Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which of these laptop to buy

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 6, 2012 12:22:38 PM

Hello,

I am looking to buy a laptop. terribly confused.

First I looked at samsung np550p5c s02in. its a great laptop at better price. but then I read somewhere about noise and temp issues, and also its built from cheap components and wont last long.

Second I looked at a Dell Inspiron 15r Turbo : ivybrige, 8GB ram and 2GB graphics @ 60k

Then I saw a HP DV6-7040TX.

Then someone says get a lenovo ThinkPad.

damn so confusing and thats a lot of hard earned money. so want to be sure. What to buy? Samsung one did seem the best choice? are there really those issues? please guide? whats the best with that amount of money I can get?

My req : I am a software developer, and I am always having varrious IDE`s, servers , photoshop etc running simultaneously. I am a casual gamer too and watch movies and listen songs.

More about : laptop buy

a b D Laptop
December 6, 2012 12:50:31 PM

mukulgoel said:
Hello,

I am looking to buy a laptop. terribly confused.

First I looked at samsung np550p5c s02in. its a great laptop at better price. but then I read somewhere about noise and temp issues, and also its built from cheap components and wont last long.

Second I looked at a Dell Inspiron 15r Turbo : ivybrige, 8GB ram and 2GB graphics @ 60k

Then I saw a HP DV6-7040TX.

Then someone says get a lenovo ThinkPad.

damn so confusing and thats a lot of hard earned money. so want to be sure. What to buy? Samsung one did seem the best choice? are there really those issues? please guide? whats the best with that amount of money I can get?

My req : I am a software developer, and I am always having varrious IDE`s, servers , photoshop etc running simultaneously. I am a casual gamer too and watch movies and listen songs.


I'm sure someone familiar with these lappies will chip in sooner or later. All I have to suggest is that between the Samsung, Dell, HP and Lenovo, I have heard of nothing but terrible service from Samsung and Dell. HP *used* to have a lot of reliability issues (pretty much bottom of the barrel). I would suggest you look at Lenovo and ASUS.

If you put forth a budget you can estimate, you should get a bit more responses with suggestions.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 1:26:06 PM

Give us a budget, and we will help you to the best of our ability.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 7, 2012 11:58:23 AM

@max_power , @ Kiowa789 Thanks for your reply.

My budget is around INR 60K.

I went today to Nehru Place, to get invoices of some models.

Samsung NP550P5C so3IN : 57000
Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo : 64000
Lenovo ideaPad Z580 59-339356 : 59000

what Out of the above ? or anything better you can suggest?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2012 1:44:39 PM

mukulgoel said:
@max_power , @ Kiowa789 Thanks for your reply.

My budget is around INR 60K.

I went today to Nehru Place, to get invoices of some models.

Samsung NP550P5C so3IN : 57000
Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo : 64000
Lenovo ideaPad Z580 59-339356 : 59000

what Out of the above ? or anything better you can suggest?


Hmm, I checked up all three options, and closest models in that range indicates very high CPU temperatures with CPU throttling for the Dell and Lenovo, the Samsung wasn't great either.

Are there any other brands out there where you live ?
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 4:28:50 AM

I live in New Delhi, and I think I can get any popular brand, to list the general ones : dell,sony,lenovo,hp,asus,acer,samsung,toshiba,apple .

just to add more info :

See, I wont be doing hardcore gaming on a laptop, got a PS3 for that. little casual gaming, and mostly development with multiple IDE`s and servers running in parallel. So i guess i wont be taking any of those machines to the point where they start showing those critical high temperatures.

How about ASUS by the way? recently been hearing good buzz about it"??
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 8:09:15 AM

mukulgoel said:
@max_power , @ Kiowa789 Thanks for your reply.

My budget is around INR 60K.

I went today to Nehru Place, to get invoices of some models.

Samsung NP550P5C so3IN : 57000
Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo : 64000
Lenovo ideaPad Z580 59-339356 : 59000

what Out of the above ? or anything better you can suggest?


I just want to point out, my sister has a Dell Laptop (Old one with C2D) and it broke many times but it always got fixed and Dell support is good but Dell can be overpriced.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2012 12:23:55 PM

mukulgoel said:
I live in New Delhi, and I think I can get any popular brand, to list the general ones : dell,sony,lenovo,hp,asus,acer,samsung,toshiba,apple .

just to add more info :

See, I wont be doing hardcore gaming on a laptop, got a PS3 for that. little casual gaming, and mostly development with multiple IDE`s and servers running in parallel. So i guess i wont be taking any of those machines to the point where they start showing those critical high temperatures.

How about ASUS by the way? recently been hearing good buzz about it"??


Same here. I have been hearing a lot of good things about ASUS (design, engineering mostly, NOT support).

I was going to suggest something ASUS based. Can you list a few options available to you by ASUS ? Something with an Ivy Bridge (3rd generation Core i-series) with an HD 4000 series graphics iGPU would likely work for you.
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 1:18:45 PM

I wouldn't say I know much, but from what I've heard/gathered, HP and Toshiba are built with cheap parts to fail. Aka cheaper quality diodes or what not electrical parts on the motherboards ect. I work in a government office, and HP has the current contract for Computers. How do you win the contract? Undersell the competition. How do you afford cheaper hardware? Cheap on the components.
I also think this is why there are so many HP's pushed through Best Buy.. they sell low.. . which to me means undercutting in quality parts, diodes ect. I think HP runs great when they're new, but I just feel they fail sooner. Ideally, you replace your PC when it's components will no longer run the programs you want it to, or you feel you want faster performance.. and NOT when some piece fails and you have to re-buy something it came with.

I used to have an Acer laptop that was a complete surprise as a Christmas gift. I remember it working decently, I think I may have used it for Diablo and Sims 2. After having it for about 2 years, I remember plugin in a very basic USB mp3 player directly into the pc, one I'd used many times before, and the entire PC instantly fried. So I'm not sure I'd go with Acer again sadly.

I also stay away from Dell, as every one I've seen has had serious LCD chassis issues, ie the 5 personal Dell laptops I've seen over 1.5 years old have cracked somewhere in the LDC frame, including my mothers two "replacement" pieces. My current laptop is a Dell passed down to me from my grandmother.. it's about 4 years old I think. The hinges gave out on one side, and the screen holder would have fallen apart long ago, except my grandfather literally drilled through the plastic, and BOLTED the LCD screen together. SO it's useable, and otherwise has lasted well. But based on their history of faulty screens, I won't touch another one until I've seen a history of dependable screens.

From various things I've read/heard/info osmosis.. I feel that ASUS is a trustworthy maker, MSI if you can afford it, and some people seem to recommend Lenovo.

Anyway, that's about all I have...
m
0
l
!