Hello i have a registry problem. I own a pent 1 cicero comp with a oe xp home
installed. I powered off for five days and upon start-up the system could not
boot due to corrupt or missing file "windows\system32\config\system". I
attempted the f8 feature and most options listed which did not work. I was
unable to get the "repair" window. I did boot from my original oem xp cd and
the only option to work was install xp which i did.
Now i have 2 xps os installed with one working. I would still like to get my
original system working if possible. If not .... what is the best way to
transfer my old data to the functioning os? I can access the data from this
os. Is it possible to transfer software from one os to another within the
same comp?
As i only have one comp, i need this os to access the internet. I have also
purchaced registry mechanic but how do i get it to fix the old os as this is
the only os i can get into?
Can i manually go in and fix the original os registry files from this os?
I can't seem to get to a dos prompt either??
Thanks Thomas

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

I'm assuming the message really reads:

Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt

With this error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the
Recovery Console. Type:

cd system32\config [enter]
ren system system.old [enter]
ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
exit
post back if you need further assistance
--
Don Kendrick

"teedee" wrote:

> Hello i have a registry problem. I own a pent 1 cicero comp with a oe xp home
> installed. I powered off for five days and upon start-up the system could not
> boot due to corrupt or missing file "windows\system32\config\system". I
> attempted the f8 feature and most options listed which did not work. I was
> unable to get the "repair" window. I did boot from my original oem xp cd and
> the only option to work was install xp which i did.
> Now i have 2 xps os installed with one working. I would still like to get my
> original system working if possible. If not .... what is the best way to
> transfer my old data to the functioning os? I can access the data from this
> os. Is it possible to transfer software from one os to another within the
> same comp?
> As i only have one comp, i need this os to access the internet. I have also
> purchaced registry mechanic but how do i get it to fix the old os as this is
> the only os i can get into?
> Can i manually go in and fix the original os registry files from this os?
> I can't seem to get to a dos prompt either??
> Thanks Thomas

Thanks, yes your right the message was as you wrote. The problem is i was
unable to access the recovery console. As well the OE cd only allowed me to
install another OS which i did and am presently using. At present i am multi
booting which i don't care for as my memory is limited.
Is there a way of salvaging my old data and software and than wiping off my
old damaged OS?

"teedee" <teedee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello i have a registry problem. I own a pent 1 cicero comp with a oe
> xp home
> installed. I powered off for five days and upon start-up the system
> could not
> boot due to corrupt or missing file "windows\system32\config\system".
> attempted the f8 feature and most options listed which did not work. I
> was
> unable to get the "repair" window. I did boot from my original oem xp
> cd and
> the only option to work was install xp which i did.
> Now i have 2 xps os installed with one working. I would still like to
> get my
> original system working if possible. If not .... what is the best way
> transfer my old data to the functioning os? I can access the data from
> this
> os. Is it possible to transfer software from one os to another within
> the
> same comp?
> As i only have one comp, i need this os to access the internet. I have
> also
> purchaced registry mechanic but how do i get it to fix the old os as
> this is
> the only os i can get into?
> Can i manually go in and fix the original os registry files from this
> os?
> I can't seem to get to a dos prompt either??

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry [Q307545]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

--
William