locpacks help

July 8, 2005 9:59:08 PM

Sharon F Wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 05:48:45 +0000, Helpmeplease wrote:
> -
> Well people... Simply a matter of idiocy and being careless... Was
> havin
> problems with a file i wanted to delete, soooooo... I go to regedit
> and
> search for this file and delete every damned thing that had to do
> with
> it, after about 30 minutes or so through, it stopped at a file i had
> just deleted, i knew i shouldnt have but i was just so used to
> deleting. Apparently this file was called LocPacks.cab in
> C/Windows/Installer directory, does anybody know how i can retrieve
> this file? Any help would be nice, please do not tell me im screwed
> and
> have to reinstall my operating system ;) -
>
> Deletions made from the registry, remove references to files. They do
> not
> remove the file that is being referred to. Deletions are a one way
> ticket
> unless you've manually backed up the key (export) before deleting,
> it's
> gone. However, System Restore could be used to reinstate an earlier
> version
> of the registry. Choose a date/time that precedes the registry
> editing.
>
> If the file does not exist on the hard drive, it was probably removed
> when
> the program it belonged to was uninstalled. Reinstall the program that
> added it to the system. Have no idea what program that might be. Games
> often have locpack files but they are not the only programs to use
> them.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank ya for your help, guess what i found... I found what i believe to
be a winRAR file with every locpack thingy i deleted, now im only 14 and
more computer literate than most, but frankly, i have no idea where to
put them, hate to ask ya for more help but uhhh, i need it

--
Helpmeplease

More about : locpacks

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:15:25 AM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:59:08 +0000, Helpmeplease wrote:

> Thank ya for your help, guess what i found... I found what i believe to
> be a winRAR file with every locpack thingy i deleted, now im only 14 and
> more computer literate than most, but frankly, i have no idea where to
> put them, hate to ask ya for more help but uhhh, i need it

I'm glad that you found it. Where should the file go? Hmmm, don't know.
It's not a standard Windows file so there's no "right" place except for
where the program (or programs) that use the file will be looking for it.
Example, is a link to a gaming forum talking about a particular locpack:
http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=84139

Can you tell from the name of the winrar file what it belongs to?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User