Laptop hangs on classpnp.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDUBS

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012
Hello,

I have a fairly new laptop (only about 2 years old). I don't do any gaming on it, just normal internet browsing and things with Open Office, etc. But recently I've had to do some things that required me to go into Safe Mode to look at some stuff, and I noticed whenever I boot into Safe Mode, it hangs (sticks/stays at) "classpnp.sys" for a while, then continues to load.

Recently I've noticed my laptop is running fairly kind of slow too. I don't know if that could cause the performance to decrease, but it sort of has. I am running a Compaq Presario CQ57 Laptop with 2 GB of RAM & Windows 7 Professional. Also, I was reading up about the issue and people were saying "use a Windows 7 Recovery Disk," I do not have one - only an install disk.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
It's normal to hang for a bit when loading the Safe Mode. As long as it gets to the desktop you're fine.
Slow running can be a symptom for a variety of issues. Use an antivirus program to ensure the system is clean that way. Run it several times in Safe Mode. Run a disk checker for bad sectors (from a command window launch chkdsk x: /f/r, where x is the OS disk/partition). LEt it run it's full course.
Run a defragmenter a few times (if this is an HDD, not an SSD). Also, run a disk cleanup (from HDD's properties/utilities).
Hit us back after you've done all that and let us know.
It's normal to hang for a bit when loading the Safe Mode. As long as it gets to the desktop you're fine.
Slow running can be a symptom for a variety of issues. Use an antivirus program to ensure the system is clean that way. Run it several times in Safe Mode. Run a disk checker for bad sectors (from a command window launch chkdsk x: /f/r, where x is the OS disk/partition). LEt it run it's full course.
Run a defragmenter a few times (if this is an HDD, not an SSD). Also, run a disk cleanup (from HDD's properties/utilities).
Hit us back after you've done all that and let us know.

Solution

TDUBS

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks for the prompt reply. Glad to see it's nothing abnormal. I am a computer guru so I make sure I run the proper scanning procedures daily, but I'll be sure to run chkdsk and reply back with results later.

Status
Not open for further replies.