ana

I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can not
from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in DOS
What can I do ?any idea?

thanks
gema

Hi Gema

You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the setup
program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'. What
is the exact error message you are seeing?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can not
> from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in DOS
> What can I do ?any idea?
>
> thanks
> gema

ana

the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk Please
insert a bootable floopy .... "

I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :eek:(

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi Gema
>
> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the setup
> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'. What
> is the exact error message you are seeing?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can not
> > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in DOS
> > What can I do ?any idea?
> >
> > thanks
> > gema

Hi

What type of XP CD do you have and where did you get it from?

--

> the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
> Please
> insert a bootable floopy .... "
>
> I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :eek:(
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi Gema
>>
>> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
>> setup
>> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
>> What
>> is the exact error message you are seeing?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can
>> >not
>> > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in
>> > DOS
>> > What can I do ?any idea?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > gema

Have you used the disk before to install XP at any time?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
> Please
> insert a bootable floopy .... "
>
> I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :eek:(
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi Gema
>>
>> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
>> setup
>> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
>> What
>> is the exact error message you are seeing?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can
>> >not
>> > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in
>> > DOS
>> > What can I do ?any idea?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > gema

ana

the cd is an original one we bought it when we bought the nootbook and now
it sems to work .... I think that the dvd lector has a problem and that was
the reson
Now I am installing it ..

thank you for your help
gema

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Have you used the disk before to install XP at any time?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
> > Please
> > insert a bootable floopy .... "
> >
> > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :eek:(
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Gema
> >>
> >> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
> >> setup
> >> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
> >> What
> >> is the exact error message you are seeing?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

Hope the install goes without any problems.

--

> the cd is an original one we bought it when we bought the nootbook and
> now
> it sems to work .... I think that the dvd lector has a problem and that
> was
> the reson
> Now I am installing it ..
>
> thank you for your help
> gema
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Have you used the disk before to install XP at any time?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
>> > Please
>> > insert a bootable floopy .... "
>> >
>> > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive
>> > :eek:(

Make sure the boot priority is set that the computer first looks at the CD
Rom drive before the hard disk. For the BIOS, there will be a section in the
manual of the motherboard about changing boot priority. For entering the
BIOS normally you see "Hit DEL to enter setup" as one of the first sreens
when powering on your PC, but this can vary in motherboards and brands.

You can also download XP Setup Boot disks from the MS website that start
with disks and after the first section of the install from the disks change
to the cd-rom media.

When booting from a simple floppy disk (win98 or so) you need to change to
the CD Rom drive letter, E: for example and then change directories to the
I386 directory (CD I386) and then launch winnt as the command.

For last 2 ways you need your computer to boot from floppys ... if your pc
doesn't boot from floppys you have to change it in the BIOS, but then you
can easily change it to cd rom first sice that is the easiest and fastest
way.

"Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
Please
> insert a bootable floopy .... "
>
> I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :eek:(
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
> > Hi Gema
> >
> > You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
setup
> > program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
What
> > is the exact error message you are seeing?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can
not
> > > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in
DOS
> > > What can I do ?any idea?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > gema