Screen goes black after resolution change

Status
Not open for further replies.

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I have an Acer Aspire 7741z-4433 laptop. I recently re-installed Windows 7 and something odd has started happening. Whenever a program like a game makes the resolution change the screen goes black, I imagine to attempt to change, but it dosen't come back. It happens also on start-up, after the screen flickers it goes black. Finally it happens when one of those security warnings pops up, its not a common but it has happened before. If I close the screen, making the computer fall asleep, then turn it back on, the screen comes back on. This is very annoying when your playing games, please help.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Did you install of the proper drivers back?

Verify by going to start > right click computer > select manage > select device manager. See anything with a yellow ? report back your findings :).

(thinking driver because of the reinstall)

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I have installed the proper graphics driver, I am still missing the ethernet card driver, only because of the download size... but there is one device I didn't see last time. PCI Simple Communications Controller, there is not driver for that on the Acer website, I think, its hard t tell what is from my computer and what is for other models.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Ok i believe that is going to be the issue with your display. Go back to the acer website for your make/model and download the Chipset, Video, Audio, Network drivers for your laptop. If you have trouble finding them let me know and i'll see what i can dig up for that specific one.

MrTechnoShock

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Probably the resolution that the game is using exceeds the max supported resolution on the laptop, I've had and experience where I cranked up the resolution on a relatively small screen and it went blank......Hope this helps ;)

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
the lan driver is taking a while to download, I have installed both the most recent Intel based driver and the chipset drivers, still nothing

I use a driver finder to see what drivers it think I'm missing and it returned with AMD South Bridge Drivers missing... this is an intel system...

I should also say that it is not the hardware, after running Ubuntu for a few months on it this never happened

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

no the laptop has a resolution of 1600x900, most of the games are defaulting to 1280x720 (or something like that)

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Yup your right it's intel with intel hd graphics.
im %100 certain that PCI Simple Communications Controller is whats causing the issue. As tripledouce said that is what drives your graphics... aka causing the screen to go black. (the basic drivers that are built into windows only support low res basically there just to get you started).

Per acers site that is the page for downloading their drivers. I'd look at the list again see if there was any ones you should have that you missed. Maybe call acer and ask specifically which driver your lacking for that.

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
yea, Acer wouldn't help... which I guess I understand, but can i help it if I'm a little bitter about it

is there any sofware that can tell me with detail what the part it, something like CPUZ but can detect the PCI controller

Specy returned with this on the MOBO

Motherboard
Manufacturer Acer
Model JE70_CP (CPU 1)
Version V1.20
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 18
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM55
Southbridge Revision 05
System Temperature 43 °C
BIOS
Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version V1.20
Date 01/10/2011
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI Express Slot J6D2
Slot Number 0

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Bought Driver Genius Professional and let it find and install the drivers for me and what do you know it worked, that driver was been installed

it may have solved the screen going black problem, I don't know yet for i haven't had to change the resolution yet

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

That sucks Acer wouldn't help you (in the future just my opinion but acer is a horrible manufacturer) Sorry you had to buy a driver finder :/ have been out sick so haven't been on toms. Glad it got resolved thou.

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

I must agree with you, I bought the laptop as a referb when I really needed one and didn't have any money. It is relativity powerful, seems to be a good machine (much to my amazement). I have only heard horror about their laptops. I keep expecting it to break but it doesn't. I have always called them the Walmart brand of laptops.

As for the screen issue, that driver did help a lot, it still happens on occasion when I'm loading up an emulator but what can you do. Most of those things are clumsily thrown together anyway. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS