FA: Very Nice 3 Stooges Video Arcade Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmmmm, ..... last year I had one with a Blue Cabinet, ... but that one went
very quickly after the auction ended, ... maybe you're referring to that
one?
This is a different one. .. and the last one that I have, I might add. and
this one is nicer than the last one as well!

thanks
Allen

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Wonder if it will reserve.... this time..
>

> --
> -Steve P.
>

> "TreasureCove" <treasurecoveSPAM@iglou.com> wrote in message
>> Brides is Brides
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6160117458
>>
>> Thanks for looking!
>> Allen
>>
>> www.treasure-cove.net

That's probably the one.. Don't remember the particulars other than it
didn't make reserve..

--

> hmmmm, ..... last year I had one with a Blue Cabinet, ... but that one
> went very quickly after the auction ended, ... maybe you're referring to
> that one?
> This is a different one. .. and the last one that I have, I might add.
> and this one is nicer than the last one as well!
>
> thanks
> Allen
>

> "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Wonder if it will reserve.... this time..
>>

>> --
>> -Steve P.
>>

>> "TreasureCove" <treasurecoveSPAM@iglou.com> wrote in message
>>> Brides is Brides
>>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6160117458
>>>
>>> Thanks for looking!
>>> Allen
>>>
>>> www.treasure-cove.net

TreasureCove <treasurecoveSPAM@iglou.com> wrote:
: hmmmm, ..... last year I had one with a Blue Cabinet, ... but that one went
: very quickly after the auction ended, ... maybe you're referring to that
: one?
: This is a different one. .. and the last one that I have, I might add. and
: this one is nicer than the last one as well!

So this "Mint, Collector Quality" 3 stooges in a black painted cab is
nicer than the other "Mint, Collector Quality" 3 stooges in the original
factory blue cabinet...

Interesting.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

That's not even a 3 stooges cab, it's a qbert painted black probably
converted with an NOS stooges kit.

/b

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> TreasureCove <treasurecoveSPAM@iglou.com> wrote:
> : hmmmm, ..... last year I had one with a Blue Cabinet, ... but that one
> went
> : very quickly after the auction ended, ... maybe you're referring to that
> : one?
> : This is a different one. .. and the last one that I have, I might add.
> and
> : this one is nicer than the last one as well!
>
> So this "Mint, Collector Quality" 3 stooges in a black painted cab is
> nicer than the other "Mint, Collector Quality" 3 stooges in the original
> factory blue cabinet...
>
> Interesting.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

The other 3 Stooges we had, ... the photos are the ones on the KLOV site,
.... so you can compare those to this one.

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> TreasureCove <treasurecoveSPAM@iglou.com> wrote:
> : hmmmm, ..... last year I had one with a Blue Cabinet, ... but that one
> went
> : very quickly after the auction ended, ... maybe you're referring to that
> : one?
> : This is a different one. .. and the last one that I have, I might add.
> and
> : this one is nicer than the last one as well!
>
> So this "Mint, Collector Quality" 3 stooges in a black painted cab is
> nicer than the other "Mint, Collector Quality" 3 stooges in the original
> factory blue cabinet...
>
> Interesting.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

We checked, and this cab has never been any color other than black, no
yellows, blues, or any other color underneath. I was told that the factory
produced some of these games with the black cab before switching to blue.
.... and it isn't a conversion either.

Allen

TreasureCove wrote:
> We checked, and this cab has never been any color other than black, no
> yellows, blues, or any other color underneath. I was told that the factory
> produced some of these games with the black cab before switching to blue.
> ... and it isn't a conversion either.
>
> Allen
>
> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>That's not even a 3 stooges cab, it's a qbert painted black probably
>>converted with an NOS stooges kit.
>>
>>/b

I'm going to say:

Converted Mad Planets pcb.
If you zoom in on the sticker on the upper left corner of the main pcb,
you can make out GV-102 which is a Mad Planets board.

A legit Stooges board has factory jumpers on the board, the one in
auction does not.

A legit Stooges pcb uses the orange back up battery pack, not the black
one.

A Mad Planets pcb has the big brown and flat disc cap near the bottom
left corner. A legit Stooges board has a small tantalum (sp?) cap in
that position.

The mounting board in the auction game has extra stand offs for other
boards. I think this mounting board was pulled from another game.
Perhaps MACH 3?

I also believe the cab to be a Mad Planets as well but the insides
differ from mine. Mine does not have the shelf by the coin box.
Also, Gottlieb/Mylstar used metal brackets to hold monitors in place,
not wood ones.

I'm curious to see what the date codes are on the auction machine.
Any chance we can get a close up shot of the rom codes?

-Stephen

There was evidently a lot of swapping, Mylstar using what was available for
the prototypes and for production games, especially since Mylstar went out
of business in "84. You yourself even mention Mylstar changing things on a
few of your past posts Stephen... "The proto Three Stooges cab has the
Mylstar logo air brushed on it.
The logo is pretty big and it was in red/bue/black colors. There was one at
an Los Angeles auction a couple years back."

