right hand toolbar - vanishing icons?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Running XP Pro with all updates. Periodically it decides not to show
running programs in the right hand toolbar. It always shows the
network icon, Messenger and my anti virus program, but mislays stuff
like Clipmate, my Calendar program etc - all of which are running but
inaccessible from the toolbar.

How do I sort this out? A corrupted registry key or somethiong?

You might have to set the system to open some apps after startup to get the Notification icons to show.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Pete" <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote in message news:7g7sc1h2dbj3u4321sdm0aine8rbs0ga8q@4ax.com...
> Running XP Pro with all updates. Periodically it decides not to show
> running programs in the right hand toolbar. It always shows the
> network icon, Messenger and my anti virus program, but mislays stuff
> like Clipmate, my Calendar program etc - all of which are running but
> inaccessible from the toolbar.
>
> How do I sort this out? A corrupted registry key or somethiong?

It is called the Notification Area.

Notification area icons are missing at startup
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7g7sc1h2dbj3u4321sdm0aine8rbs0ga8q@4ax.com,
Pete <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> hunted and pecked:
> Running XP Pro with all updates. Periodically it decides not to show
> running programs in the right hand toolbar. It always shows the
> network icon, Messenger and my anti virus program, but mislays stuff
> like Clipmate, my Calendar program etc - all of which are running but
> inaccessible from the toolbar.
>
> How do I sort this out? A corrupted registry key or somethiong?

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Running XP Pro with all updates. Periodically it decides not
> to show
> running programs in the right hand toolbar. It always shows
> the
> network icon, Messenger and my anti virus program, but mislays
> stuff
> like Clipmate, my Calendar program etc - all of which are
> running but
> inaccessible from the toolbar.
>
> How do I sort this out? A corrupted registry key or
> somethiong?

Sounds like it just hiding inactive icons, easy fix. Right clikc empty
space on task bar > Properties then deselecte "Hide Inactive icons"
clikc ok, and now it will display all icons all of the time.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-hand-toolbar-vanishing-icons-ftopict554508.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760895

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:12:07 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>It is called the Notification Area.
>
>Notification area icons are missing at startup
>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm

Thank you for this. I'd tried a search in Knowledge Base, but hadn't
found your link.

It seems shutting off SSDP discovery service is the only workaround,
since logging off and on again (the other suggestion) doesn't work for
me.

One of life's annoyances then....

pete

Pete,

If you do not have a home network, you do not need the SSDP Discovery
Service running.

It may not need to be running even if you do have a home network.

[[*If you don't have any of these devices, disable it. If you do have home
networking devices set up, test it out on Disable. If any device stops
working, set to Automatic.]]
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

SSDP Discovery Service
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128020314/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm