Anyone knows if Fido Phones can be wiretapped

Last response: in Network Providers
June 29, 2005 6:07:40 PM

Hi,

Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
third party sources?

Thanks,

Garci

More about : fido phones wiretapped

June 29, 2005 7:59:42 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:07:40 -0400, "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
>third party sources?

Any line can be tapped if there's an order for the hosting company to
allow it. All they have to do is make a tap at the central office on
the switch.
- -
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:58:20 PM

Hello Garci wrote:
> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> third party sources?

GSM phones have encrypted comms over the air. Therretically can be
done, but difficult.

However, given proper warrants, police can go into the Central ofices
and listen to your conversations just like they do with landlines.

(and in the USA, they don't even need warrants anymore thanks to patriot act).
Related resources
June 30, 2005 2:05:11 AM

Hello Garci,

Why do you want to know? Do you want to continue your cut conversation with
your phone pal, the dwarf?

Atty. Ong

"Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> third party sources?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Garci

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:10:41 AM

Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
inexpensive scanner.

"Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> third party sources?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Garci

June 30, 2005 3:10:42 AM

TDMA is digital.

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote in
message news:D yJwe.49156$sg7.1030910@weber.videotron.net...
> Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
> very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
> network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
> inexpensive scanner.
>

> "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
>> third party sources?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Garci

June 30, 2005 12:24:15 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:10:41 -0400, "Harry Eugene Ly"
<consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote:

>Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
>very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
>network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
>inexpensive scanner.

*Newsflash!* So called "TDMA" which you probably mean IS-136 *is* a
digital mobile standard. And just further for your information GSM
*is* TDMA also. The only mobile communications that you can
"easedrop" (look that one up in the dictionary!) on is analogue (AMPS
in North America.)

- -
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:41:24 PM

Any old TV (pre mid 1980s) that goes up to UHF 83 can listen in on
analog cell phone calls.

In article <11c6v7femou3he7@corp.supernews.com>, lurker <lurker@this.ng> wrote:
>TDMA is digital.
>

>"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote in
>message news:D yJwe.49156$sg7.1030910@weber.videotron.net...
>> Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
>> very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
>> network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
>> inexpensive scanner.
>>

>> "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
>>> third party sources?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Garci

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:57:50 PM

Hello Garci wrote:
> No, I am not planning to do something illegal, I just want privacy. I have a
> lot of secret inventions that I talk about in my phone and I still have to
> patent them. Just being careful.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Garci
>
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote in
> message news:D yJwe.49156$sg7.1030910@weber.videotron.net...
> > Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
> > very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
> > network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
> > inexpensive scanner.
> >

> > "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> >> third party sources?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Garci

Tapping into GSM is possible (the method has been published), but
sufficiently difficult that probably only top-secret government
organizations do it. Commercial secrets are probably safe. But the
other posters are right that part of your call undoubtedly goes through
the land telephone network, where it is just as secure or insecure as
any other telephone call.

If you want better security, you could try Skype (VoIP). Skype-to-Skype
calls are encrypted with an algorithm which is probably secure against
all but the same top-secret government organizations mentioned above.
Skype-to-regular-telephone of course has the same vulnerability as
other phone calls when it gets into the regular analog network.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:57:52 PM

Hello Garci wrote:
> No, I am not planning to do something illegal, I just want privacy. I have a
> lot of secret inventions that I talk about in my phone and I still have to
> patent them. Just being careful.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Garci
>
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote in
> message news:D yJwe.49156$sg7.1030910@weber.videotron.net...
> > Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
> > very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
> > network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
> > inexpensive scanner.
> >

> > "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> >> third party sources?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Garci

Tapping into GSM is possible (the method has been published), but
sufficiently difficult that probably only top-secret government
organizations do it. Commercial secrets are probably safe. But the
other posters are right that part of your call undoubtedly goes through
the land telephone network, where it is just as secure or insecure as
any other telephone call.

If you want better security, you could try Skype (VoIP). Skype-to-Skype
calls are encrypted with an algorithm which is probably secure against
all but the same top-secret government organizations mentioned above.
Skype-to-regular-telephone of course has the same vulnerability as
other phone calls when it gets into the regular analog network.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:14:48 PM

No, I am not planning to do something illegal, I just want privacy. I have a
lot of secret inventions that I talk about in my phone and I still have to
patent them. Just being careful.

Thanks for your answers.

Garci

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote in
message news:D yJwe.49156$sg7.1030910@weber.videotron.net...
> Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
> very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
> network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
> inexpensive scanner.
>

> "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
>> third party sources?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Garci

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:01:45 PM

?... I don't get it

DK

"lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message
> Hello Garci,
>
> Why do you want to know? Do you want to continue your cut conversation
> with your phone pal, the dwarf?
>
> Atty. Ong

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:11:47 PM

Why do people always draw to conclusions that when people want some privacy
they automatically think there's something illegal going on. It could just
as well be legitimate business people who want to protect their trade
secrets or regular people who want to have a personal and private
conversation. They DO exist you know!

On a side note, TDMA *IS* digital and GSM is based on TDMA and CDMA which
are both digital standards. What you are mentionning are Analogue ( AMPS )
connections. You can find scanners that can listen to those frequencies.

DK

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:10:41 -0400, "Harry Eugene Ly"
<consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote:

>Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but not
>very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
>network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a very
>inexpensive scanner.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:33:18 AM

Hi Lurker,

Huh???? This comment does not make sense.

RdR

"lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message
> Hello Garci,
>
> Why do you want to know? Do you want to continue your cut conversation
with
> your phone pal, the dwarf?
>
> Atty. Ong
>

> "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> > third party sources?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Garci

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:37:34 AM

That is interesting about Skype felixcct. So that means, skype goes
encrypted from point to point without going through a cebtral station
(assuming it is a skype to skype call)? If this is so, then this is really
more secure and harder to monitor even with expensive equipment.

Do you still have the link on how GSM is tapped? (Not that I want to tap
someone but more on being educated on how I can protect myself more from
being "tapped".

Thanks,

RdR

<felixcct@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello Garci wrote:
> > No, I am not planning to do something illegal, I just want privacy. I
have a
> > lot of secret inventions that I talk about in my phone and I still have
> > patent them. Just being careful.
> >
> > Thanks for your answers.
> >
> > Garci
> >
> > "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote
in
> > message news:D yJwe.49156$sg7.1030910@weber.videotron.net...
> > > Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but
not
> > > very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a
non-digital
> > > network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a
very
> > > inexpensive scanner.
> > >

> > > "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message

> Tapping into GSM is possible (the method has been published), but
> sufficiently difficult that probably only top-secret government
> organizations do it. Commercial secrets are probably safe. But the
> other posters are right that part of your call undoubtedly goes through
> the land telephone network, where it is just as secure or insecure as
> any other telephone call.
>
> If you want better security, you could try Skype (VoIP). Skype-to-Skype
> calls are encrypted with an algorithm which is probably secure against
> all but the same top-secret government organizations mentioned above.
> Skype-to-regular-telephone of course has the same vulnerability as
> other phone calls when it gets into the regular analog network.

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:53:03 AM

Thanks for the correction about TDMA and AMPS. My mistake. I just know that
at one point, it was possible to easedrop onto Rogers with a scanner.

"DK" <sendmeskata@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Why do people always draw to conclusions that when people want some
privacy
> they automatically think there's something illegal going on. It could just
> as well be legitimate business people who want to protect their trade
> secrets or regular people who want to have a personal and private
> conversation. They DO exist you know!
>
> On a side note, TDMA *IS* digital and GSM is based on TDMA and CDMA which
> are both digital standards. What you are mentionning are Analogue ( AMPS )
> connections. You can find scanners that can listen to those frequencies.
>
> DK
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:10:41 -0400, "Harry Eugene Ly"
> <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote:
>
> >Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but
not
> >very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
> >network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a
very
> >inexpensive scanner.

