I need help

I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can not
from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in DOS
What can I do ?any idea?

thanks
gema
8 answers Last reply
More about help

    Hi Gema

    You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the setup
    program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'. What
    is the exact error message you are seeing?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can not
    > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in DOS
    > What can I do ?any idea?
    >
    > thanks
    > gema

    the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk Please
    insert a bootable floopy .... "

    I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :o(

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi Gema
    >
    > You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the setup
    > program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'. What
    > is the exact error message you are seeing?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can not
    > > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in DOS
    > > What can I do ?any idea?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > gema

    Hi

    What type of XP CD do you have and where did you get it from?

    --

    > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
    > Please
    > insert a bootable floopy .... "
    >
    > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :o(
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Gema
    >>
    >> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
    >> setup
    >> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
    >> What
    >> is the exact error message you are seeing?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can
    >> >not
    >> > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in
    >> > DOS
    >> > What can I do ?any idea?
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> > gema

    Have you used the disk before to install XP at any time?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
    > Please
    > insert a bootable floopy .... "
    >
    > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :o(
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Gema
    >>
    >> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
    >> setup
    >> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
    >> What
    >> is the exact error message you are seeing?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can
    >> >not
    >> > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in
    >> > DOS
    >> > What can I do ?any idea?
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> > gema

    the cd is an original one we bought it when we bought the nootbook and now
    it sems to work .... I think that the dvd lector has a problem and that was
    the reson
    Now I am installing it ..

    thank you for your help
    gema

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Have you used the disk before to install XP at any time?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
    > > Please
    > > insert a bootable floopy .... "
    > >
    > > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :o(
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Gema
    > >>
    > >> You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
    > >> setup
    > >> program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
    > >> What
    > >> is the exact error message you are seeing?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    Hope the install goes without any problems.

    --

    > the cd is an original one we bought it when we bought the nootbook and
    > now
    > it sems to work .... I think that the dvd lector has a problem and that
    > was
    > the reson
    > Now I am installing it ..
    >
    > thank you for your help
    > gema
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you used the disk before to install XP at any time?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
    >> > Please
    >> > insert a bootable floopy .... "
    >> >
    >> > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive
    >> > :o(

    Make sure the boot priority is set that the computer first looks at the CD
    Rom drive before the hard disk. For the BIOS, there will be a section in the
    manual of the motherboard about changing boot priority. For entering the
    BIOS normally you see "Hit DEL to enter setup" as one of the first sreens
    when powering on your PC, but this can vary in motherboards and brands.

    You can also download XP Setup Boot disks from the MS website that start
    with disks and after the first section of the install from the disks change
    to the cd-rom media.

    When booting from a simple floppy disk (win98 or so) you need to change to
    the CD Rom drive letter, E: for example and then change directories to the
    I386 directory (CD I386) and then launch winnt as the command.

    For last 2 ways you need your computer to boot from floppys ... if your pc
    doesn't boot from floppys you have to change it in the BIOS, but then you
    can easily change it to cd rom first sice that is the easiest and fastest
    way.

    "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
    Please
    > insert a bootable floopy .... "
    >
    > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :o(
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Gema
    > >
    > > You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
    setup
    > > program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
    What
    > > is the exact error message you are seeing?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I had to format my computer and now I want to instal Win XP but I can
    not
    > > > from the cd I have because it says that I can not execute setup.exe in
    DOS
    > > > What can I do ?any idea?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > > gema

    thank you for your help

    gema

    "Michel Vaillant" wrote:

    > Make sure the boot priority is set that the computer first looks at the CD
    > Rom drive before the hard disk. For the BIOS, there will be a section in the
    > manual of the motherboard about changing boot priority. For entering the
    > BIOS normally you see "Hit DEL to enter setup" as one of the first sreens
    > when powering on your PC, but this can vary in motherboards and brands.
    >
    > You can also download XP Setup Boot disks from the MS website that start
    > with disks and after the first section of the install from the disks change
    > to the cd-rom media.
    >
    > When booting from a simple floppy disk (win98 or so) you need to change to
    > the CD Rom drive letter, E: for example and then change directories to the
    > I386 directory (CD I386) and then launch winnt as the command.
    >
    > For last 2 ways you need your computer to boot from floppys ... if your pc
    > doesn't boot from floppys you have to change it in the BIOS, but then you
    > can easily change it to cd rom first sice that is the easiest and fastest
    > way.
    >

    > "Ana" <Ana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > the message says " NON-Emulation booting This is not a bootable disk
    > Please
    > > insert a bootable floopy .... "
    > >
    > > I think I can not install the version I have from an empty hard drive :o(
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Gema
    > > >
    > > > You should be able to boot with the XP CD in the cd drive and then the
    > setup
    > > > program will start automatically. You don't need install from 'DOS'.
    > What
    > > > is the exact error message you are seeing?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Will Denny
    > > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > > Please reply to the News Groups