And in another article re: the Qubes you have...you mention how the factory
changed cabinets etc placing Qubes side art over Qbert artwork......and the
Boards were modified and how the factory.placed stickers overtop others on
the boards and chips etc etc...... and here is what the author of the
Soitenly Stooges book says about the game...
In 1984, the year the Stooge game was introduced to the video arcade
industry, Mylstar declared bankrupcy and went out of business. As with most
situations like this, a judge usually instructs the company to liquidate
it's assets quickly to pay back it's creditors. Since the Stooge game was
just being introduced at that time it had a limited number of orders placed
for it. So the company converted the remaining unsold Stooge games, into
their better selling games.
So from what I have dug up, I dont believe Mylstar had any set of "factory
standards" common on machines they shipped to a customer during 1984. They
sold/scrounged whatever they could to satisfy a customer which is why Coca
Cola dumped Mylstar also ..and since much of the history on the Mylstar
games is but a memory the 3 years they were in business we can only
speculate all the different possibilities.

BTW, the Roms towards the top of the board are 5-15-84 and the ones at the
bottom are 1.8 dated 3-30-84

"Stephen Beall" <mylstar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> TreasureCove wrote:
>> We checked, and this cab has never been any color other than black, no
>> yellows, blues, or any other color underneath. I was told that the
>> factory produced some of these games with the black cab before switching
>> to blue. ... and it isn't a conversion either.
>>
>> Allen
>>
>> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>That's not even a 3 stooges cab, it's a qbert painted black probably
>>>converted with an NOS stooges kit.
>>>
>>>/b
>>>

> I'm going to say:
>
> Converted Mad Planets pcb.
> If you zoom in on the sticker on the upper left corner of the main pcb,
> you can make out GV-102 which is a Mad Planets board.
>
> A legit Stooges board has factory jumpers on the board, the one in auction
> does not.
>
> A legit Stooges pcb uses the orange back up battery pack, not the black
> one.
>
> A Mad Planets pcb has the big brown and flat disc cap near the bottom left
> corner. A legit Stooges board has a small tantalum (sp?) cap in that
> position.
>
> The mounting board in the auction game has extra stand offs for other
> boards. I think this mounting board was pulled from another game. Perhaps
> MACH 3?
>
> I also believe the cab to be a Mad Planets as well but the insides differ
> from mine. Mine does not have the shelf by the coin box.
> Also, Gottlieb/Mylstar used metal brackets to hold monitors in place, not
> wood ones.
>
> I'm curious to see what the date codes are on the auction machine.
> Any chance we can get a close up shot of the rom codes?
>
> -Stephen

Yes, Qbert Qubes were factory conversions of Qbert cabs.
Gott/Mylstar stopped using that "Qbert" style cabs after Mad Planets
which started production in Apr. of 1983. Stooges went into production
in July of 1984 and used the Juno Fist/Krull/Stooges style cabs.

Proto Stooges cabs were in Juno Fist/Krull/Stooges cabs with the Mylstar
logo air brushed on the sides. If youcan find reruns of Whats Happining
Now, there is a proto Stooges in the diner the kids hang out at.

Is your Stooges a proto? Maybe, but my gut tells me no.
Is it a Mad Planets pcb conversion? You bet!

I'd like to know the date codes on the actual rom production date, not
the date on the label. The rom production code will be a 4 digit # like
3583. That means the chip was mfg'd in the 35th week of 1983.

Oh, this is not a flame post. I'm just curious about this machine since
I collect Gottlieb/Mylstar games. :)

-Stephen

TreasureCove wrote:
> [...]
>>does not.
>>
>>A legit Stooges pcb uses the orange back up battery pack, not the black
>>one.
>>
>>A Mad Planets pcb has the big brown and flat disc cap near the bottom left
>>corner. A legit Stooges board has a small tantalum (sp?) cap in that
>>position.
>>
>>The mounting board in the auction game has extra stand offs for other
>>boards. I think this mounting board was pulled from another game. Perhaps
>>MACH 3?
>>
>>I also believe the cab to be a Mad Planets as well but the insides differ
>>from mine. Mine does not have the shelf by the coin box.
>>Also, Gottlieb/Mylstar used metal brackets to hold monitors in place, not
>>wood ones.
>>
>>I'm curious to see what the date codes are on the auction machine.
>>Any chance we can get a close up shot of the rom codes?

Hi Steve;

Some of the EPROMS just say Intel '82, some ROMS have 8303, and others have
8305, and 8306.

ROM 0,1,2,3,4 have GV-113, 3/30/84 and 8.0 on them, ... and
FG0,1,2,3 have 8.0 with a date of 5/15/84

the sound roms are also dated 5/15/84 as well.

peace
Allen