Monitor is turning purple for a second and kind of blinking.

It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell Dimension 300 MHz
PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms up for a minute or
2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes on it on part of
the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.

Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card or something else
before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or monitor to swap
things around. The picture kind of maybe goes off for a fraction of a second and then
comes back on. I don't really know how to describe it. I'm not sure what I'm seeing. It
just started flashing purple, also for a brief moment at a time.

I'd like to be able to go to CompUSA and get whatever I need or possibly order something
from Dell. I don't know if anyone even makes or sells a graphics card that will work in
this computer. ;-) It's a Riva 128, first generation 3D card.

Thank you
6 answers Last reply
More about monitor turning purple kind blinking

    <DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
    > It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell
    > Dimension 300 MHz
    > PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms up
    > for a minute or
    > 2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes on
    > it on part of
    > the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.
    >
    > Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card or
    > something else
    > before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or
    > monitor to swap
    > things around.

    <snip>

    Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to do.
    See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an old
    monitor that works.

    Stew

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
    >> It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell
    >> Dimension 300 MHz
    >> PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms up
    >> for a minute or
    >> 2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes on
    >> it on part of
    >> the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.
    >>
    >> Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card or
    >> something else
    >> before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or
    >> monitor to swap
    >> things around.
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    >Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to do.
    >See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an old
    >monitor that works.
    >

    >Stew

    Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could do? I've never
    heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is going bad and
    the red and blue are what I'm seeing?

    > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
    >>> It's an old CRT, 7 years old. The computer is also 7 years old. Dell
    >>> Dimension 300 MHz
    >>> PII. For about a month or two the picture had been green until it warms
    >>> up
    >>> for a minute or
    >>> 2, then it looks like it always did. I also see dark horizontal stripes
    >>> on
    >>> it on part of
    >>> the screen. The stripes have been there for over a year.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way of telling if the problem is the monitor, graphics card
    >>> or
    >>> something else
    >>> before it quits working permanently? I don't have another computer or
    >>> monitor to swap
    >>> things around.
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>

    >>Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to
    >>do.
    >>See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an
    >>old
    >>monitor that works.
    >>

    >>Stew
    >>

    > Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could
    > do? I've never
    > heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is
    > going bad and
    > the red and blue are what I'm seeing?

    It sounds fairly typical - depending on the make/model of the monitor. The
    older Sony Trinitrons or Ultrascans very often will begin to discolor and
    sometimes will have a purple or mis-colored hue to the entire screen.

    Let's hope it's the monitor, as CRTs are plentiful (both used and new) and
    incredibly inexpensive.

    Stew

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:13:10 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    ><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    >> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message

    >>><snip>
    >>>

    >>>Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to
    >>>do.
    >>>See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an
    >>>old
    >>>monitor that works.
    >>>

    >>>Stew
    >>>

    >> Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could
    >> do? I've never
    >> heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is
    >> going bad and
    >> the red and blue are what I'm seeing?
    >>

    >It sounds fairly typical - depending on the make/model of the monitor. The
    >older Sony Trinitrons or Ultrascans very often will begin to discolor and
    >sometimes will have a purple or mis-colored hue to the entire screen.
    >
    >Let's hope it's the monitor, as CRTs are plentiful (both used and new) and
    >incredibly inexpensive.

    Yeah compared to 7 years ago they are a bargain. I paid around $630 or $640 for my 17"
    Iiyama plus $50 for shipping, you couldn't get them in local stores and I had to haggle a
    little to get them to bring the price down to that amount to match a competitor. $50
    off. :-) It's got a Trinitron type tube so maybe it is the monitor that's gone bad. It
    turned purple and stayed that way. I left it off for most of the day and when I turned it
    back on it was still purple, then it changed back to the way it's supposed to be. I think
    I'm going to wait until it goes bad again before I replace it so I can be sure the problem
    is with the monitor and not the graphics card. I think I'll bring the monitor to the store
    where I'm going to get a new one and ask them to hook it up to a computer.

    Thank you.

    Dying monitor. The long-term symptoms indicate this... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:06:46 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Dying monitor. The long-term symptoms indicate this... Ben Myers

    Thanks. I thought they might.

    >On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:46:28 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:05:34 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message

    >>><snip>
    >>>

    >>>Swapping the monitor would be an easy first step and is what you need to do.
    >>>See if a friend, relative, neighbor or local shop will let you borrow an old
    >>>monitor that works.
    >>>

    >>>Stew
    >>>

    >>Thanks Stew. Does turning purple sound like something a bad monitor could do? I've never
    >>heard of that before. Maybe it's got a yellow device or something that is going bad and
    >>the red and blue are what I'm seeing?

Dell Computer Monitors Computers