The Answer that answers it all!

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Unless you got a really sh!tty computer, switch to win2k or winxp. Win 95/98 is a thing of the past.

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
98SE is faster than XP on older equipment, even good older equipment. XP requires around twice as much memory to even get similar performance. Also downgrading to XP means a lot of your older games will no longer work, as well as a lot of your older hardware, stuff as recent as 2 years old. I have a USB modem and TV card that won't work under XP, and my sound card requires hacks to enable it's hardware features under XP.

Also, a severe crash under XP is more likely to require a format in order to get the system up again. I've been through that twice from overclocking. Similar problems under 98SE would be repairable by overwriting the files.

I can't think of a good reason to get rid of 98SE as long as you have stable hardware to begin with. The only problem I've ever had with 98SE was memory leaks, I added a memory manager and 98SE was problem free.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Crash, how are you buddy, i can always count on you to reply and refute one of my posts. I mean, even if you were to be completely wrong, i couldnt argue with a Honorary Guru of THCG, after all im just an addict. You are right tho, and that is why i wrote "Unless you got a really sh!tty computer". But i guess that was too extreme, i meant and should have said "Unless you got an older computer".

hows life tho?

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, there are a lot of powerful older boxes out there that will continue to run 90% of todays applications, that would be either slowed down, loose hardware, or both, under XP.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't remember...it was a free one.

I'm stuck on XP right now because when I tried XP I converted to NTFS, then later wiped the partition and made it Fat32, I started having partition problem under 98. If I were to wipe the whole drive and start clean, that would clear the problems I'm sure. But I've got so much stuff on my other partitions and nowhere to back it up to, I don't want to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I should also advise against doing this with small hard drives, as my memory manager took unused files from RAM and cached them to the hard drive. After a week or so I had 1.5GB of trash in that file.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Maybe the program Crashman is talking about is Cacheman.

I like win 98SE alot too, because I still play older games.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i agree with crashman, i have tried winxp and alot of my hardware wouldnt work right, even my force feedback MS joystick wouldnt work right, winxp said it had the driver, loaded it and all, BS! the damn thing was flakey as hell! went back to win98se and havent regretted it once! anybody else here tried lindows yet? combo of windows and linux, sucks bigtime....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Ditto here Crashman. Only thing is I've got WIN 98SE, WIN XP PRO CORP, and SuSE 8.1 on a triple boot. Got LINUX booting off of a diskette though. Windows doesn't like sharing the MBR with strangers. :frown:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Similar- had problems on older games w/XP (only a couple of yrs old). I will stick w/98 a little longer.

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

lespaul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I can play all my older games, including Quake 1 no probs on XP. I have no incompatible hardware w/ xp/2k either so i love them :)

98SE was fast though.. I just hate BSOD's and the need to reboot at least once a day, and the lack of nice features 2k/xp have.