GeForce 2 MX versus GeForce 256 SDR

G

I'm upgrading the video card in my system. I currently run a 16MB Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee Blaster powered by 3dfx's Voodoo Banshee chipset.

My options are an Elsa Erazor X 32MB GeForce 256 SDR or for another 25-50 bucks, I can get a GeForce2 MX card like the Prophet II MX.

My system is a Thunderbird 1Gz with 128MB of RAM.

I'd appreciate any advice you have.

G

Either Geforce card will smoke what you're currently using, and give you pleasing results. The difference between the two is slight. If you are the sort to overclock, the mx will gain more of an advantage. This might make a meaningful difference at the very important 1024x768x32 resolution, particularly in the newest games now being released. The mx will obviously provide slightly better performance, but as both are viable options, the choice depends largely upon the exact price difference, and the size of your budget.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

Oh, by the way, I've had a duron@900 with Geforce256 break 4500 on 3dmark2000, an mx over 4700. With your athlon you can probably top 5000 with either one.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm citing on one reference, 3DMark2000. For Athlons at 1000 Mhz (or slower). The best scores for a Voodoo Banshee top out at about 1500 (just for reference). For Geforce256 SDR, Geforce 2 MX, and Geforce256 DDR, the scores are in the mid 5000's, the high 5000's to mid 6000's, and mid to high 6000's (one score reached 7022), respectively.

Note that many of those scores are probably obtained with BIOS tweaks and video card overclocking but it does give you a direct comparison for your Thunderbird class machine.

Based solely on the 3DMark 2000 results, the Geforce II MX is probably the best value since it performs in the middle of the 3 but costs the least. The other 2 are still pretty good considering their probable prices. If you have a 300 watt power supply I would consider the Geforce256 DDR for the best performance of the 3.

The best prices, according to www.streetprices.com, for retail versions are; an AOPEN Geforce 256 SDR - $129.95, an Asus Geforce 2 MX $102.95, a Leadtek Geforce 256 DDR - $152.95. OEM versions will certainly be cheaper but probably are not returnable should you encounter compatibility problems.

My card is a Visiontek Geforce256 SDR which I like very much but wish I had splurged and bought the DDR version. Still, I believe I can hold out until after the NV20s (Geforce 3s?) come out and drive the Geforce 2 Ultra cards down in price before I upgrade again.

Incidentally, I run a Duron@900 Mhz and score 4650 without overclocking my video card and 4850 with modest overclocking (which is where I keep it).

G

ALL THE ABOVE ARE WISE ADVICE BIT THE ONE THING YOU MUST TAKE INTO ACCOUNT IS WHAT CHIPSET IS YOUR MAIN BOARD.AS YOU MAY BE AWARE NVIDIA BASED GC ie MX AND GTS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALI AND VIA CHIPSETS.AS A SYSTEM ENGINNER I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS NOW AND STILL NO FURTHER ON THAN WHEN I FIRST STARTED.
INTEL CHIPSET BOARDS DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM AT ALL THE CARD WILL RUN AR X4 AGP AND WITH FAST PAGE MEMORY SWITCHED ON BUT ALI AND VIA HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS RUNNING THE 2 MENTIONED CARDS.
READ OTHER POSTINGS FIRST ABOUT THESE CARDS AND TRY TO GET THERE ADVICE IF POSS ON POSSIBLE SET UPS TO EASE THE PAIN OF A "ITS NOT WORKING PROPERLY" TECHNICAL CALL :)

MADASAFISH

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey wait!! Even cheaper all over price watch- anhialator pro (geforce 256ddr) 90 bucks or so. This is the one to get and the time to get it, out of the three choices anyway.
Oh and mjmcomupters- don't yell (all caps) it's rude.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

Deon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unlike the previous poster my caps-lock is not stuck in the "on" position. The only trouble with Geforce chips and Athlon systems is due to voltage requirements of the Geforce256 and the AMD 750 chipset not providing the power it needs. If you use the VIA 4in1 drivers you will likely not see an issue with stability. I have built several AMD Athlon and Duron systems over the last year and do not recall having any trouble. My current system is a TBird 850 on an ABIT KT7 and its rock solid. I use the Leadtek Geforce2 GTS 32mb DDR card. I scored 7002 in 3Dmark2000. I feal that the MX is a better buy due to the fact it's a second generation chip. Its smaller (die size) and runs cooler.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
GeForce2 Mx does run cooler and require less voltage than the geforce256ddr however, it does not perform as well, and the difference is actually enough to be noticable. But either of those two choices will be good choices.

G

I have a DFI AK47-EC with a KT133 chipset. I have installed the VIA 4in1 drivers that came on the CD with the MoBo.

Sounds like MX is the way to go.

Do you find these online resellers to be good places to buy or is it better to buy locally even if I spend more?

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
whatever you get- but online- pricewatch.com to find good deals and I'm gonna give one last recomendation for geforce 256ddr. Now I'll let it go. Don't buy local unless you get one hell of a deal.