WiFi & Win2K connection difficulties

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 2, 2004 6:22:57 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 that has a fresh install of
Windows 2000 (incl. Srv. Pack 4) on it. I downloaded all the drivers
from the Toshiba web site. In the Control Panel -> Network and
Dial-up Connections, I see a connection for the built-in Ethernet port
and a second one for the built-in 802.11b adaptor. No matter what I
do, I can't get the 802.11 connection to work.

I have turned on the switch on the side of the laptop to enable the
802.11b card (the LED comes on). The Toshiba (actually Lucent or
Agere) Client Manager software has been configured to match the SSID
of our access point. The Client Manager software shows that it is
receiving a maximum strength signal from our access point, and has the
right channel number and SSID. WEP and WPA are not being used.

I thought the problem might be that the access point was set to
disable broadcasting the SSID. However, I enabled SSID broadcasts and
it did not fix the problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

- Steve
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 6:43:19 PM

Steve Hull <news.REMOVE_TO_REPLY@steve-hull.com> wrote in

> I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 that has a fresh install of
> Windows 2000 (incl. Srv. Pack 4) on it. I downloaded all the drivers
> from the Toshiba web site. In the Control Panel -> Network and
> Dial-up Connections, I see a connection for the built-in Ethernet port
> and a second one for the built-in 802.11b adaptor. No matter what I
> do, I can't get the 802.11 connection to work.
>
> I have turned on the switch on the side of the laptop to enable the
> 802.11b card (the LED comes on). The Toshiba (actually Lucent or
> Agere) Client Manager software has been configured to match the SSID
> of our access point. The Client Manager software shows that it is
> receiving a maximum strength signal from our access point, and has the
> right channel number and SSID. WEP and WPA are not being used.
>
> I thought the problem might be that the access point was set to
> disable broadcasting the SSID. However, I enabled SSID broadcasts and
> it did not fix the problem.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.

Is the machine getting an IP that's going to allow it to access the
Internet? If the IP starts with 169, then it may be a sign that the
machine is having trouble getting an IP from the DHCP server and may be
do to some kind of mis-configuration of the NIC.

Duane :)
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 3:09:26 AM

Steve Hull <news.REMOVE_TO_REPLY@steve-hull.com> wrote in
news:o 4ca9050rr4rgjnf1kktpqthaftkjnaijg@4ax.com:

> The machine is at work, I'll try your suggestion Monday morning.
>
> If that doesn't work, I think I'll also try uninstalling both network
> adaptors and reinstalling only the WiFi card.
>
> Thanks,,

If neither NIC can get a IP, then it may call for the reset of the TCP/IP
Stack on the O/S. The information can be obtained by using Google.

Duane :)
!