CPU Usage Peaks at >95% upon switching users

July 8, 2005 10:49:01 PM

I have what I hope is a simple problem. I have Windows XP Professional.
When one person logs off the computer and another person logs on, the
explorer.exe peaks at greater than 95% when viewed from the windows task
manager, thus slowing down all other applications when using the computer.
The only way I found to stop this is physically turn off, then turn on the
computer... which has become an annoyance. However, recently I have needed
to turn the computer off and on several times so explorer.exe does not go up
to almost 100% CPU Usage. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this
problem?

Thanks and very grateful,
Carl
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:31:29 PM

"Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have what I hope is a simple problem. I have Windows XP Professional.
> When one person logs off the computer and another person logs on, the
> explorer.exe peaks at greater than 95% when viewed from the windows task
> manager, thus slowing down all other applications when using the computer.
> The only way I found to stop this is physically turn off, then turn on the
> computer... which has become an annoyance. However, recently I have
> needed
> to turn the computer off and on several times so explorer.exe does not go
> up
> to almost 100% CPU Usage. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this
> problem?
>
> Thanks and very grateful,
> Carl

Find out what is using the cpu time and give its name- other than that no
one can say what it is.
Press Control-Alt and Delete at the same time- look at the list, it gives
the CPU usage. When you know what is using the time then a web search also
brings lots of help.
July 9, 2005 5:31:30 PM

Alan,

Thanks for addressing my question. The process that is using all the CPU is
called "explorer.exe". When I end this process, I lose my entire desktop but
the computer works faster. When I start this process again throught the task
manager applications, again the "explorer.exe" is the process that is using
up all the CPU. As before, the only way that I currently can fix this
problem is turning off the computer and turning it back on again. Any
thoughts?

Carl

!