ASUS AGP-V7700 problem - screen blanks during play

G

I just purchased an ASUS AGP-V7700 (Pure) GeForce2 GTS graphics card.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to get it to function properly. The card is detected and appears to work fine (The included SmartDoctor utility says it is OK), until I
actually try to play a Direct3D game. Once the game starts drawing 3D scenes, the screen goes blank, either immediately or within 1-5 minutes.
More specifically, the screen is not just black, but my monitor goes into power-save because there is no video signal at all.

SmartDoctor indicates (at least, on startup) that AGP power levels are ok and that there is no problem with overheating. I have never tried to overclock the card, although I used the tweak utility to -lower- the core and memory clock but that did not help either. I have not had any other problems with the card, and in the ten or so minutes I have seen it work, it appeared to be
functioning normally. Nothing else on my system is overclocked, and the system was running fine using my older TNT2 Ultra card.

I'm using an ABIT BH6 motherboard with the latest bios (Yeah I know, run an ASUS card in an ABIT board, maybe this is what you get)

G

I've had the same problem with my Ultra. I'm not sure if this is the cause or not, but I think it's my monitor. I have a 19" MagView VM900E. I previously had a Voodoo 5, and it worked great, but any GeForce card I've attempted to use will put my monitor into power save. This only happens while attempting to play a game. I think most games start out in 640*480 resolution, and that's what my monitor has a problem dealing with using the GeForce. To fix the problem, I went into the monitor settings and changed the refresh rate. I still get a crappy looking screen once in a while, but that's the best I've been able to do.

PIII 850
128 RAM
19" MagView
Creative GeForce 2 Ultra
SB X-Gamer
15 Gig HDD
DVD
Tyan Trinity 400 mobo

G

OK, check this post out from another site. Follow these directions, and you should be fine...

"OK!..first my ENGLISH is wery bed..but I think you will be able to understand me..
This is a Gforce2/MX REFRESH problem..I dont knowe why..but from some stupid reasone If the resolutions are below 1024x768 & in DISP.PROP. under ADAPTER the REFRESH rate is set to OPTIMAL (windows put this default)..the GFORCE hits the MINITOR MAXIMUM refresh rate & some time the MONITOR cant hadle this & goes OFF.

FOR EXEMP : you have your DESKTOP set to 1024x768 i.e 16 or 32bit & OPTIMAL refresh rate is set , the card put the MAX refresh rate wich I suppose is 100Hz & everythig is fine..

Now you start a game...the games has a default FIRST time resolution 640x480 or 800x600 now the refresh is still OPTIMAL & the refresh rate CHANGES with the resolution & the Vcard HIT a refresh of 150hz @640x480..now some monitores can handl this like my PHILIPS 107P10 but the picture is blurry & not sharp still it dosnt go OFF..

now..you should do this:

go into WINDOWS/ DISPLAY PROPERTIES /..change the resolution to 640x480..then go to ADAPTER..so you set ADAPTER DEFAULT but this is wrong because it sets a DEAFULT refresh rate 60Hz for all resolutions & you dont want that..NOW..set a FIXED refresh rate START with 85Hz APLY/OK..the resolution willl change to 640x480 with a new FIXED refresh of 85Hz

IF everything is FINE do the same thing with 800x600..make a FIXED refresh of 85hz..some times you must do this for 16 bit & 32 bit separatly..

In thre ADAPTERS refresh LIST you can see the refresh rates for current resolution :
looks like this:

resolution is 640x480

ADAPTER DEFAULT
OPTIMAL

the latest nummer is THE MAXIMUM scaned REFRESH & the monitor maybe cant handle it

Now when ever this resolutions are set by the games thy will have 85Hz refresh & you will see the picture

Iv noticed that when set to OPTIMAL the card sets wrong refreshs for lower resolutions but works fine with higher resoulutions from 1024x768 to above

I had this proby too but like I said before my monitor could handel it but it was on the far edge of the monitors abillity..so I chnage it to a fixed refreshs for each resolution & it looks like this:

640x480 =100hz FIXED (when OPTIMAL win set 155)
800x600 =100Hz FIXED (wehen OPTIMAL win set 140)
1024x568=OPTIMAL (100Hz)

1280x1024=OPTIMAL (85Hz)

BEFORE any changes if you didnt put first ADAPTER DEFAULT refreh rate wich will be 60hz fixed for all resolutions then you can go thru each resolution to set the right refresh rate..you have to do it just one time but if you REINSTALL the DRIVERS then you have to do it again

good luck!"

G

I really appreciate the help. I tried the suggestions, but there was no change in the problem. I'm returning the card since I believe the problem is that either the video signal goes down, or the refresh rate becomes dangerously high. Either way as far as I'm concerned, the product is defective :p

G

Well what do you know... it seems that perhaps the ASUS V7700 is not the most compatible of cards. There are quite a number of people working out their difficulties with this card, and one person who was having the exact same problem as me was ALSO using the card in a BH6. He "Fixed" the problem by setting "AGP Aperture Size" in the Bios to 16M from its default of 64M. I've heard that this cripples AGP performance, though. I tried it and it seems to work. After putting the card back in the box 5 times, and even getting an RMA for it, this may be the answer. So since a replacement card most likely will not help me, I've gone and ordered a Duron and a new MB

Oewyn

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
have you Tried flashing the most recient bios??? that usually fixes alot of probs. similar thing happened to me, and after flashing the most recient version, all is good. for a temp fix, change from optimal (AGP 4x) to normal (agp 2x) this usually fixes that prob, at least, temperarily(i know i can't spell)