What could be wrong with my USB ports?

I have two USB ports on my Dell Inspiron m700 laptop. One is 2.0, the other
is 1.1. The worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now whenever I plug in a
device (Palm, Ipod, Camera, Video camera), I get the new hardware wizard,
then USB Device not Recognized - there is a problem with the USB device... .
After that, if I plug in the same device the hardware wizard doesn't run,
but the device is not recognized. It shows up in Device manager as the
default USB device, so I can't update the correct driver.

Dell says it's a software problem, and they had me reinstall Windows XP and
revert the laptop to factory settings. That didn't help.

I ran the full diagnostic on the machine, and it does not recognize an error
on the ports.

My question: If this is a software problem, wouldn't reverting to factory
settings fix it, if the problem only recently surfaced?

If it's a hardware problem, why didn't it show up in the full diagnostics?
1 answer Last reply
More about what wrong ports

    Ah. Found the answer. The Host controller needed to have a check mark in the
    advanced tab "Don't tell me about USB errors"

    "Elby" <lc45w9f02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >I have two USB ports on my Dell Inspiron m700 laptop. One is 2.0, the other
    >is 1.1. The worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now whenever I plug in a
    >device (Palm, Ipod, Camera, Video camera), I get the new hardware wizard,
    >then USB Device not Recognized - there is a problem with the USB device...
    >. After that, if I plug in the same device the hardware wizard doesn't run,
    >but the device is not recognized. It shows up in Device manager as the
    >default USB device, so I can't update the correct driver.
    >
    > Dell says it's a software problem, and they had me reinstall Windows XP
    > and revert the laptop to factory settings. That didn't help.
    >
    > I ran the full diagnostic on the machine, and it does not recognize an
    > error on the ports.
    >
    > My question: If this is a software problem, wouldn't reverting to factory
    > settings fix it, if the problem only recently surfaced?
    >
    > If it's a hardware problem, why didn't it show up in the full diagnostics?

USB Devices Windows XP