Generic .mdmp and appcompat.txt errors driving me insane!

July 8, 2005 10:48:03 PM

These strange generic errors have plauged my system in what seems like its
entire life. They happen often, and effect random programs for random periods
of time. Every time I try to run the control panel these errors occur.
Whenever drwtsn32 runs, I receive an error of this type. What are these
errors? TEMP errors! I attempt to open the program, it says "this program
encountered an error and needs to close" and then closes. So far this has
happened (on and off) to Internet Explorer, the control panel, microsoft
word, almost every game program I've ever owned, and just recentley to Adobe
Photoshop (which frankly pissed me off, and drove me to ask for assistance on
these forums. I'm sure you've seen this error before, and it appears to be a
very common one, and I'm assuming its a generic error spouted by windows when
something goes wrong with a program, but I will post the error log for Adobe
photoshop.

Please, please if anyone knows what's going on, please point me in the right
direction; this error is driving me insane!

log of the Adobe Photoshop error:
*attempts to run program*
*program MIRACULOUSLY WORKS*

oh, wow! It seems that in the course of posting this, photoshop has decided
to start working again! (This should give you a picture of the random and
frustrating aspect of these generic errors)

So, instead I will show you the log of the one that occurs when I attempt to
start the control panel:

EventType : BEX P1 : drwtsn32.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.0 P3 : 3b7d84a2
P4 : dbghelp.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 4110969a P7 : 0001295d
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\Matthew\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb020.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Matthew\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb020.dir00\appcompat.txt

Oh, it seems that this is one of those rare and exotic drwtsn32 ones... but
the error message is identical for every program (just replace drwtsn32 with
the name of the program)

Thanks
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:13:30 AM