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:53:17 AM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D e38c1hbph201so4o412dceldjidm4b75h@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:10:41 -0400, "Harry Eugene Ly"
> <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote:
>
> >Why? Are you planning something illegal? Seriously, it is possible but
not
> >very easy... not like the days before when Rogers was using a non-digital
> >network (TDMA) and you could easily easedrop on calls by purchasing a
very
> >inexpensive scanner.
>
> *Newsflash!* So called "TDMA" which you probably mean IS-136 *is* a
> digital mobile standard. And just further for your information GSM
> *is* TDMA also. The only mobile communications that you can
> "easedrop" (look that one up in the dictionary!) on is analogue (AMPS
> in North America.)
>
> - -

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 1:58:36 AM

DK wrote:
> On a side note, TDMA *IS* digital and GSM is based on TDMA and CDMA which
> are both digital standards. What you are mentionning are Analogue ( AMPS )
> connections. You can find scanners that can listen to those frequencies.

It is better to say that both TDMA and GSM and based on tdma air
interface philosophy, which si different from the cdma air interface
philosophy used by the propritary CDMA systems.

Note that G3 GSM uses a cdma air interface. (same philosophy as CDMA,
but the proprietary CDMA owner (Qualcomm) made sure that its 3G CDMA
protocol was incompatible with the standard 3G GSM (UMTS)
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:42:15 PM

LOL! I think the original poster got it!

DK wrote:
> ?... I don't get it
>
> DK
>

> "lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message
> > Hello Garci,
> >
> > Why do you want to know? Do you want to continue your cut conversation
> > with your phone pal, the dwarf?
> >
> > Atty. Ong

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:44:39 PM

It does to Hello Garci. :-)

RdR wrote:
> Hi Lurker,
>
> Huh???? This comment does not make sense.
>
> RdR
>
> "lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message
> > Hello Garci,
> >
> > Why do you want to know? Do you want to continue your cut conversation
> with
> > your phone pal, the dwarf?
> >
> > Atty. Ong
> >

> > "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> > > third party sources?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Garci

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:30:46 PM

OK I give up, is there something you know we do not know?

I just cannot figure it out. Is this some sort of secret agent talk?

If this was a "coded message", it got a lot of people put in serious answers
to his/her question.

What does the cut conversation to a dwarf mean. I am trying to connect
tapping a fido phone with talking to a dwarf phone pal... I give up figuring
it out. Please shed some light if you can. Who is the dwarf phone pal is it
one of the smurfs, one of the seven...?

Garci, Lurker, 2004TL.NBP anyone?

RdR

"2004TL.NBP" <2004TL.NBP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It does to Hello Garci. :-)
>

> RdR wrote:
> > Hi Lurker,
> >
> > Huh???? This comment does not make sense.
> >
> > RdR
> >
> > "lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message
> > > Hello Garci,
> > >
> > > Why do you want to know? Do you want to continue your cut conversation
> > with
> > > your phone pal, the dwarf?
> > >
> > > Atty. Ong
> > >

> > > "Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:49:49 PM

Yes, Skype calls are encrypted end-to-end, using standard high-security
data encryption algorithms. You can read about it in their online
documentation.

Here's a good article link on GSM insecurity:
http://www.dia.unisa.it/professori/ads/corso-security/w...

The GSM cracking method I've seen discussed in several articles is
based on the fact that the central station keeps the same encryption
code for longer than it should, and it can be spoofed into repeating
the same comm-check message many times with only the time value
changing, allowing the receiver to determine the base encryption code.
This is typical of many supposedly-secure system developed by engineers
without the benefit of validation by professional cryptographers. They
make the front door impenetrable, but inadvertently leave the side
window open.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:12:56 AM

"Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> third party sources?

Not exactly the sort of answer you're looking for, but you might want to
avoid anyone who owns this phone...

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/index.php?act=S...

You never know when they might leave the room and listen to what you and
other people might be saying about them...
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:16:04 AM

"Paul Fedorenko" <pfedorenko@look.ca> wrote in message

> Not exactly the sort of answer you're looking for, but you might want to
> avoid anyone who owns this phone...

Sorry... that should be this phone...

http://wirelessimports.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=...

