Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 11, 2010 8:52:50 AM

Hello there..
I have this particular problem that is bugging me a lot..
Whenever i install windows 7 64bit on my desktop, in the C drive a separate folder saying program files(x86) is created..
I just don't know what it is and how should i get rid of it because it is taking up unnecessary space on the drive..
Please help..
Thanks and regards to all..

:hello: 

More about : windows problem

a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2010 9:03:11 AM

This folder is for the installation of none 64 bit programs; therefore, it is a necessary Windows folder that should not be deleted. You will find programs like games, Microsoft apps, AV and Maleware programs installed in that directory.

I would consider it necessary space being used.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2010 9:24:10 AM

crypticcyborg said:
Hello there..
I have this particular problem that is bugging me a lot..
Whenever i install windows 7 64bit on my desktop, in the C drive a separate folder saying program files(x86) is created..
I just don't know what it is and how should i get rid of it because it is taking up unnecessary space on the drive..
Please help..
Thanks and regards to all..

:hello: 

Umm that is where all the programs that ARE NOT 64 bit are installed........and that is most of them. You delete that and it is time to reinstall Windows again so everything works right.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2010 10:01:20 AM

Thanks EMERALD and anort3..
You saved my ass.. Otherwise i would have to install everything again..
Guys can you also please tell me, that from where can i learn about operating systems in detail.. By detail i mean registry settings, user settings and all.. Please help me..
Thanks and regards..
m
l
July 11, 2010 1:04:39 PM

"user settings and all" you can find in any decent Win7 book.

The registry is a little different. Remember the medieval maps where at the borders of the water, you see the signs, "Here there be dragons"? The registry is a lot like that.

You can break a system mucking about the registry. Regedit is a lot like a disk editor in that respect. Be very careful.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2010 6:41:27 PM

Quote:
The registry is a little different. Remember the medieval maps where at the borders of the water, you see the signs, "Here there be dragons"? The registry is a lot like that.

:lol:  That is the best thing I have seen in a while jsc good one. It is also completely true !

crypticcyborg, several years ago I got a book for my parents titled "Windows XP for Dummies" .....I have not seen one for Windows 7 yet but I have not really looked. I would bet that it exists though. It was a perfect way to just learn the basics.

I also like the SevenForums from Microsoft. Pretty much any questions I have had I have been able to find either here or over there. It also has a tutorial section.

http://www.sevenforums.com/
m
l
July 12, 2010 6:19:47 AM

thanks to all.. Regards and best wishes..
m
l
!