Dimension 5000 and 5.1 speaker system

A colleague of mine has just bought a Dimension 5000, with it he bought a
set of Dell surround sound speakers. The speakers have colour coded
connectors connecting to the PC, they actually connect the PC direct to the
amplifier/sub woofer unit, then the speakers each connect to this as well.

We connected up the PC as per the colour coding, it doesn't have a separate
sound card, so connected to the jacks that use the onboard sound. We set
the speaker system system to 5.1 in Windows XP (via Control Panel/Sounds
and Audio Settings/Advanced Audio Properties).

Problem is only getting sound out through the front left and right
speakers. Does anyone how to make 5.1 work with a Dimension 5000 and
onboard sound?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about dimension 5000 speaker system

    I don't have any experience with the 5000, but have to ask the obvious
    question. Are you playing something that was encoded as 5.1? Not just a
    stereo based piece of music?

    Tom
    "Ezhik" <replytonewsgroup@nothankyou.nut> wrote in message
    >A colleague of mine has just bought a Dimension 5000, with it he bought a
    > set of Dell surround sound speakers. The speakers have colour coded
    > connectors connecting to the PC, they actually connect the PC direct to
    > the
    > amplifier/sub woofer unit, then the speakers each connect to this as well.
    >
    > We connected up the PC as per the colour coding, it doesn't have a
    > separate
    > sound card, so connected to the jacks that use the onboard sound. We set
    > the speaker system system to 5.1 in Windows XP (via Control Panel/Sounds
    > and Audio Settings/Advanced Audio Properties).
    >
    > Problem is only getting sound out through the front left and right
    > speakers. Does anyone how to make 5.1 work with a Dimension 5000 and
    > onboard sound?
    >
    > Thanks

    make sure the system is enabled for the 5.1 speakers.
    check under audio in the control panel.

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:16:57 GMT, Tom Scales wrote:

    > I don't have any experience with the 5000, but have to ask the obvious
    > question. Are you playing something that was encoded as 5.1? Not just a
    > stereo based piece of music?
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks for that, you may have hit the nail on the head! I'll get him to
    play a 5.1 DVD and re-check.

    Cheers

Dell Speakers Dimension 5000 Computers