?
Try changing / swapping your memory around (boot from one stick) Sounds like it could be a RAM failure to me...
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2012 2:16:30 PM

Install XP first, then install Linux. What distro are using? Sounds like your boot loader is the problem at this point.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 4, 2012 2:23:06 PM

COLGeek said:
Install XP first, then install Linux. What distro are using? Sounds like your boot loader is the problem at this point.

i installed linux first -pinguy, then xp. I think it will be the boot loader.

And no, wont boot from disk,

when you power on as laptop for example a Dell, it will normally come on with a screen saying dell, intell etc. press f2 to enter set up.

Nothing comes up at all, it goes straight a grey ish screen, WHICH is the colour of the pinguy screen when its loading the OS,

Theres nothing I can do as I cant get into the bios. Help is greatly appreciated!
December 4, 2012 2:31:35 PM

If it is not POSTing, then it has nothing to do with your operating systems. It doesn't even check for an OS until after it is done with the POST. You probably have a hardware problem. Are you getting any beep codes?
December 4, 2012 2:33:04 PM

SOLVED- I know have to live with years of I told you so, my girlfriend googled the issue, and turns out it was a loose connection to the LCD........
December 4, 2012 2:38:45 PM

God says...give your girlfriend an extra Christmas gift this year...LOL!
December 4, 2012 2:51:27 PM

marsay001 said:
SOLVED- I know have to live with years of I told you so, my girlfriend googled the issue, and turns out it was a loose connection to the LCD........

Lol no offense. But what you should of done first ;) . Haha but glad it worked out for you.
!