And the encryption used by GSM has been cracked at least once. There was a
time when the encryption keys used more zeros than were healthy. I think
that's been fixed since, though.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:17:03 AM

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei@teksavvy.com> wrote in message

> It is better to say that both TDMA and GSM and based on tdma air
> interface philosophy, which si different from the cdma air interface
> philosophy used by the propritary CDMA systems.

You mean IS-95, developed by Qualcomm?
July 2, 2005 2:37:39 AM

The original poster used the handle "Hello Garci". That phrase is somewhat
popular right now in the Philippines. Check out some recent days' news from
that country:
http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned=ca&q=%22hello+garc...

"RdR" <ron@delrosario.ca> wrote in message
> OK I give up, is there something you know we do not know?
>
> I just cannot figure it out. Is this some sort of secret agent talk?
>
> If this was a "coded message", it got a lot of people put in serious
> answers
> to his/her question.
>
> What does the cut conversation to a dwarf mean. I am trying to connect
> tapping a fido phone with talking to a dwarf phone pal... I give up
> figuring
> it out. Please shed some light if you can. Who is the dwarf phone pal is
> it
> one of the smurfs, one of the seven...?
>
> Garci, Lurker, 2004TL.NBP anyone?
>
> RdR
>
> "2004TL.NBP" <2004TL.NBP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It does to Hello Garci. :-)
>>

>> RdR wrote:
>> > Hi Lurker,
>> >
>> > Huh???? This comment does not make sense.
>> >
>> > RdR
>> >
>> > "lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message

>> > with

> taped by

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:24:59 AM

Hi Lurker,

I get it now. A ringtone from a wiretap !!! The original poster is very
creative based on the type of question he asked (interesting question
though) LOL!!! :)

Cheers.

RdR

> The original poster used the handle "Hello Garci". That phrase is somewhat
> popular right now in the Philippines. Check out some recent days' news
from
> that country:

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned=ca&q=%22hello+garc...

> "RdR" <ron@delrosario.ca> wrote in message
> > OK I give up, is there something you know we do not know?
> >
> > I just cannot figure it out. Is this some sort of secret agent talk?
> >
> > If this was a "coded message", it got a lot of people put in serious
> > answers
> > to his/her question.
> >
> > What does the cut conversation to a dwarf mean. I am trying to connect
> > tapping a fido phone with talking to a dwarf phone pal... I give up
> > figuring
> > it out. Please shed some light if you can. Who is the dwarf phone pal is
> > it
> > one of the smurfs, one of the seven...?
> >
> > Garci, Lurker, 2004TL.NBP anyone?
> >
> > RdR
> >
> > "2004TL.NBP" <2004TL.NBP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> It does to Hello Garci. :-)

> > taped by

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:33:16 AM

Thanks felixcct,

The documents you pointed to is very interesting.

> Yes, Skype calls are encrypted end-to-end, using standard high-security
> data encryption algorithms. You can read about it in their online
> documentation.
>
> Here's a good article link on GSM insecurity:

http://www.dia.unisa.it/professori/ads/corso-security/w...
ec/netsec.html

> The GSM cracking method I've seen discussed in several articles is
> based on the fact that the central station keeps the same encryption
> code for longer than it should, and it can be spoofed into repeating
> the same comm-check message many times with only the time value
> changing, allowing the receiver to determine the base encryption code.
> This is typical of many supposedly-secure system developed by engineers
> without the benefit of validation by professional cryptographers. They
> make the front door impenetrable, but inadvertently leave the side
> window open.

August 2, 2005 1:04:26 AM

cant really "Wire Tap" a "Cellular Phone"
anyone can listen in on ur convo's as long as they have a long range radio
and the tools to mod it.
"Hello Garci" <sell@elections.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows if Fido Phones are vulnerable to wiretapping or be taped by
> third party sources?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Garci

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:29:57 PM

Non, first they are digital so a radio won't be able to decode it and the
bits are encrypted anyway so it's almost impossible to listen.

tEzHe.2740$pH4.328640@news20.bellglobal.com...

!