Can't Disable system restore

hi,

i am trying to remove a virus that keeps getting restored from the system
restore backup files. when i go to disable the system restore feature it
says "disabled by group policy" i did an internet search and found out that
the group policy editor that is used to take that message away is not
included on windows xp home edition (i have the home version) so i dont have
any idea how to disable system restore. can anyone help me? i am running
windows xp home edition sp2

Hi Jose,

Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.

Navigate to the following registry Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
NT\SystemRestore

In the right pane, right click on each of these Value Keys and select
delete.

"DisableSR"
"DisableConfig"

Close Regedit. Right click on My Computer and select the System
Restore tab to disable System Restore.
How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

JOSE RIVERA wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am trying to remove a virus that keeps getting restored
> from the system restore backup files. when i go to
> disable the system restore feature it says "disabled by
> group policy" i did an internet search and found out that
> the group policy editor that is used to take that message
> away is not included on windows xp home edition (i have
> the home version) so i dont have any idea how to disable
> system restore. can anyone help me? i am running windows
> xp home edition sp2

thank you so much for you help Bert. i disabled the system restore and am
currently scanning for viruses. hopefully i can remove it. once again thank
you - Jose

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Jose,
>
> Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.
>
> Navigate to the following registry Key.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
>
> In the right pane, right click on each of these Value Keys and select
> delete.
>
> "DisableSR"
> "DisableConfig"
>
> Close Regedit. Right click on My Computer and select the System Restore
> tab to disable System Restore.
> How to Disable and Enable System Restore
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> JOSE RIVERA wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i am trying to remove a virus that keeps getting restored
>> from the system restore backup files. when i go to
>> disable the system restore feature it says "disabled by
>> group policy" i did an internet search and found out that
>> the group policy editor that is used to take that message
>> away is not included on windows xp home edition (i have
>> the home version) so i dont have any idea how to disable
>> system restore. can anyone help me? i am running windows
>> xp home edition sp2

You're welcome Jose.