Help and Support Error

After my desktop is loaded I get a Help and Support Error message;
Windows cannot opn help and supprot because a system service is not running.
To fix this problem start the service named 'Help and Support'. I have gone
through Microsoft support and they couldn't figure out how to correct this.
Any ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about help support error

    Try this.

    Open Services...
    Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    Scroll down to and double click Help and Support |
    Set to Automatic under Startup type | Click the Apply button |
    Click the Start button | Click OK | When the Help and Support service is
    started close Services

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BE1945C6-587C-4A3C-80CC-EC0BA69E1FCF@microsoft.com,
    rmoore456 <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > After my desktop is loaded I get a Help and Support Error message;
    > Windows cannot opn help and supprot because a system service is not
    > running. To fix this problem start the service named 'Help and Support'.
    > I have gone through Microsoft support and they couldn't figure out how to
    > correct this. Any ideas?

    There is no Help and Support in services.msc.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Try this.
    >
    > Open Services...
    > Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    > Scroll down to and double click Help and Support |
    > Set to Automatic under Startup type | Click the Apply button |
    > Click the Start button | Click OK | When the Help and Support service is
    > started close Services
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:BE1945C6-587C-4A3C-80CC-EC0BA69E1FCF@microsoft.com,
    > rmoore456 <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > After my desktop is loaded I get a Help and Support Error message;
    > > Windows cannot opn help and supprot because a system service is not
    > > running. To fix this problem start the service named 'Help and Support'.
    > > I have gone through Microsoft support and they couldn't figure out how to
    > > correct this. Any ideas?

    "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm

    Near the bottom of the page there is a fix for the missing Help and
    Support in Services.

    [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]

    --
    William

    "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There is no Help and Support in services.msc.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this.
    >>
    >> Open Services...
    >> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    >> Scroll down to and double click Help and Support |
    >> Set to Automatic under Startup type | Click the Apply button |
    >> Click the Start button | Click OK | When the Help and Support service
    >> is
    >> started close Services
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:BE1945C6-587C-4A3C-80CC-EC0BA69E1FCF@microsoft.com,
    >> rmoore456 <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > After my desktop is loaded I get a Help and Support Error message;
    >> > Windows cannot opn help and supprot because a system service is not
    >> > running. To fix this problem start the service named 'Help and
    >> > Support'.
    >> > I have gone through Microsoft support and they couldn't figure out
    >> > how to
    >> > correct this. Any ideas?

    Did the fix and didn't work. Still get the error message on startup. Help an
    Support is listed in services.msc as enabled and aotomatic on startup. When I
    click the start in the left pane I get this error message;
    Could not start Help and Support service on local computer.
    Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in
    does not implement the service.

    "WTC" wrote:

    > "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >
    > Near the bottom of the page there is a fix for the missing Help and
    > Support in Services.
    >
    > [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
    >
    > --
    > William
    >
    > "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > There is no Help and Support in services.msc.
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try this.
    > >>
    > >> Open Services...
    > >> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    > >> Scroll down to and double click Help and Support |
    > >> Set to Automatic under Startup type | Click the Apply button |
    > >> Click the Start button | Click OK | When the Help and Support service
    > >> is
    > >> started close Services
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:BE1945C6-587C-4A3C-80CC-EC0BA69E1FCF@microsoft.com,
    > >> rmoore456 <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Try re-installing Help and Support.
    First uncheck the Hide extensions in the Folders Options in the Control
    Panel. Then in the Run dialog box, type

    inf

    This will bring up the hidden inf folder in the system directory. Locate
    the "pchealth.inf" file and right click it and select install. Make sure
    you have your CD. You may have to slipstream our CD to the current
    Service pack.

    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    --

    > Did the fix and didn't work. Still get the error message on startup.
    > Help an
    > Support is listed in services.msc as enabled and aotomatic on startup.
    > When I
    > click the start in the left pane I get this error message;
    > Could not start Help and Support service on local computer.
    > Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to
    > run in
    > does not implement the service.
    >
    > "WTC" wrote:
    >
    >> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >>
    >> Near the bottom of the page there is a fix for the missing Help and
    >> Support in Services.
    >>
    >> [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
    >>
    >> --
    >> William
    >>
    >> "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > There is no Help and Support in services.msc.

    I don't have a solution for this problem, but working on this issue. Can you
    export this key and post the info here (or attach the file)

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc

    To export the key, type this in Start/Run dialog:

    cmd /c reg export "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc"
    c:\helpexp.txt

    Then, run this command:
    cmd /c sc qc helpsvc >c:\helpinfo.txt

    Then, open the Event Viewer.

    Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    Select System entry in the left pane
    In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X

    Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
    in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
    event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post the information
    here.

    Include the following in your reply:

    1 - c:\helpinfo.txt
    2 - c:\helpexp.txt
    3 - Event Log information

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did the fix and didn't work. Still get the error message on startup. Help
    > an
    > Support is listed in services.msc as enabled and aotomatic on startup.
    > When I
    > click the start in the left pane I get this error message;
    > Could not start Help and Support service on local computer.
    > Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
    > in
    > does not implement the service.
    >
    > "WTC" wrote:
    >
    >> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >>
    >> Near the bottom of the page there is a fix for the missing Help and
    >> Support in Services.
    >>
    >> [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
    >>
    >> --
    >> William
    >>
    >> "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > There is no Help and Support in services.msc.

