Sign in with
Your question

Dv6-3111sa switchable graphics install problem, is my graphics broken

December 5, 2012 10:40:26 AM

i have just bought a dv6-3111sa second hand.

on initial inspection i found 2 display adapters listed. hd4200 series and vga display.

when i looked at the laptop specs on your website i found it should have a hd 5470.

so i went hp support and downloaded the graphics driver listed for my laptop (win 7 64bit)

when i rebooted after install my graphics crashed when booting into windows, the laptop was still running and windows loaded but with a black screen (i could hear the windows tune as it loaded)

i re-booted in safe mode and looked in device manager. device manager shows 'amd m880g with ati mobility radeon hd 4250' and 'ati mobility radeon hd 5470'

I un-installed hd 5470 and re-booted into normal windows.

on re-boot windows opens without graphics crash, however, windows then automatically re-installs hd5470 driver and on re-boot graphics crashes enterining windows again.

on entering safe mode again i see hd 5470 listed in device manager with no exclamation marks. but then on re-boot into normal windows the cycle repeats as above.

i have tried un- installing and re- installing.

i have used amd support and downloaded the utility, which then installs legacy drivers for hd 4200 series (not hd 4250)

this installs but then as soon as i re-boot i get same prob as above.

i have installed latest mobility program from ati, and when i get half way through and it starts to install drivers the graphics crash and the screen goes blank again.

i have read in some forums this is an issue with these display adapters. some recommend installing drivers seperately?

i have only a short time scale to solve this problem as i may be able to get my money back on the laptop if it cannot be solved.

is this a software issue or is my hd 5470 broken?

please can someone help me or point me in the right direction, im currently going round in circles.
!