i am new to xp and have broadband. Is it true you can use your computer to
make both local and international calls for free?

do a search for Skype

you'll need a mic for your PC

"cornontyne" <cornontyne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am new to xp and have broadband. Is it true you can use your computer to
> make both local and international calls for free?

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

"cornontyne" <cornontyne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am new to xp and have broadband. Is it true you can use your computer to
> make both local and international calls for free?

Hi there,
Yes you can make free calls locally and to the other side of the world. To
qualify that a little, free calls can only be made to people who also have
broadband or indeed dial-up although the quality is not as good with
dial-up. If you want to call a real telephone anywhere in the world that can
be done for the cost of a local call-that is to say if you call someone in
Greenland the cost will be whatever a local call is in Greenland-so local
doesn't mean local to you. You need a headset or a USB phone and they can be
bought for £25-£150 ($35-$200) depending on what features you need.
Alternatively there are adaptors that allow ordinary existing phones to be
connected to a PC. If you need to know more try http://www.skype.com It
works quite well -on my 2Mb line the quality is about the same as an ISDN
phone.

Chelsea