Source: Jobs Focusing Completely on New Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone really care? An Apple UMPC won't do well considering the price and the fact that Windows 7 is damn near perfect for one and is a full OS, not a revamped iPhone OS. Moving on...

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]Does anyone really care? [/citation]

I bet you Microsoft cares. Snow Leopard comes out Friday, and Apple is expected to ship 5 million for the remainder of the quarter...that is over $100,000,000 in profits from selling a $29 OS. How will MS answer? Will Win7 be enough? We shall see.

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]...that is over $100,000,000 in profits from selling a $29 OS. [/citation]

Incorrect. That's over $100,000,000 revenue. Apple has costs, too, you know.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Steve jobs will leave the tablet to his engineers while he sits on his desk contemplating on how much he should milks the consumers with apple tax.

petitero666

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]Does anyone really care? An Apple UMPC won't do well considering the price and the fact that Windows 7 is damn near perfect for one and is a full OS, not a revamped iPhone OS. Moving on...[/citation]

The thing is, it has to be OSX in full, not the iPhone version.

Not an Apple fan, but will like the concept of the tablet for sure.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]I bet you Microsoft cares. Snow Leopard comes out Friday, and Apple is expected to ship 5 million for the remainder of the quarter...that is over $100,000,000 in profits from selling a $29 OS. How will MS answer? Will Win7 be enough? We shall see.[/citation]
While I agree with you somewhat... Microsoft's 90% world OS share isn't going to crumble from Snow Leopard. I fully anticipate Win 7 being the OS of choice... as usual.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]petitero666[/nom]The thing is, it has to be OSX in full, not the iPhone version.Not an Apple fan, but will like the concept of the tablet for sure.[/citation]

The rumors have it as a bastard child of the iPhone OS and OS X. The UMPC market's main problem is that these neat tweener devices cost too damn much. Apple is walking in the wrong direction. Companies like Viliv, Aigo, and Archos are going in the right direction. Full PCs in a small form factor for a respectable price and all of them will be using Windows 7 which has built in touch controls.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
TabletPC? Hello, anyone?
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]The sad thing is many (if not the majority) of people are going to think that Apple was the first with such a device.[/citation]
Agreed, people will be praising Apple for its ingenuity by turning a "writing tablet into a full-fledged computer", ignoring the fact that Microsoft tried to spur the very same market over 5 years ago.

The question won't be about the hardware (moderately powered, overpriced), but what changes were made to the OS to properly support tablet-driven input. The iPhone OS works purely on touchscreen, but unless we're going to see that sub-$500 POS computer Steve Jobs promised us, Apple's tablet better have full OSX support. No one needs a 8+inch iPhone.

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]I bet you Microsoft cares. Snow Leopard comes out Friday, and Apple is expected to ship 5 million for the remainder of the quarter...that is over $100,000,000 in profits from selling a $29 OS. How will MS answer? Will Win7 be enough? We shall see.[/citation]
I bet that Win7 will sell in higher volumes, despite the higher price. No matter how much apple fans like to think otherwise, Windows's 90% marketshare is not going to vanish just because Apple releases yet another tweak to OSX.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Why would they even bother?? It is gonna have terrible specs and be over priced, just like all other Apple products....

Besides, if people want tablets... they just buy HP's Consumer or Business series tablets... they are the best on the market.

G

@cabose369

Remember the iPhone? People made predictions that it would never take off but it's become majorly popular. I wouldn't be surprised if this tablet is such a hit that it displaces those HP tablets you spoke of. And know I'm no Apple fan. I own a 4 GB first gen nano and that's it. I actually don't like Apple very much lately with their shady tactics and over-priced under-speced junk.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
If the tablet has a slide out keyboard instead of a twisting screen it may be good, the hinges on the twisting ones are the weak spot and I dont fancy the chances of the iClaymore.

If they remove the keyboard and have touchscreen only so it looks like those PADS they use on Star Trek it will be good too.

Thing is, does Snow Leopard have a multi-touch interface the same way Windows Tablet or Windows 7 does?

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
"all staff members working on the device were under a lot of pressure from Jobs, especially when it came to advertising and marketing."

Why not product development? More effort should not be spent hyping the product. More effort should be spent preventing it from a-sploding into the faces of those poor folks in France. Poor souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.