Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Automatic Updates

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 8:57:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any other
selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all MS updates and
also Mcafee software.

More about : automatic updates

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:26:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Avs wrote:
> I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any
> other selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all MS
> updates and also Mcafee software.

Windows XP Home or Professional?
Administrative user?
Are you in a domain?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:26:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Good Day,
I am using XP Home and am looged in as administrator. As for
domain I am unsure but since starting using XP I get a Local Area Conection
Status of limited or no connectivity in addition to the icon when I connect
to the internet.

Avs

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Avs wrote:
> > I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any
> > other selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all MS
> > updates and also Mcafee software.
>
> Windows XP Home or Professional?
> Administrative user?
> Are you in a domain?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:34:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have heard this works when having problems with auto update.
Procedure to manually Re-Install Automatic Update Client

You can do this as follows:

1. Go to the Windows Command prompt (CMD.EXE).

2. From the CMD.EXE prompt, run the following command;

For Windows XP SP2
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%systemroot%\inf\au.inf

For Windows 2000 SP4/ Windows 2003/ XP RTM and SP1
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection AutoUpdate 132
%systemroot%\inf\au.inf

Running this command prompts you for the XP installation CD. Alternately,
you can use Browse button and navigate to C:\Winnt\Servicepackfiles\I386
where wuapi.dll and other files related to Automatic Update Client can be
found. After running this command, you must restart your computer.

Once restarted, you can open the Services Control Panel Applet and check to
ensure the Automatic Update Service is installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555331#appliesto








"Avs" wrote:

> Good Day,
> I am using XP Home and am looged in as administrator. As for
> domain I am unsure but since starting using XP I get a Local Area Conection
> Status of limited or no connectivity in addition to the icon when I connect
> to the internet.
>
> Avs
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > Avs wrote:
> > > I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any
> > > other selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all MS
> > > updates and also Mcafee software.
> >
> > Windows XP Home or Professional?
> > Administrative user?
> > Are you in a domain?
> >
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP
> > --
> > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Automatic Updates options are greyed out?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm

Then, see:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...


"Avs" <Avs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5B051258-F83F-45D9-92CE-C0AAEA34337F@microsoft.com...
> Good Day,
> I am using XP Home and am looged in as administrator. As for
> domain I am unsure but since starting using XP I get a Local Area
> Conection
> Status of limited or no connectivity in addition to the icon when I
> connect
> to the internet.
>
> Avs
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Avs wrote:
>> > I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any
>> > other selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all MS
>> > updates and also Mcafee software.
>>
>> Windows XP Home or Professional?
>> Administrative user?
>> Are you in a domain?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:10:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am running an antivirus program, do I need to do the second step. Also even
though I can't select manual updates I can access the update page and
download updates. So my question is, will removing the restrictions in
regedit.exe fix the problem. Also is it wise to create a system restore point
before deleting values.

Avs

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Automatic Updates options are greyed out?:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm
>
> Then, see:
>
> Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>
>
> "Avs" <Avs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5B051258-F83F-45D9-92CE-C0AAEA34337F@microsoft.com...
> > Good Day,
> > I am using XP Home and am looged in as administrator. As for
> > domain I am unsure but since starting using XP I get a Local Area
> > Conection
> > Status of limited or no connectivity in addition to the icon when I
> > connect
> > to the internet.
> >
> > Avs
> >
> > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
> >
> >> Avs wrote:
> >> > I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any
> >> > other selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all MS
> >> > updates and also Mcafee software.
> >>
> >> Windows XP Home or Professional?
> >> Administrative user?
> >> Are you in a domain?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:31:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

>> Also is it wise to create a system restore point before deleting values.

It's always a wise idea to create a registry backup of System Restore.

>> Will removing the restrictions in regedit.exe fix the problem.

Yes, I think it should. There _may_ be other Policy settings as well.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...


"Avs" <Avs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D DB892FF-8D8A-4F76-A008-75CC27401830@microsoft.com...
>I am running an antivirus program, do I need to do the second step. Also
>even
> though I can't select manual updates I can access the update page and
> download updates. So my question is, will removing the restrictions in
> regedit.exe fix the problem. Also is it wise to create a system restore
> point
> before deleting values.
>
> Avs
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Automatic Updates options are greyed out?:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm
>>
>> Then, see:
>>
>> Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>>
>>
>> "Avs" <Avs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5B051258-F83F-45D9-92CE-C0AAEA34337F@microsoft.com...
>> > Good Day,
>> > I am using XP Home and am looged in as administrator. As
>> > for
>> > domain I am unsure but since starting using XP I get a Local Area
>> > Conection
>> > Status of limited or no connectivity in addition to the icon when I
>> > connect
>> > to the internet.
>> >
>> > Avs
>> >
>> > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Avs wrote:
>> >> > I cannot change the selection in automatic updates automatic to any
>> >> > other selection as they have been grayed out. I have installed all
>> >> > MS
>> >> > updates and also Mcafee software.
>> >>
>> >> Windows XP Home or Professional?
>> >> Administrative user?
>> >> Are you in a domain?
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Shenan Stanley
>> >> MS-MVP
>> >> --
>> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
!