    Never mind. The following information might help:

    When you attempt to start the Help and Support Service using the
    Services.msc applet, one or more of the following error may be displayed:

    Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

    Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    Error 1803: The executable program that this service is configured to run in
    does not implement the service

    This may happen due to missing or incorrect registry values for the Help and
    Support Service (Helpsvc).

    More Information:
    Resolve the Help and Support Service startup failures:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvcfix.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    >I don't have a solution for this problem, but working on this issue. Can
    >you export this key and post the info here (or attach the file)
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc
    >
    > To export the key, type this in Start/Run dialog:
    >
    > cmd /c reg export "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc"
    > c:\helpexp.txt
    >
    > Then, run this command:
    > cmd /c sc qc helpsvc >c:\helpinfo.txt
    >
    > Then, open the Event Viewer.
    >
    > Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    > Select System entry in the left pane
    > In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
    >
    > Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    > occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more
    > information in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and
    > copy the whole event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post
    > the information here.
    >
    > Include the following in your reply:
    >
    > 1 - c:\helpinfo.txt
    > 2 - c:\helpexp.txt
    > 3 - Event Log information
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Did the fix and didn't work. Still get the error message on startup. Help
    >> an
    >> Support is listed in services.msc as enabled and aotomatic on startup.
    >> When I
    >> click the start in the left pane I get this error message;
    >> Could not start Help and Support service on local computer.
    >> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
    >> in
    >> does not implement the service.
    >>
    >> "WTC" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >>>
    >>> Near the bottom of the page there is a fix for the missing Help and
    >>> Support in Services.
    >>>
    >>> [Courtesy of Ramesh Srinivasan, MVP]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> William
    >>>
    >>> "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thanks Ramesh that did the trick. Now if I could solve the My Documents
    opening on startup.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Never mind. The following information might help:
    >
    > When you attempt to start the Help and Support Service using the
    > Services.msc applet, one or more of the following error may be displayed:
    >
    > Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    > Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    > Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    > Error 1803: The executable program that this service is configured to run in
    > does not implement the service
    >
    > This may happen due to missing or incorrect registry values for the Help and
    > Support Service (Helpsvc).
    >

    > More Information:
    > Resolve the Help and Support Service startup failures:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvcfix.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >I don't have a solution for this problem, but working on this issue. Can
    > >you export this key and post the info here (or attach the file)
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc
    > >
    > > To export the key, type this in Start/Run dialog:
    > >
    > > cmd /c reg export "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc"
    > > c:\helpexp.txt
    > >
    > > Then, run this command:
    > > cmd /c sc qc helpsvc >c:\helpinfo.txt
    > >
    > > Then, open the Event Viewer.
    > >
    > > Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    > > Select System entry in the left pane
    > > In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
    > >
    > > Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    > > occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more
    > > information in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and
    > > copy the whole event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it. Post
    > > the information here.
    > >
    > > Include the following in your reply:
    > >
    > > 1 - c:\helpinfo.txt
    > > 2 - c:\helpexp.txt
    > > 3 - Event Log information
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "rmoore456" <rmoore456@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Did the fix and didn't work. Still get the error message on startup. Help
    > >> an
    > >> Support is listed in services.msc as enabled and aotomatic on startup.
    > >> When I
    > >> click the start in the left pane I get this error message;
    > >> Could not start Help and Support service on local computer.
    > >> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
    > >> in
    > >> does not implement the service.

    Excellent! For the My Documents issue, This is most likely caused by
    incorrect Userinit value (duplicated). On a test system, after installing
    SP2, the userinit value was duplicated (appending to the existing data)

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.e­xe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\userini­t.exe,

    RESOLUTION:

    From previous newsgroup post by Doug Knox:

    <quote>
    Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win­dows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    Look in the right pane for a value called Userinit. Its value should read:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.e­xe,

    Including the trailing comma. If it reads anything else, double click the
    Userinit value and change it. This assumes that XP is installed on
    C:\Windows. If not, adjust the command line accordingly.

    </quote>

    If that does not help, see what startup applications are running. Get the
    Autoruns utility (as they call "superset of MSConfig") from
    www.sysinternals.com and inspect the startup programs.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Thanks Ramesh that did the trick. Now if I could solve the My Documents
    > opening on startup.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Never mind. The following information might help:
    >>
    >> When you attempt to start the Help and Support Service using the
    >> Services.msc applet, one or more of the following error may be displayed:
    >>
    >> Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    >> Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >> Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    >> Error 1803: The executable program that this service is configured to run
    >> in
    >> does not implement the service
    >>
    >> This may happen due to missing or incorrect registry values for the Help
    >> and
    >> Support Service (Helpsvc).
    >>

    >> More Information:
    >> Resolve the Help and Support Service startup failures:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvcfix.htm

Support Microsoft Error Message Windows XP