Internet Explorer Freezes

When I open IE 6.0 since yesterday and type a few words into the address bar,
it freezes for several minutes. Then it works again and I can finish typing
the url. Everything freezes. It won't go anywhere. I can open IE through
links in emails but using the address bar directly, no go....

Any ideas anyone?

I installed SP2 today and have Windows XP and IE6.

Kind regards
Eva Browne-Paterson
4 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer freezes

    Hi

    Have a look in the Event Viewer to see if there any 'Errors'. If so, could
    you plewase post the Event ID and Source?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "EvieB" <EvieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I open IE 6.0 since yesterday and type a few words into the address
    > bar,
    > it freezes for several minutes. Then it works again and I can finish
    > typing
    > the url. Everything freezes. It won't go anywhere. I can open IE through
    > links in emails but using the address bar directly, no go....
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > I installed SP2 today and have Windows XP and IE6.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > Eva Browne-Paterson

    Hello Danny

    Here are some entries from the Event Viewer:

    Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module
    hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. Category 101

    Next event:
    Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
    wininet.dll, version 6.0.2900.2668, fault address 0x0002192f. Category 100.

    Next event:
    Windows cannot access the file C:\Documents and Settings\Eva\Local
    Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat for one of the following reasons:
    there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is
    stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is
    missing. Windows closed the program index.dat because of this error.

    Program: index.dat
    File: C:\Documents and Settings\Eva\Local
    Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

    The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
    User Action
    1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that
    corrects itself when the program runs again.
    2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that
    there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify
    that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
    3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click
    Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type
    CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
    4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
    5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the
    disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or
    computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
    Additional Data
    Error value: C000009C
    Disk type: 3
    Category 100

    Next event:
    Faulting application brsvc01a.exe, version 1.0.0.3, faulting module unknown,
    version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0012e824. Category 100

    I hope this helps.

    Kind regards
    Eva

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have a look in the Event Viewer to see if there any 'Errors'. If so, could
    > you plewase post the Event ID and Source?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "EvieB" <EvieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I open IE 6.0 since yesterday and type a few words into the address
    > > bar,
    > > it freezes for several minutes. Then it works again and I can finish
    > > typing
    > > the url. Everything freezes. It won't go anywhere. I can open IE through
    > > links in emails but using the address bar directly, no go....
    > >
    > > Any ideas anyone?
    > >
    > > I installed SP2 today and have Windows XP and IE6.
    > >
    > > Kind regards
    > > Eva Browne-Paterson

    From the info in the event viewer, what a nifty little program that is!, I've
    disabled autocomplete and changed the history to 1 day and cleared it.

    All is working as it should now.

    Thank you Will for putting me onto it.

    Cheers
    Eva

    "EvieB" wrote:

> [...]
    > Eva
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Have a look in the Event Viewer to see if there any 'Errors'. If so, could
    > > you plewase post the Event ID and Source?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "EvieB" <EvieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I open IE 6.0 since yesterday and type a few words into the address
    > > > bar,
    > > > it freezes for several minutes. Then it works again and I can finish
    > > > typing
    > > > the url. Everything freezes. It won't go anywhere. I can open IE through
    > > > links in emails but using the address bar directly, no go....
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas anyone?
    > > >
    > > > I installed SP2 today and have Windows XP and IE6.

    I thought this problem was fixed but it works okay until the next time that I
    startup again... IE is looking for the history file in the incorrect location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Eva\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

    I found the file it wants but I can't move it or create a folder in
    history... I'm stuck.

    It's actually in the following locations:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Eva\Local
    Settings\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat

    Is there a way to make IE look for the file in the correct location so it
    works?

    Kind regards
    Eva Browne-Paterson

    "EvieB" wrote:

> [...]
    > > 5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the
    > > disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or
    > > computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
    > > Additional Data
    > > Error value: C000009C
    > > Disk type: 3
    > > Category 100
    > >
    > > Next event:
    > > Faulting application brsvc01a.exe, version 1.0.0.3, faulting module unknown,
    > > version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0012e824. Category 100
    > >
    > > I hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Kind regards
    > > Eva
    > >

    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > Have a look in the Event Viewer to see if there any 'Errors'. If so, could
    > > > you plewase post the Event ID and Source?

Internet Explorer Browsers Microsoft Windows XP