CPU Usage Peaks at >95% upon switching users

I have what I hope is a simple problem. I have Windows XP Professional.
When one person logs off the computer and another person logs on, the
explorer.exe peaks at greater than 95% when viewed from the windows task
manager, thus slowing down all other applications when using the computer.
The only way I found to stop this is physically turn off, then turn on the
computer... which has become an annoyance. However, recently I have needed
to turn the computer off and on several times so explorer.exe does not go up
to almost 100% CPU Usage. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this
problem?

Thanks and very grateful,
Carl
2 answers Last reply
More about usage peaks switching users

    "Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have what I hope is a simple problem. I have Windows XP Professional.
    > When one person logs off the computer and another person logs on, the
    > explorer.exe peaks at greater than 95% when viewed from the windows task
    > manager, thus slowing down all other applications when using the computer.
    > The only way I found to stop this is physically turn off, then turn on the
    > computer... which has become an annoyance. However, recently I have
    > needed
    > to turn the computer off and on several times so explorer.exe does not go
    > up
    > to almost 100% CPU Usage. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this
    > problem?
    >
    > Thanks and very grateful,
    > Carl

    Find out what is using the cpu time and give its name- other than that no
    one can say what it is.
    Press Control-Alt and Delete at the same time- look at the list, it gives
    the CPU usage. When you know what is using the time then a web search also
    brings lots of help.

    Alan,

    Thanks for addressing my question. The process that is using all the CPU is
    called "explorer.exe". When I end this process, I lose my entire desktop but
    the computer works faster. When I start this process again throught the task
    manager applications, again the "explorer.exe" is the process that is using
    up all the CPU. As before, the only way that I currently can fix this
    problem is turning off the computer and turning it back on again. Any
    thoughts?

    Carl

    "Alan Smith" wrote:

    > "Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have what I hope is a simple problem. I have Windows XP Professional.
    > > When one person logs off the computer and another person logs on, the
    > > explorer.exe peaks at greater than 95% when viewed from the windows task
    > > manager, thus slowing down all other applications when using the computer.
    > > The only way I found to stop this is physically turn off, then turn on the
    > > computer... which has become an annoyance. However, recently I have
    > > needed
    > > to turn the computer off and on several times so explorer.exe does not go
    > > up
    > > to almost 100% CPU Usage. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this
    > > problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks and very grateful,
    > > Carl
    >
    > Find out what is using the cpu time and give its name- other than that no
    > one can say what it is.
    > Press Control-Alt and Delete at the same time- look at the list, it gives
    > the CPU usage. When you know what is using the time then a web search also
    > brings lots of help.

Computers Explorer Windows XP